When technology fails... and when it doesn't.

Six days ago, we moved house. Three days ago, we were meant to have internet installed but no one turned up. I kept meaning to arrange someone else to cover this blog, but I never got round to it, so here I am, typing this, hoping to get it online via the one bar of 4G signal on my phone. (The computer isn’t set up yet either. My desk is in pieces on the floor of the new office, waiting for an adjustment so it can fit beneath the built-in bookshelves.)

There are times when technology is wonderful and times when it isn’t. Anyone who’s self published, designed their own author website, or done anything at all involving Microsoft Word, can surely attest to that. 


Yet, I’ve discovered you can do rather a lot on a phone with one bar of signal when you have to. 

Tesco shops. Address changes. School applications (those require a bit of running around outside waving your phone in the air). Bus journeys to one new school have turned into opportunities to make use of some extra bars, catching up on admin and phoning all those companies who tell you to visit their website when their website tells you you’d better call. 


Image by Claudio Bianchi at pixabay.com


I have also used my phone in the past for noting down quick writing ideas. Not in the last few weeks (my brain had been otherwise occupied) but before that. Those times I wake in the middle of the night and can’t return to sleep because my characters keep having conversations in my head – when turning on a light and finding a notebook would disturb my husband – the notes app on my phone, huddled under a cover, does the job nicely. 


Recently, I’ve extended this to dictation. I used to have to stop washing up, swiftly drying my hands to jot down ideas in a notebook before the characters wander off somewhere else in the imaginary land I’ve created. Invariably, I’d forget to go back to the washing up. Ah – no longer. Now I can continue the conversation, dictating to my phone which cordially types it out for me, granted with plentiful spelling mistakes and amusing interpretations of character names which have to be edited later. Still, the jist of it goes into that note, “Book Title future scenes.” 


I have several of these notes now, for the different projects I’m working on. I know many writers will use Scrivener or something fancy like that, but this simple method works for me right now; it keeps one more juggling ball skybound that could so easily land at my feet and get squashed. So, I'm grateful to God for that.


Hopefully this blog will somehow make it onto t’internet tomorrow. If it does, I’d love to hear your technology difficulties and triumphs. What works, and doesn’t work, for you? Perhaps we can inspire each other for moments like these, when life throws you extra balls.  



Natasha Woodcraft lives with her husband, 4 sons, a spotty dog, a cantankerous bunny and some much maligned fish. She believes stories have power to communicate deep truth and transform lives. Her published novels, The Wanderer Scorned & The Wanderer Reborn, explore God’s redemptive purposes for messy people by reimagining the tale of Cain & Abel. Also a songwriter, Natasha peppers her emotional prose with poetry and song. 






Comments

  1. Well done Natasha, you are a woman of perseverance. Technology can often be frustrating but where would we be without it. My biggest ever tech failure was somehow losing the first 5 chapters of a novel. I was so gutted and almost gave up, but then God nudged me with the thought of, 'It was meant to be, now write it even better.' It was a hard lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness! I’ve cried for a day about losing a webpage or email. I can’t imagine losing 5 chapters! Thanks so much for writing it again. He does have a reason doesn’t he? I’m sure when I’ve had to rewrite things it has been for the best, but it hurts!

      Delete
  2. Very lovely post, Natasha, thanks! I sure have loads of tech stuff that I find so challenging and even feel ill thinking about learning to tackle them: formating on KDP, using igramspaks,book bub, etc Using my phone for some programs, etc. Tech nowledgeisgreat. Thank God you were able to use your phone instead!! Hope they fix internet asap! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Formatting is such a steep learning curve! It took me so so long to learn it for my first book. I couldn’t believe publishing was more challenging than writing but I got there in the end and it was worth it. Of course, now I’ve forgotten most of it! I try to make note of everything I do, I can’t rely on my memory lasting the months between publishing books.

      Delete
  3. Well done for getting a post out. I have this lovely image now of you running around your garden with your phone in the air x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I’ll have to get the kids to video me doing the “find signal” dance! 😆 I’ve just been told it’s much better in the loft… you know where I’ll be writing the next blog from!

      Delete
  4. Well done for not giving up. Hope everything settles down soon and life gets a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It’s not much of a hardship is it? Such a first world problem. But we do come to rely on these things. 🙂

      Delete
  5. Loved that! My laptop has developed random 'black screen' time-outs - a bit like writer's block. I've had to learn to let it do its mini-sabbatical, for a few unnerving minutes, and when it's ready it switches back on. Another delaying tactic it's enjoying is taking control of the cursor. I'm sure I can hear a microchip chuckling before it relinquishes itself back to my care. Well done for persevering!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment