Team Work by Emily Owen

“Please, God, be her Marketer.”

I was in a meeting, which closed by sharing prayer points and praying for each other.

My prayer point was marketing. 

I’m rubbish at it.

Earlier this week, I was in a school, talking to a group of Year Six children about being an author. 

I mentioned marketing, and asked if any of them knew what marketing is?

The first suggestion was ‘putting the author's name on the front of a book – their first name and their second name’.

Good start, but oh that marketing was summed up by that.

Another task that befell me at the school, was to shatter the illusion that all authors are millionaires.

The children were pretty shocked by this revelation, but I reassured them that, every so often, I get enough in royalties to buy myself a cup of tea (if I provide my own tea bag).


Next month includes World Book Day.

The day coincides with one of the children's birthday.

It also coincides with a book I have coming out.

I showed the children a copy.

One girl asked how I had learned to draw such an amazing cover.

She was perhaps a little disappointed when I had to say that I can’t draw, but it was a good opportunity to talk about team-work within publishing.

As was the question about whether I write a certain genre.

I was glad to be able to say that, although I don’t, other writers will. 

Team-work.

Team-work that includes pray-ers.

Please, God, be her Marketer.

It was Tracy Williamson who prayed that prayer for me.

I invite us to share it.

Please, God, be my Marketer.

Be on my team.

Be my Inspirer.

Be my Encourager.

Be my….





Comments

  1. Thanks Emily, that team work is so important isn't it. And you have so often been the channel of God's inspiration to me and encouragement and help! I know your book will be such a joy. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... Managing Director, Personal Assistant, Secretary, Adviser, Trader, Business Partner, Planning Executor and my everything! Wow, very lovely post, Emily. May God hear this prayer for us all. AMEN!Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes; amen from me! ~Emily

      Delete
  3. Thank you Emily I had a good giggle at that. I am also grateful to all the people who help me beta reading and sharing their experiences. It’s like a writing family. Bless you 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That’s a great way to out it - ‘writing family’. ~Emily

      Delete
  4. Thank you, so lovely to read! Yes, it's lovely to see a whole book coming together with the help of a team! And marketing is something I cringe at...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post, it is very humorous, you have a lovely, feel good style of writing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Emily, it would be a rare thing to have all the skills needed to publish a book these days. Great lesson for the children to hear that they don't need to be good at everything. Play to your strengths and collaborate with others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment