Jane Austen Extravaganza by Sheila Johnson

 


I have just finished reading this book, listed as a bestseller. It was very well written and in an 'Austen' style. My only complaint was that it painted the character of Cassandra, sorting through Jane's letters after her death, as a very quiet rather uninteresting character with an unhealthy relationship with her sister. As for Jane, she came across as rather crotchety and at times, rude and pointed in her remarks, not the witty, clever judge of human character. Although, with her research, maybe Gill paints the duo correctly. I do hope not. 


This lady, Isobel McArthur, actor and playwright, has a completely different more light-hearted approach, at least to one of Jane's books, Pride and Prejudice with her play - Pride and Prejudice (sort of)', Described by the Sunday Times as "a raucously irreverent romp," my husband and I visited our local theatre this weekend to make our own judgement. The play which won the Best Comedy Award is assured by Isobel, to be very true to the novel which is she says, "so witty and funny." This version is, told by the servants and underscored by karaoke, with the story punctuated by modern pop songs.

However, it turned out to be not quite what I was expecting. Firstly, not only told from the viewpoint of the servants as narrators, but these same five women took all the parts! Just as in Shakespeare's day all the parts were taken by men, this was the reverse, with Mr Darcy, Mr Bingley and Mr Collins all played by one of the women with a quick costume change - interesting. Isobel McArthur explains this as being because Pride and Prejudice is largely a woman's story.

It was very funny in places but I struggled a bit with too much bad language, which was a pity. It would have been funny without it yet it is still worth a visit to see. The five actresses were certainly both musical and flexible.


Sheila Johnson lives in Cheltenham and is a qualified journalist who has written for a number of publications both local and national. She has also written two books under her pen name Sheila Donald, Alpha Male and Waireka. Her website can be found at www.journojohnson.com




Comments

  1. Lovely post, Sheila! Thanks for sharing your view on the books presented here. I haven't read any myself but watched some of them in films. I too don't like too much of bad language in books if it is the swear words you meant. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the play not the book that was loaded with swear words. The book doesn't have any.

      Delete
  2. Ooh lovely! So much Austen. I'm very much immersed in her world at the moment so I enjoyed reading this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you when I posted, Ruth.

      Delete
    2. I am excessively flattered that you did so, my dear Mrs Johnson *adjusts bonnet

      Delete
  3. I bought and tried to read that book where Cassandra is going through Jane's letters - sadly, it becomes dreary, as you say, and I'm afraid it went to the charity shop unfinished in the end. HAs anyone else read the updated versions done for a Jane Austen anniversary a few years ago? There's lovely, very amusing version of Northanger Abbey, updated by Val McDairmead and partly taking place at the Edinburgh Festival, and Emma, by Alexander McCall Smith - less hilarious but quite a good read... I think Joanna Trollope did one as well, but can't remember which of J.A.'s books it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I loved them - that was in 2014. As you say Alexander McCall Smith did Emma, Joanna Trollope did Sense and Sensibility I think and Val McD did the best of the lot with Northanger Abbey. I read the Pride and Prejudice one and loathed it I'm afraid. No one appeared to attempt Persuasion or Mansfield Park which was interesting.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Claire, I might look these up, especially the Alexander McCall Smith. I do like him. I did enjoy the Gill Hornby one too, I just didn't like the way she had represented Jane and Cassandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talk about this book till I'm blue in the face, but it really is so very good. Helena Kelly, Jane Austen the Secret Radical. So well written and revelatory

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Sheila. I saw that production twice in London; once with my better half and once with my daughter who had directed a rollicking version of P & P for her A'level drama ( & garnered a well-deserved A, I can totally unbiasedly report). I wasn't a big fan of Mr McCall Smith's Emma, though I love his Botswana books. I wonder whether you caught 'Lost in Austen', a four-part TV series from 2008 in which a big fan of the book finds herself crawling through her bathroom wall and into the Bennett's house where she has to pretend to be a friend of Lizzie's and generally messes up the story; great fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment