Changing Perspectives

 I came across a challenge I had not had anticipated in the writing of my current novel. My third novel, like my second, is a spin off from my first, The Healing. This time there is actually an overlap in the ending chapters between the third and first book. So suddenly as I got towards the end of the story I found myself rewriting scenes that I had already written and that have been previously published! Now I was having to write them again but from another characters perspective.

I found it to be a really interesting experience. I actually decided to copy and paste the scenes from the original book to use as a guideline, and then worked through the scenes line by line.  In some ways it was constraining as I felt I had to keep to the dialogue particularly. I really, really, REALLY wanted to rewrite some of it, and I gave into the urge in a couple of small instances! (No-one will notice, surely?) But mostly I kept to the dialogue and of course to the settings. What I had to change was what my character was thinking and feeling, and how she responded. And yes, what she could SEE. Her point of view.

So this moment in Book 1

‘Philip.’

His eyes shot open, but Philip remained frozen in position, his hands now tightly clasped together

Becomes this in Book 3

The wave of renewed grief had surprised her, and the lump in her throat surprised her still more. ‘Philip’ she whispered and a involuntary sob escaped .

I had never heard of POV (point of view) before I had my first manuscript professionally edited. In fact it was something that I discovered that I was remarkably inconsistent at. I had the habit of switching point of view mid scene, and confusing my readers. POV is when we have to consider whose voice is speaking in our writing, and what THEY can see, hear, smell, or experience. For example, if I am writing from the viewpoint of my heroine, and she sees something that embarrasses her, I should not say that ‘her face went red’. She cannot see her own face to see her blushes. I could say that ‘she felt her face getting warm’, or have someone else can mention that her face is flushed instead. 

 I wonder if you have ever had to re-write the same scene from different perspectives or viewpoints? How did you tackle it, and were you happy with it? Or, have you read books where the author has done it successfully? 

I have wondered since doing it whether I should have even attempted it. I am not fully satisfied with the results. No doubt my wonderful editor will have an opinion when she gets her hands on it. Those scenes might yet have to be rewritten a third time. To re-iterate, I have not copied huge chunks, word for word from one book to another (that would be cheating!)  There were just some scenes where I felt I had to keep a consistency for the story to make sense.

We are getting close to Easter and it is normal for us to read the story of Christ’s Passion from the Bible at this time of year. All four gospels contain a description of Jesus’s crucifixion, but there are marked differences in what they record. Why? Different viewpoints and perspectives. ( see Matthew 27, Mark 15, Luke 23, John 19)

 Matthew and John were both eye witnesses, and yet even what they record as hearing Jesus say from the cross is different. Matthew gives us the agonised cry, that is a quote from the Psalmist, ‘My God, My God, why have you forsaken me? John records the words of Jesus instructing him to care for Mary, His mother. And John is the only gospel to record what Jesus said with His last breath, the triumphant ‘It is finished’.

 In everything that matters most the gospels are consistent in the telling of His death, but in having four slightly differing accounts we get a fuller and much more meaningful picture of what happened in those few dark hours. I for one, am glad of this particular scene retold from differing perspectives. It makes the extraordinary story of His death for me even more wondrous.



Joy Margetts writes Christian Historical Fiction. Her debut novel 'The Healing' was published in March 2021, and her second ‘The Pilgrim’ in July 2022. She makes her home in beautiful North Wales and takes her inspiration from its rich spiritual history and stunning landscapes. She is also wife, mother and grandmother and a lover of the Word of God. Her personal blog and more information about her books can be found here www.joymargetts.com 

 

 

Comments

  1. I haven't rewritten a scene from a different perspective but I have certainly considered rewriting a whole novel from a different viewpoint. Your point about the Gospels is fascinating. I believe we have a special insight into them as writers ourselves - and, I feel that even more so as a nonfiction writer. (Sheila Robinson aka SC Skillman).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a whole novel! Now that would be a challenge! I love how the gospel writers selected what to write about and what to leave out. Holy Spirit inspired no doubt. Or what spoke to them personally perhaps?

      Delete
  2. Will look out for these passages in the new book.
    Returning to The Healing again before the new book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Joy! Enjoyed and reviewed'The Healing'. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating blog, Joy. Thank you. ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an interesting topic, Joy. Yes, I did exactly this with my novel 'Cuckoo in the Nest'. It starts with a scene in which a foster mum is showing a teenager around her new bedroom and I first wrote it in the foster mum's voice. But something seemed lacking, so I rewrote it from the teenager's perspective and BOOM there she was! I'd always recommend changing POV to anyone struggling with a story. It can make all the difference, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that my beta readers comment on those scenes were that my character seemed to have lost control of her story! Little bit more work needed to make sure her voice is heard. Changing POV makes a huge difference

      Delete

Post a Comment