Scheduled to Write by Joy Margetts

 Things have changed since my last More Than Writers blog. Last month I wrote about how sometimes we need change, and rest, and to reset ourselves. I think as creatives that is especially important, to make time for ourselves. This is what I wrote,

I actually haven’t been able to write ‘proper’ for weeks now. That is, work on my fiction writing. I have written stuff, but because of the demands on my time and energy I just haven’t felt like I have had the headspace for creativity. I don’t think I’m the only one feeling like that at present. I have realised that I miss my fiction writing and I need it. I need to exercise my creative side. I need to be able to lose myself in my imaginary medieval world. It is an escape and it is life giving! A change that gives me a rest from the things I have to face in real life.

So what has changed since last month? Well I am actually writing again! In fact in the last three weeks I have added over 20,000 words to my new novel - another imaginary tale, set in my beloved medieval Wales. And as expected it has been so good for me! It has given me energy and improved my mood, it has given me a place of release, and a place of escape.

Image courtesy of Canva

TOO BUSY TO WRITE?

Have the other demands on my time and energy gone away? No. In fact I have been very busy. I am blessed that I don’t have to go out to work, but I volunteer several hours a week for the church, have at least one day a week, sometimes two, where I care for the grandchildren and I still have to look out for elderly parents who live nearby. Add to that some exciting new projects, like the development of our new Kingdom Story Writers group (www.kingdomstorywriters.co.uk – sneaky plug there). And learning how to record and produce a new Kingdom Story Writers Podcast (yep, second sneaky plug – it’s available on all major platforms 😊). Oh and planning for, and administrating the bookings for, our 2024 Writing Kingdom Stories Retreat ( www.kingdomstorywriters.co.uk/retreat-2024 - third and final sneaky plug! It’s only because I’m excited and want you to get excited too!)




SCHEDULING TIME TO WRITE

The most significant change I have made, one that has freed me to write again, is that I made the decision that I needed to schedule writing time into my week. It had felt like an indulgence – that the other things in my life were more important, more worthy of my time and attention. But, when I thought about it, surely one afternoon a  week wasn’t asking for too much? The other 6.5 days I can give myself to other things. But surely one half day a week to write stories is OK?

Why do we feel guilty about making time to write? Or is that just me? I don’t think so. Many of us can’t write all the time. We have work, family and other demands to navigate. We may love writing, but it often has to take second place to other things. And we can come up with so many reasons not to write - it doesn’t earn me much, it doesn’t help anyone else, other things are more important, it is only a hobby after all.


THE SACRED SPACE

I was in a prayer meeting with some other writers earlier this month, and what God so beautifully reminded us of during that time was that our ability to write is a gift from Him. And that if we allow Him to, He can enable us to write words that bring hope and life and joy to others. If we see our writing that way – as something He has given us to do, and that He has a purpose for, then it automatically transforms our thinking. Making time to write is no longer an indulgence, rather it is a necessity. A response of obedience to the call of the Father to partner with Him.

I look forward so much to my Wednesdays now! It’s my day to be creative with Jesus! I spend time with Him in the morning (and get those necessary niggling chores done) and then the whole afternoon is given over to writing. The time speeds by, and the words fly from my fingertips, because He is with me. In scheduling time to write it has made space for me to not only enjoy exploring my creativity, but also to put myself right in the centre of what God wants for me. And that time has become sacrosanct – nothing else impinges on it. And it has become sacred, in every sense of the word.

And you know what else? I am so gripped by the story I am writing that I have found other time to write as well. Time I didn’t realise that I had. It seems that scheduling has turned out to be the release valve that I needed.



  Joy Margetts writes Christian Historical Fiction. Her debut novel 'The Healing' was published in March 2021, and her second ‘The Pilgrim’ in July 2022. Her third novel 'The Bride' was  published 20th October 2023. She has also recently published her first non-fiction book, an Advent Devotional entitled 'Christ Illuminated'.

 Joy makes her home in beautiful North Wales and takes her inspiration from its rich spiritual history and stunning landscapes. She is also wife, mother and grandmother and a lover of the Word of God. Her personal blog and more information about her books can be found here www.joymargetts.com 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I think some of this is to do with other people's reactions. If I say to someone, 'I'm not free on Tuesday because that's my day for housework and grandchildren,' the reaction is usually, 'Oh, no worries! Another time.' If I say, 'I've put that day aside to write,' their faces tell a different story as though I've said, 'That's my day to slob about reading Hello magazine and eating a whole packet of Hobnobs and I'm not shifting it, even for you.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm already getting that reaction! The blank look of incomprehension. And almost feeling like I have to apologise?Although I'm not saying that the hobnobs might not make an appearance!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post. Thanks to God for getting your writing flow back! The rest you had paid off as well. Wishing you God's continued favour in your writing, Joy. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just goes to show there's nowt so queer as folk! Those who look huffy with incomprehension are often avid readers themselves! If I could insert a smiley face I would have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Yes, I have grabbed the Monday school day as my writing day, although it's not always possible. But like Fran, I feel myself struggling to actually defend that time! But having spent time writing, it energises me the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiring post Joy. Your name is God given, as you bring joy to everyone who reads your writing. I was thinking, if this is what you do with just half a day of writing, imagine what God has in store for you, and I love the way you are getting so gripped by it that you have found even more time run into your world of writing because it is so alive in you.

    I can relate to so much that you mention in your blog.

    I have also recently heard about Kingdom Story Writers, on Joanna Watson's website. I will have a look at it.

    May God continue to bless you as you escape into your world of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, delighted to hear the update! I just commented on another post by Derrice that I have been reading 'The Organised Writer' by Antony Johnston. He would very much approve of putting writing time in your calendar as a fixed commitment. If you have to cancel it for any reason, the rule of thumb is that you must reschedule rather than just strike it off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment