Genres by Allison Symes

Image Credit:  Images created in Book Brush using Pixabay photos.

One thing I love about flash fiction writing is because such a short form calls out for the stories to be character led, I can set them wherever and whenever I want. This is because I simply don’t have the word count room for lots of description so I must set the scene quickly and I often use the characters themselves to show a reader the setting. 

 

I’ve written flash as historical flash, crime tales, ghost stories and so on and I thought I’d share a few definitions of genre types.

Fantasy - set in a world far, far away. Lots of monsters. Characters will be sent on a quest. There will be snow. There will be giant spiders. Magic is both a pain and a deliverance. 

Wiser characters will never despise the “old crone” or the “old man” because they always turn out to be powerful magical characters in disguise. Women with spinning wheels should be distrusted. 

And never eat or drink anything which has a sign next to it encouraging you to do exactly that. (I have long thought Alice was either gullible or just plain greedy). 

 Historical Fiction - Set in the past, these bring either real characters from history to life and show us something new about them, or the stories will be about characters who could have been around the real life characters.

“What if” can come into this, especially for alternative histories. One downside - unless you are writing alternative history, you can’t change the ending. Much as I think Richard III has been maligned, I could not write a book about him and pretend Bosworth didn’t happen or he won it!

 Crime - I know, I know! This is self defining in many ways. Usually the crime is murder. Ranges from the cosy mysteries to the gory kind. I prefer my crime stories on the cosy scale. Can often seem to be puzzles for the reader to work out. 

Has a gift for defining certain places as locations not to go to at all if you want to survive - Midsomer and St. Mary Mead are classic examples. There ought to be a bus tour of places not to go to thanks to all the fictional murders committed there. Or do you think something would happen to anyone brave or foolish enough to go on said bus tour?

Character Studies - Usually poignant. Works best when kept short (so flash fiction is ideal for these, not that I’m biased… much).

Ghost Stories - I’m always pleased when the ghost is not the villain. (A Christmas Carol is my favourite ghost story - The Muppet version is the best adaptation of it too). Yes, ghost stories can be scary. Some would say that was the point but they can be poignant too. Again referring to Dickens’ great work, there is something poignant about Marley not being set free from his chains.

 Okay then, over to you. What are your favourite genres and why?

Comments

  1. Love every bit of this except for the spiders! Can this be a breakout session in our upcoming (I can dream!) retreat? Thank you for such a great overview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. I'm afraid the spiders do turn up frequently - The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter etc.

      Delete
  2. I do like ghost stories and magic realism. It is interesting that you write that you prefer the ghost not to be the villain. I agree that A Christmas Carol works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. A Christmas Carol also shows us the power of choices too I think - compare Marley with the redeemed Scrooge.

      Delete
  3. Loved this! Spinning wheels are always bad. Lots of symbolism. Have you read Angela Carter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. Haven't read Angela Carter though have heard of her. I ought to check her works out. Any recommendations on where to start?

      Delete
  4. A useful definition, Alison. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. I hope it was a fun one too!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this. Defining genres is a great idea. I would have liked a lot more! For instance I am unsure whether my current novel is gothic, paranormal mystery, or magical realism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SC. I think defining all of the genres would lead to a good couple of years' worth of blog posts on MTW though! Also what do you do about cross-genres (and Harry Potter is a good example of that)?

      Delete
  6. Where can I read your flash fiction, Allison, are you on Twitter? What's an example of a cosy mystery? I was intrigued by that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am on Twitter, Martin. Am also on Facebook and Youtube. A cosy mystery is a crime novel without gore basically. Justice is always done, the villain is always caught, but the horror of, say, a murder is not looked at in any depth.

      Delete
    2. You could also define a cosy mystery as a "puzzle" to be solved but you know from the start it will be resolved. That's not always the case for the grittier crime books, Martin.

      Delete

Post a Comment