We have come so far and yet...

"Joshua told the people,
'Consecrate yourselves,
for tomorrow
the Lord will do
amazing things among you.'"

Joshua 3:5 


Everyone hoped that from today masks and social distancing would be no more as life steadily returns to normal within our land.  Who would have believed we’d have to book a seat in church, not be allowed to sing, or talk to others in the congregation?   We certainly have never passed this way before!

 Yet, just as the Lord provided for the Israelites in the Wilderness of Sin, He provided us with the internet which has been a lifeline in numerous ways.  And, with an uncertain future, we have learnt to depend more upon Him and our belief He is using this time to draw people to Himself.  We have also experienced as God's people creative gifts, unseen talents and abilities released, along with incredible advances in many different fields.  God's Word says when we invest in His Kingdom we will reap an abundant harvest. In this last decade as the darkness has grown, the Lord has been orchestrating our battles, providing incredible breakthroughs and revealing to us we haven’t passed this way before.

On our recent sunny days I have been re-reading my books and can only conclude that in having the pen of a ready writer (translated: fingers on a computer) I am not the author, but have merely released the story as dictated to me.  I am as surprised, as I hope the readers are, of the reality of the characters and how the plots interweave.  Maybe all writers feel this way, blessed by the gift the Lord has given.

Compared to the days of pen and paper, or typewriters, writing a book has been made easy with grammar and spell checkers along with Google for our research.   However, despite being a fast typist and accurate on paper, I find it impossible to spot mistakes on a computer screen.  I have paid people to proof read the books, it rare to find grammar or spelling mistakes, but my greatest source of frustration is missing out words, or leaving in unwanted ones. Worst still is in correcting those errors I make more, and, despite careful reading, I fail to see them, yet once on paper they are obvious.  It makes me wonder why the Lord employed me as His typist!  As I write this the Lord has reminded me that the Apostle Paul complained to the Lord about having ‘a thorn in the flesh’, and the Lord answered, “My grace is sufficient, for My power is made perfect in weakness”.  So as Paul did, I'll embrace that promise, and take comfort in it.

The books I write I believe are called, ‘Crossover’ fiction, a very apt name for the times I believe we are in. God has moved, and is moving His people beyond the boundaries of church sending them to out to touch and change lives with His love. We have not passed this way before, and I believe as we devote ourselves to the Lord and His calling on our lives “tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among us”.

 

Comments

  1. Thank you for this hopeful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we have not passed this way before. Some interesting thoughts .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really helpful. Difficult times still in church. We can't even have a big celebration this coming weekend to say 'goodbye' to our vicar and his wife, who are retiring. So sad.

    Regarding corrections and proofreading etc. I've by no means nailed this but I have found it helpful to take part in our university workshops where we proofread and comment on others work and they on ours + the lecturer! I've certainly learnt to peruse my work with a finer comb than before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like your analogy between crossover fiction and the days in which we live. Very apt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very inspiring post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six comments! Thank you everyone to read them is so encouraging, and I should do more to encourage others, for we are all in this together, but I would be useless, except if on paper seeing others mistakes. However, I have helped two friends write their autobiography in a more readable and interesting way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks fir pointing out there is always hope. I couldn’t agree more

    ReplyDelete
  8. We need to be encouraged even more in these difficult times. Perhaps if you were perfect, and never ever made a mistake in writing, we would find you less endearing, Ruth. I often berate myself for the many mistakes I make (and they're getting worse with age!) but then as you so rightly say, even St Paul had a thorn in the flesh. Thank you for this lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment