When one book leads to another

Photo by Timon Studler on Unsplash

I'd being thinking of stepping away from reading dystopian novels and reading something more cheerful. 

The news is gloomy enough, without the added horrors of The Handmaids Tale, The Hunger Games and The Stand. But I've been pulled back into that nightmarish genre by one person. Fran Hill.

A few weeks ago, I finished her novel,  Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?

For those that haven't read it, it's a moving, funny and eye opening insight into a teacher's world. It goes right the way though from the tiny year sevens all the way to the fully grown year 13s. 

One of the books her students read, alongside the powerful and hard-hitting The Handmaids Tale, is Cormac McCarthy's The Road. I had heard of it before. Mainly from memes from the film showing up on people' tweets concerning WWIII or the impact of Brexit. But I'd never took the plunge and started reading it, until now. 

I'm only 18% of the way though the sample on my kindle app, so I can't comment much. It seems rather slow paced so far, which makes sense for a book about a boy and his son travelling by foot though a post- apocalyptic wasteland. 

Rebekah, one of the students in Fran's book, says this about McCarthy's style of writing 'McCarthy's writing is like poetry.' she said. 'Isn't it? So beautiful and - and sparse. Like - winter on the page.' This has got me thinking. What does she mean winter on the page? Is it a lack of adverbs or flowery description? Maybe the lack of speech marks? Interestingly, another dystopian book, the brilliant The Boy and His Dog at the End of the World, also doesn't have any speech marks. Was the author influenced by The Road or is it a thing used in this genre? As I reread my post about The Boy and His Dog, which I wrote in July 21, I noticed that I mentioned that although it's a grim book, it does have glimpses of light, as does Stephen King's The Stand. Something tells me, I'll struggle to find any light in this one, unless it's the love of father and son. 

The way this book is written is a huge contrast to Tolkien's writing in Lord of The Rings, which is like summer on the page. Full of life and vivid descriptions. Though I certainly hope there aren't vivid descriptions when it comes to the cannibalism, which I discovered features in The Road from one of the laugh out loud moments in Fran's book: 

Told people at Bible study about Rebekah's comment and how encouraged I'd been. 'Ooooh, I must read The Road if it's so beautiful.' Jean said. Probably should have mentioned the cannibalism and gore, but the moment had passed. I think she normally reads Catherine Cookson.

I admit, I have being guilty myself of writing a few VSS involving cannibalism, but always on the light-hearted side, which this certainly doesn't sound like. I read this passage today:

He raised his face to the paling day. Are you there? he whispered. Will I see you at last? Have you a neck by which to throttle you? Have you a heart? Damn you eternally have you a soul? Oh God, he whispered. Oh God. 

As I read, I couldn't help but think of the devastation that Rohingya refugees are dealing with as a result of the fire that destroyed their refugee camp in Bangladesh. This is probably how I would talk to God if I had another layer of misery poured upon me like they have. 

I don't yet know what disaster caused the misery in McCarthy's novel. The Guardian calls The Road one of the five best climate change novels

What I do know, is that it won't be an easy read. I'm morbidly curious as to the effect that it will have on me. A friend at church said that he cried all the way though the book. I don't know. I hope I'll be able to finish it and not find that I can't bare the bleakness and misery. 

I also don't know when I'll find time to read it. I've still barely began The Fellowship of the Ring. Frodo hasn't even entered the Prancing Pony. And I'm enjoying digging into Deborah Jenkins's novel Braver, so I've got plenty of reading to be getting on with.   

I'm loving Amy Scott Robinson's Lent Devotional images of grace too. A wonderful treat to read and ponder over breakfast. 

I'd love to hear if you've had one book leading to another or what you are reading right now. Let me know in the comments or on Facebook. 

May you always have a book by your side and a good friend to share about it with. 

Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction, and you can find him on Twitter here.


 

 

  



Comments

  1. Tolkien's writing will be more 'like summer' as you say, since he was a practising Catholic Christian and his epic story Lord of the Rings is full of hope, nonetheless he knew all about war and fought in the trenches. His portrait of the Orc soldiers is so good as he knew how the guys talked as the route-marched their men around the horrible muddy fields of Flanders, and kicked them around generally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare, I'm up to chapter 7 - In the house of Tom Bombadil - so a long way from the Orcs at the moment. It really is a fantastic book, with so much depth, so I'll look forward to getting to that part. I'm looking forward to Frodo meeting the Fellowship first.

      Delete
  2. Martin, I was going to say I'm glad to have inspired you but I'm not sure whether it's the right thing to say considering the depressing nature of 'The Road'. I do think it's ultimately hopeful and about the power of love and family but that's hard to see beyond the cannibalism, I admit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran, maybe that will be a follow up post when I've finished it. Maybe on 'eating up books that feature cannibalism'. There's the Road, and numerous books from the Old Testament.

      Delete
  3. Brendan Conboy9 March 2023 at 09:48

    When one book leads to another - for me this has to be a good series. LeHaye & Jenkins left behind series had me gripped and I couldn't wait for the next instalment, I even bought hardbacks. Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy was even more gripping and when he added the fourth book to join the story into a complete circle, that was another hardback. Yes, I love dystopian, especially when it hasn't been desanitised and whitewashed, keep it real. Just like vertigo though, we all have a height that we struggle with (or depth). I recently read 'A Cry for Mercy' by Peter Okonkwo. It is a poetic lament of one man's journey through life and it is some of the darkest writing that I have read. Having said that, I couldn't put it down, as I was hoping for this character to find hope. This book wasn't trying to e dystopian, it was expressing how dark our actual lives can become, and that's what made it such a hard read. I'll stick to dystopian in future, which I know is fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brendan! I know Peter Onokwo from Instagram. Interested to know what attracted you to his book!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Brendan, I only got as far as the first four Left Behind books, but I gobbled up the Harry Potter ones. I'll look up 'A Cry for Mercy'. That sounds really interesting.

      Delete
  4. Don't you just love being inspired by a fellow ACW-er's books? I too read and loved "Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?" and that scene at home group always made me snort. I hope you get to the end of it. I can tell you right now I won't be reading it. Not now, for sure. I'm watching Series 5 of Unforgotten (such beautiful, intelligent writing) and that's enough darkness and depression for now. But as to reading a book and then going on to another - does it count to mention the divine Jane? I chugged through a whole pile of Austen scholarship (Helena Kelly, Paula Bryne et al) when i re read P&P for the umpteenth time in spring 2020. One thing led to another. I would say happy reading - but I think we all know that won't be the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that scene making you snort. I have a feeling we have a similar sense of humour. I'll have to check out that TV series, it looks interesting. Yes, of course Jane Austen counts. You've still never told me what you thought to The Boy and His Dog at the end of the World. I'd love to hear.

      Delete
    2. I read the first few chapters then got distracted by writing a book, or work, or elderly parents or something. It's in the bookcase in the Palace. I will take it away on holiday with me to enjoy properly

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, Martin. Yes I too read and reviewed Fran's book. I got attracted to it as an educationist. It was the first ACWer book I read because I bought it on my first ACW meeting the week I had joined in August 2020! Unfortunately Martin, I'm not reading any book for now though there is a growing pile waiting to be read. I am freshly bereaved and just making preparations to travel to Nigeria. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful book to start your ACW journey with. I never knew you were a teacher. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you have a safe trip to Nigeria and know God's closeness as you grieve.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Martin. Blessings.

      Delete
  6. Appetites - I mean for food - are fascinating how they shift about. And change dramatically sometimes. A bout of food poisoning left me with different tastes. Same sort of thing with books. I usually have a hefty novel on the go (Hilary Mantel ‘A Place of Greater Safety’ at the mo) & maybe a ‘Christian’ book…but somewhere along the way I know I’ll hanker after a good Ian Rankin ‘Rebus’. Every sentence has a certain je ne sais quoi I find. Not read too much dystopia…noted though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment