How Many Writers Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb?

 I have mixed emotions about my former teaching career. I started off teaching maths in secondary schools and, while I loved my subject (yes, really!), I was less enamoured of the attitude of many of my students towards it. This seemed to be built on a fanciful notion that if they turned up to my lesson then the knowledge in my head would magically transfer itself into theirs, while they focused on more important topics of discussion such as what to wear to the next school disco. 

 

One thing that never failed to inspire me, however, was the “lightbulb” moment; that instant when a student suddenly grasped something for the first time, or (in my later instrumental teaching career) finally mastered a tune they had been wrestling with for some time.

 

Lightbulb moments don’t just occur in the classroom. Many of us will be able to point to occasions in our faith journey where we understood something in a new or deeper way, or were challenged to change our perspective through prayer or a sermon.

 


As writers, we are well aware of the power of words to bring those “Aha!” moments. I still remember the sense of dawning realisation when I first read Lost Horizon as a teenager, and the shock I felt at the end of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Books such as The Underground Railroad and A Thousand Splendid Suns have deepened my understanding of issues around race and culture.

 

Not all writing will provide such moments, of course. I loved Gilead, but that had more to do with the quality of the writing rather than providing any dramatic insights.

 

However, if we want to challenge our readers or offer a different viewpoint it’s worth thinking about how we do this. Have we a central message we want to get across, or do we simply want to widen our audience’s perspective on a particular issue? What medium and/or genre would be the most helpful? Which authors have helped us see things in a new way? And as Christian writers – in whatever genre – how do we allow the light of Christ to permeate our words?


Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and writes regularly for Together magazine. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. Indeed, how do we allow the light of Christ to permeate our words? In fiction, only Christians will read specifically 'Christian fiction' I suspect, so here it's a case of encouragement, whereas if we write for the mainstream, it's a case of subtlety and probably 'less is more' (for example Deborah Jenkins' "Braver". In my own writing, I tend towards trying to enlarge the reader's knowledge of other cultures - including what it can be like to join a 'religious' family when you have been raised
    secular! Though I think I've been a little unfair to the religious side, now I re-read...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fiona...you've made me think. Not a bad thing for a Monday morning. I too can reminisce at the wonder of how student after student would fail to recognise the beauty of the Periodic Table, preferring to discuss events at the weekend or rest their weary heads on the desk. Who wouldn't want to know why the Mass Number of chlorine is fractional? And now, I'm trying my hand at historical fiction with a desire to do exactly as you said, let the light of Christ in somehow. I submitted my first draft to a literary critic who pointed out numerous faults, including 'it feels like now you're switch in the God bit'. Not her actual words. But she was right. The Russian writers seem to include the 'spiritual' seamlessly. We might argue over soul and spirit but it does seem that the 'Russian soul' is a more receptive audience that our ultra-secular society. In Britain is the reluctance to view the world 'spiritually' more a shyness to admit to its appeal within earshot of others, rather than the reality? We can stomach horoscopes or demon possession, or fictional interpretations of history (like Da Vinci Code), but faith in God through Christ is, apparently, too forbidding for wide circulation. Accurate religious history, e.g. the Huguenots, is the route I'm attempting and I'd welcome any ideas to push the narrative beyond simply its history to include personal faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tough one all right. I've had plenty of lightbulb moments over the years and I love it when I tutor GCSE students and they suddenly get it. Putting faith in our books is hard - but I suppose we need to trust God on it. Braver is a very good example of a novel published by a secular publisher which includes authentic descriptions of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting, Fiona. I think, for me, 'lightbulb' moments when I'm reading are those moments when I know I'll never think about a certain thing the same way again. Literature has that power to nudge us out of stereotypes and ruts (and maybe we can do this for others with our own writing). I remember reading 'Beloved' by Toni Morrison at university (as a mature student) and there's a scene in which a mother (in slavery) kills her child to stop it from being captured by the slave owners. I was shocked by the lengths to which she would go and then realised I shouldn't have been because the life of the slave was so torturous. I hadn't realised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating post and thanks for the mentions, Clare and Ruth! Fiona, I totally get what you say about teaching. That's why I love my current job, teaching groups of 4 Y6 pupils when they haven't quite 'got' something in class. No discipline problems and loads of lightbulb moments. With Braver, I wanted to help create a picture of church and faith that was more positive than the one we see in society generally today. But, as Clare said, without pushing faith in people's faces. This was why I was so pleased to find a secular publisher. My favourite review was where someone who does not have a faith said they would happily be part of a church like this. I know not all churches are welcoming and inclusive but surely they ought to be! Also, as believers, to some extent I think we all find different ways of weaving faith into our writing whether we are aware of it or not. But being intentional about it, does require a fair bit of thought, as you say. Thank you for making me think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that being older, I'm much more interested in finding things out, and I'm often amazed by how people with different talents have so much to offer to the world. I've recently begun playing the piano again. A light-bulb moment made me enthusiastic after years of neglecting the instrument. Thanks for a very interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely post, Fiona! I got a lightbulb moment when I was reading 'The Tamarisk Tree' by Rob. That getting of a new perspective on a deeper meaning or new level. Quite fascinating! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment