How do you like to party?

 

In case you haven’t noticed, the Association of Christian Writers is celebrating its golden jubilee this year. Fifty years of supporting and encouraging Christians who write – that represents a humungous number of words written, and a huge impact on many people. The Bible talks about a year of jubilee rather than a single moment, so of course we’re going to spin the partying out over a twelve-month period. (Even hardened introverts like me can see the value of having multiple celebrations instead of just one.)

 

Of course, it’s easy to celebrate when it’s a big occasion or you’re with a group of special friends. Where we sometimes struggle is when it comes to celebrating our writing on a personal level. We’re too good at looking at what we’d like to accomplish and feeling we’ve somehow fallen short. Maybe we play down our achievements because we haven’t won the Booker or had a book published, or we’ve just received our forty-seventh rejection letter of the week.

 

·       Sitting down to write, whether by hand or on the computer – even if you only manage a few words, that’s still more than you started with.

·       Finishing a piece of writing – I’m sure it’s not only me who has dozens of abandoned writing projects languishing on their laptop. Finishing something is a big deal.

·       Editing something you’ve written (I find it’s better to do this after I’ve finished the first draft) – it might not sound exciting, particularly to non-writers, but having the determination (and the humility) to work on improving something takes perseverance.

·       Sharing your words with someone else – let’s face it, this is one of the scarier things we do as writers.

·       Getting something – anything! – published. I don’t just mean a book-deal - even a letter in the local newspaper or an article in the church magazine is something to be proud of.

·       Hear me put on this one – not writing. Because sometimes, it’s more important to give time to something else (including our mental health), and giving ourselves permission to do this can be a solid, five-star achievement. (And it’ll almost certainly benefit our writing in the long run.)


Of course, how you celebrate is up to you, but my reward for finishing this post comes in a glass …


Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and is married with three grown-up children. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona writes regularly for Together magazine, and also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. Agree with all this, Fiona. I find sharing my writing with anybody very hard, especially the people closest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a scary thing to do, isn't it? It's really hard to share something you've invested a lot of time in, knowing that others might not see it the same way as you do.

      Delete
  2. Good advice and I should take it, as a person with a number of things crying out to be finished this week. But you're right - we need to take breaks too and that is jolly hard. I just strimmed down some nettles and weeds while thinking about just how Isabella's gardener Ted would speak to her. Is that research? Possibly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like part of the writing process to me! And strimming nettles sounds very therapeutic.

      Delete
  3. This is so true. And often, looking back (in writing and in life) it's those 'small' everyday achievements that bring the most pleasure. The bigger ones can be too stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - and I think learning to celebrate the "small" achievements is so important for our mental health.

      Delete
  4. I hope to be able to celebrate a certificate in Creative and Critical Writing from my local University this autumn. I find out if I've passed at the end of June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, how exciting! Please let us know when you find out.

      Delete
  5. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it, I have read about DR EDAGHONGHON the great herbalist doctor who cure me from herpes with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 3 days! I used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! it's really like a dream but i am so happy! for the people suffering from the following diseases, Cancer, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, Arthritis, Hpv, Infections,Liver Disease,, Autoimmune Diseases, Parkinson's disease,,Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes and his medicine is legit. I sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which I took for 3 good weeks and today am out here with a negative result. When I went for the test I was so happy after going through his medication. you can reach him through his email: dr.edaghonghonherbalhome@gmail.com or call whatsapp number:+2349056731866 he will help you out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment