Ebenezer by Emily Owen

 

“Are you going to do it again?”

Last weekend, I was at a conference. During worship, I usually sing-in-sign, as I am deaf. As we sang the first song, I was aware of a girl (8) beside me, copying my sign language. It was beautiful. When it came to the second song, I felt a hand tap me. I looked down, and she whispered;

“Are you going to do it again?”

I bent down:

“Yes I am. Are you going to do it with me?”

She nodded.

God is Faithful (Deuteronomy 7:9)

I remember writing God’s Calling Cards, a book that combines personal testimony, Bible thoughts, and meditations.

With the deadline about a week away, I had a manuscript with a glaring gap. All chapters in the book were to end with a meditation. And all but one did.

During the days that followed, none of my usual inspiration go-tos helped.

I walked in the park, I took bubble baths, I ate chocolate.

And the gap remained.

The night before the deadline arrived. I can vividly see myself sitting at my desk at around 10pm, staring at the gap on my screen.

At the eleventh hour, I did get the inspiration I needed* but, looking back, wouldn’t it have been good if I’d had the wisdom of an eight year old?

“Are you going to do it again?”

Expectation.

God had helped me write the meditations in the rest of the book. 

I knew that.

Ebenezer: 'Hitherto hath the LORD helped us.' (1 Samuel 7:12)

“Are you going to do it again, God?”

Bringing Him into my writing.

“Yes I Am. Are you going to do it with Me?”

God is Faithful.

The One who has helped us is the One who does and will help us.


My little sign language buddy could have decided not to follow my signing.

Perhaps others would have told her not to.

Or she’d have felt she wasn’t quite keeping up.

Or she’d have become discouraged.

Or she’d have become distracted.

Or she’d have decided to go and sit elsewhere.

Yet she didn’t.

She focussed on the one she wanted to follow.

“Are you going to do it again?”

“Yes I am. Are you going to do it with me?”

Ebenezer.

 

*Voices surround me,

blurring to noise as

they compete for my attention.

Telling me

what I should be,

what I shouldn’t be,

what I need,

what I don’t need.

I don’t know how they know,

but they seem so sure.

So confident.

They scare me.

Like wolves, they circle me,

licking their lips,

telling me if I follow them

my fear will go.

I will be what I should be,

I will have what I need.

My feet won’t move.

I’m too scared.

The voices surrounding me

fade to nothing

at my Shepherd’s call.

I’m safe.

Copyright © 2019 Emily Owen

Comments

  1. Beautiful post, Emily! It reminds me about the scripture teling us that we have to be like little children to be able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Isn't it nice to be surrounded by a community of believers who have empathy and are caring? The 8 year old girl might have been scolded for rude behaviour which might have discouraged her from the Christian community. When I look back at past testimonies like you have done,the same thoughts pop up - Will you do it again, God? Was it a one stand glory, God? Can I have a repeat of this blessing, God? May God help us with our faith to boldly ASK God what we really want at the right time, like the 8 year old. Beautiful poem too, Emily! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. Yes, the Bible doesn't say 'become like children' for nothing!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Emily; this has really helped me

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, so wise and beautifully written and has helped me too, today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and encouraging post, Emily. Thank you. The 'Ebenezer' allusion brought back the lovely memory of Hudson Taylor and his two scrolls, one for 'Ebenezer' ('Hitherto ...' as you state above) and 'Jehovah Jireh' (the Lord will provide). I am also reminded of one of many favourite hymns: 'Come, Thou fount of every blessing' with the lines 'Here I raise my Ebenezer;
    hither by thy help I’m come ...' I often find myself smiling with gratitude when these words form part of worship. Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. Yes, I like that line, too 'Here I raise my Ebenezer'. It's lovely to be reminded of it.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful and inspiring post, Emily. I love 'I walked in the park, I took bubble baths, I ate chocolate.' These are my failsafe activities too! But best of all is the part about expecting God to act which of course He always does. This has really helped me today, Emily. Thank you 😍

    And the gap remained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah. Nice that we have the same go-tos! Yes, retaining that sense of expectancy is an important challenge.

      Delete
  6. This is lovely! And very encouraging about our ability to inspire and support others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. Yes, she certainly inspired me.

      Delete

Post a Comment