You’ll Never Write Alone by Emily Owen

During the summer, I went to the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Exhibition. There were some stunning images. I was with two of my nephews, and most of the pictures took on lives of their own, as we created stories from them.

One picture was of a big cat walking on a fallen tree across a river, and we talked about whether it was trying to get from something or to something. Josiah (8) said, ‘We could write a story about this. You write a bit, then I’ll write a bit, etc’. So we are. In case you're wondering, the cat is trying to get away from something. I think. It was last time, anyway, but these things can change...

Josiah is very keen on books. For him, both writing and reading are things to be enjoyed together.

But what about times when, despite ACW and all the support it offers, we feel as though we are going it alone?

‘Writing is a lonely job.’ – Stephen King

Another photo at the exhibition was of a dolphin leaping out of the water. I said to the boys, “look at that, isn’t it amazing, it’s jumping so high.” Micah (6) earnestly responded; “Yes, but Aunty Memem, we mustn’t forget the audience.”

I looked again, and yes, there was an audience. I’d been so focussed on the dolphin, that I’d missed those who were alongside it.

As Christian writers, perhaps we sometimes forget that we are not alone on our journey. We have an Audience. God watches over us. We are together with him.

On Wednesday evening, I attended Ruth O'Reilly-Smith's book launch. It was such a privilege to be there, and what came over through it all from Ruth was; ‘God and I wrote this book together. God told me what to write.'

We mustn’t forget our Audience. God watches over every thought, every word typed, every word deleted…..not as a dispassionate observer, but as One who is ‘together’ with us.

Last weekend, I spent a long-awaited day with my sister. One of those days that has been in the diary for a long time and began to seem as though it would never arrive. But arrive it did. We had lunch at a lovely tea shop, then walked down to the coast. After a while, my sister asked if I’d like to walk on and take the long way to the car, or turn round and head straight back (my walking is not very good). I said it would be lovely to keep going. I had no idea what ‘the long way’ would entail; rough terrain, steep hills??

But what I did know was that my sister was walking with me and that, if I really couldn’t make it, she’d go back and get the car. That was enough.

I did make it, and so got to see more of the sea, but knowing I had a safety net made all the difference.

In the ups and downs of our writing journeys, knowing that we are together with God makes all the difference; no matter what happens, we are safe.

The tea shop had a picture on the wall, hanging just above the table where we sat:

(Text: There is Always Time For Tea)

There is also always time to remember that we never write alone….

For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

(Isiah 41:13)

Comments

  1. A beautifully worded reminder that we are never abandoned, and that we always have the support of God, closer than breathing and nearer than hands and feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. 'Nearer then hands and feet' - I really like that thought.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to ask - do you think Stephen King is right when he says a writer's life is a lonely one? Well, I'm debating whether it is a yes or a no! I love that you say that God sees every word wriiten, typed or deleted. Lovely tea picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question about Stephen King quote. I know I used it in the blog, but - like you - I am not sure if I agree with it or not. I think it can be a lonely one, but then again so can most lives, writer or not.
      It was an amazing tea shop! The clock was made of tea cups - always time for tea! I didn't want to put too many photos in the blog though.

      Delete
  4. A great reminder that God is always with us...and places great people alongside us too! Helpful to remember that we (and our writing) can walk with people as part of God's purpose for us and them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And thank you for that slant on it - yes, God places people to walk alongside, and for us to walk with.

      Delete
  5. Just lovely. So many reminders here to lean on God, and others, in our writing and living. Thank you Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautifully written. I love your nephews' wise comments! They are the ideal companions for a writer. I may have to hire them out from you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, he's very wise! And great blog fodder. Not sure what I'll do when they grow up, to be honest....

      Delete

Post a Comment