Three years on


I've just passed my three year milestone on the blog. What a privilege! There is a full set, apart from Feb '19 when I was going through a mega stressful time trying to access residential care for my 97-year-old Mum.

When Wendy took the risk of offering me a slot it felt like a BIG challenge. In awe of the quality contributions and writing credentials of others, I knew I'd have to hit the ground galloping. What if ideas failed me ..... if I couldn't hit deadlines ..... if nobody wanted to read ..... if technology defeated me ..... ?

Then there was the generous dose of imposter syndrome that I finally owned up to in my April blog this year. People were bound to see through me!

But Wendy encouraged me to have a go, taking me by the hand, guiding me through the technicalities and outlining the brief: 'write about writing, reading and/or Christianity in 500 words.' Now Wendy has handed over to Rosemary and guidelines for contributions have recently come under fierce scrutiny via the ACW Facebook page. Our inspired and diligent committee are reconsidering them next meeting.

I'm so conscious of the quality of writing tips which others constantly provide to my benefit. Any writing ability I have is more instinctive than learned. I have never undertaken a writing course (and it's a bit late in the day now), but I take heart from those hugely successful and prolific writers who are also a bit short on the nuts and bolts of the trade.

On my desk is a neat pile of books on such topics as:  Show not Tell; Plot and Structure; Writer's Toolkit; Deep Point of View etc. I have dipped in and out but they still sit looking at me, shouting Must Do Better!

Initially I told myself I could get away with writing mostly about 'Reading', and 'Christianity'. Plenty of scope there. But then there were comments about the need to step up the writing bit. Hopefully they weren't directed at me in particular, but I took them to heart and tried. Still, I have to confess I've received much more on that front than I have ever been able to give.

Ideas for topics have popped up with surprising regularity from the most unlikely triggers – until this one, which has given me the space to stop and reflect on the journey. What an eclectic mix of interests and subjects: from Goldfish and Ignatius of Loyola; WhatsApping great Grandma; Rejection; Beyond Brexit; You can always take up Knitting; Wisdom in Humour; St Benedict and the Corona Virus; Paradise Deferred (through the eyes of a tortoise); Writing across the Generation Gap; My First Nano – and many more, through to Fiction with Fangs last month.

Next time I might write about the New Normal (if I can decide what to think about it) and the likely implications for writers.  Something else to ponder.

Thanks for being such supportive readers.





Eileen Padmore retired some time ago from a life spent in health care and academia with a vow to indulge in writing more creatively and less academically. Her background in Africa, Eire, Northern Ireland (in the troubles) as well as inner city Birmingham and Leeds, provides plenty of copy. She has had articles published by Woman Alive, Christian Writer and contributed to the popular ACW Lent Book.

Eileen operates a dynamic prayer shawl ministry under the name of Tabitha. You can read about it here.


Comments

  1. I've always really enjoyed reading your posts, Eileen, and enjoyed this today. I love that we have such a diverse and eclectic group of writers on this blog and love all the different viewpoints and experience that brings. Congratulations on three years of More Than Writing!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. Great to hear from you. Agree about the 'diverse and eclectic mix' of writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the post sent to my email. Yeah like I said, I love the post as it feels like reading a letter from a family member who is giving off juicy bits, advice, suggestions for the way forward on stuff. You know, that caring attitude that draws one in.
    Congrats for being 3 years on!!

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sophia. Yes, I suppose it was a kind of letter to family xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Eileen. We all learn from others. I am so grateful for advice I continue to pick up. Sometimes it is years later before I realise hey this bit applies to me where I am with my writing NOW but that's fine. And if it is any comfort we all fight Imposter Syndrome. It's a dreadful beast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Allison. So encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the things you feel about writing on this blog, Eileen, I do too. Thank you for the honesty and comradeship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a heart warming word - ‘comradeship’. Thanks Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally get this. Totally. When Wendy asked me to join, I gulped and immediately was attacked by a bad case of Imposter Syndrome. All these talented writers, writing amazing stuff which was miles better than mine, AND I'd never had any fiction published. I was just a scribbler paid by the hour. Soon, surely, they would find me out. Whoever "they" were. And yet, nineteen months on from my original blog, I've grown in confidence and changed as a writer. Why? Because of this amazing community of creative, generous people who have been so good for my self-esteem. Honesty and letting your slip show - two hugely important things. I also read those comments, Eileen, and questioned myself. Was I writing enough about writing? Very few of the people who shared their views on that topic comment on the blog - so I think the answer must be yes. Your blog has inspired me to go back and read through your contributions again - how did I miss "WhatsApping Great Grandma?" Happy 3rd anniversary, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ruth. Yes, you've had a meteoric rise up the polls in my estimations. Had no idea your starting point was similar. Thanks for going back over the blogs. So appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment