A win-win situation by Jane Walters

I have a good friend who is training to become a coach; and, because I’m a good friend, I offered to become one of her victims coachees. Every month, she sends me a short list of questions to consider before our Zoom meeting, so we both have an idea of what ground to cover and what progress is being made.

(copyright Reality Explorers)

Last month, one of the three questions had me stumped. It wasn’t that I couldn’t understand it – I mean, I do know how to read – but I had no idea how to answer. ‘What wins can we celebrate?’ My first thought was, How glorious! A celebration! "We" - that's practically "together"! Some words just do that to the soul, don’t they? But after I’d laid aside thoughts of Pimms and sunshine, I had to dig a bit deeper.

Wins. Hmm...

I tend to think in terms of writing, naturally, and the coaching is designed to reflect that. The trouble is, as alluded to last month, I’m actually in a season of tent-making. What on earth had I won in the past month? A blog-post, some vague ideas for another novel, a fresh bio for an online review. It was stuff I could barely admit, let alone raise a glass to.

My friend pressed me further. (Apparently coaches are allowed to do this, especially when you don’t want them to.) I mumbled about the work I was doing on the house, half-apologetically, but had barely finished when she responded, ‘Well, I think those are really big wins.’

Oh…

The penny dropped and rolled across the laminate while it could. (The forthcoming carpet will soon put a stop to such antics.) My perspective was all off. I’d given myself a zero when it was worthy of a good nine. My inner critic had berated me for my feeble writing output and ignored the substantial gains I’d made elsewhere.

Life simply isn’t one-dimensional, is it? We might focus on some aspect or other to the exclusion of others for a while, but we are more well-rounded beings than that. Perhaps, like me, you’re not writing much at the moment. Perhaps you’re writing loads but despair at what you’re producing. Whatever your situation, cut yourself some cake slack and look at what’s around you. It might even prove inspiration for the next time you pick up your pen…


Jane Walters is the author of Too Soon (Jane Clamp, SPCK) and seems to appear most days on UCB2. She is preparing to lead 2 creative writing retreats in the autumn, for details see her website: www.janewyattwalters.com

She is vice-chair of ACW.


Comments

  1. So true. Very often the wins are the things that are stopping you from writing but which have great value in themselves. I won't be writing much this weekend as we have had the grandchildren staying but yesterday 8 year old Elijah said, 'We're really lucky to have such nice grandparents,' and, set against comments like that, the writing didn't seem so important! There is another possibility, which is that he was talking about his maternal grandparents, not us, but I'll stay with my first interpretation ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing for Elijah to have said! Write it down! (And that counts as writing: another win :)

      Delete
  2. And your earlier 'wins' are even now being read by numerous New Daylight readers! Well done, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Susan! That comment was an iced drink on a hot day...

      Delete
  3. Needed that today. Thank you! Need to remember that every little achievement is great, even when the big things still seem to be a battle not yet won. And to cut myself more cake...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it doesn't help that we're bombarded with messages about reaching high and digging deep and all that stretching stuff when actually the shuffling steps still move us forwards. And cake always helps!!

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of cutting ourselves some cake/ slack! You're absolutely right that every little thing that we do and immerse ourselves into can be fuel for the writing fire even if it's not something we immediately use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True dat, Jane! An important reminder to celebrate everything, especially the tiny steps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Jane. A mammoth amount to domestic chores are awaiting my attention at the end of my university course. It's hard to know just where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post, full of wisdom and light. Thank you, Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment