Book stall and boxed pews

 

It’s not even near Christmas yet four weeks ago I had a book stall amongst craft stalls that already looked Christmassy in September! My stall looked quite bare by comparison although I had put up banners and my ever trusty light box changed its colours as beautifully as usual. This was at the much acclaimed Art, Photography and Craft Exhibition in the village of Barton Bendish. Falling into none of the categories, I had pleaded my case to have a stall and tried not to be disappointed that the one I was allocated was in the Church with the crafts and not in the hall with beautiful art and exhibited.


This was a three day event. An evening opening on the Friday, by invite only, all day Saturday and Sunday. My presence wasn’t required all the time because the money was taken centrally. The stalls in the church were tabletops across the boxed pews. My stall spanned two pews so entrance was via one of two pew doors. A large screen had been provided so I was able to stick up information about my writing, display ribboned packs of books in addition to single ones and let everyone know that I could speak, write and teach. I put little notebooks and pens on the hymn book racks in case anyone wanted to have a go at some writing prompts.


I didn’t make many sales on the Friday, although I had interesting conversations with a wide variety of people. Some talked about faith but most about writing. Two declared they never read novels, or anything much. Others announced they always wanted to write a book, but weren’t interested in the idea of a writers’ group. Maybe five people picked up books, read the back and said they might buy them on Amazon, and asked if they were on Kindle.


The lady on the opposite stall watched me as the weekend progressed. Apparently I became bolder as time went on - beginning to ask people if they enjoyed reading and showing them my books from the door to the pew, rather than expecting them to sidle up the narrow space to turn the books over themselves.


I was only there for half the day on Sunday, attending my own church in the morning. I arrived at lunchtime straight from our service and soon I popped off for a cup of tea. When I came back there was a lovely lady reading a copy of Dangerous Dance and excitedly telling her friend all about it. I spent a good 20 minutes talking to her - she was a professional dancer who had worked abroad before setting up her own dance company. She seemed to dance with her hands and voice as she spoke. She hung on to the copy of Dangerous Dance, said how thrilled she was that I had written it, stroked the ‘gorgeous’ cover and eventually . . . wait for it . . . she put it back on the stall and waltzed away!


Disappointed, I carried on chatting to others about how and why I’d written it. I made a few more sales but as the afternoon progressed there were so few potential customers that most of the stalls were packing up early. I dismantled my display and carried somebody books out to the car, going back for the remainder.


There was a sound of running before a very excited woman burst into the church, waving a ten pound note and calling out, ‘I’m not too late, am I?’ It was my lady with the dancing hands, breathless from having rushed home for some money to buy my book!  


No, she wasn’t too late - I unpacked a copy of Dangerous Dance and signed it with a flourish, while she talked and talked about her dancing, her eyes sparkling with the memories.


I feel so blessed to be a writer and love selling my books. Thank you God.




Annie writes novels for adults and young adults. Her latest book, The Dangerous Dance of Emma JJ is published by Kevin Mayhew. Written for young people, it is enjoyed by adults as well. She is now working on an as yet unnamed sequel.

Comments

  1. There will be more joy in heaven for the one who buys your book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Annie! Congratulations on your latest book, 'The Dangerous Dance of Emma'. How lovely that the lady who rushed to buy your book at the 99th hour was also a dancer! Wish you more glorious success with your book to God's glory. Amen. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely uplifting ending to a busy and successful weekend. I like your poster encouraging people to talk to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment