Writer behaving badly, by Deborah Jenkins

 I've been deleting emails. Not in a measured, organised way but desperately, as my inbox kept warning me with increasing ferocity that it would soon refuse mail. The latest BIG SHOUTY MESSAGE warned me, redly, that it had totally had enough and was over 90% full! Well, you know, that didn't seem that bad to me. I have emails dating back to 2016, which is 5 years. So, by my calculations, I still have around 6 months to go . Not that I would put that to the test. Obviously. I don't want to risk rejecting emails from my family/friends/publisher (I put this one last out of respect to my family and friends).

I don't want to buy more storage and, after some research, I now know how to type in things like 'before:2018/01/1' or delete those with large attachments etc. So I gritted my teeth, took a swig of  coffee (extra strong) and went for it.

In the process of calling up all those old emails, I opened a few. Just to check they weren't the sort that I might one day wish I'd kept. The results were somewhat cringy. Particularly ones to publishers and agents for Books I Eventually Gave Up On. Finding them, it reminded me how much I've learned, some of it the hard way. No idea if this will be helpful to anyone else, but just in case: -

5 ways to avoid being a badly behaved writer (things I have learned)

1. Don't submit late at night. You will be tired and miss things. Agents and publishers will not be impressed if your email: is addressed to someone else; sent with the wrong (longer) synopsis; says Dear Bellie instead of Dear Nellie

2. Don't write long query emails. Your recipients won't have time to read them and they're not interested in that writing award you received when you were 15. Not at this stage anyway. Pare back your submission emails to a bare minimum and send EXACTLY what they ask for

3. Try not be too precious about voluntary writing opportunities. Just because your boss/your friend/your local church hasn't emailed back, rhapsodising about your contribution, it doesn't mean they don't appreciate it. They're probably just too busy juggling their own lives to have time to bolster yours. Back off a bit

4. Be less defensive about criticism. Read it carefully and think hard about which parts might be justified. Do something about those and dump the rest

5. Take. Your. Time. It's not a race, it's a marathon. For most people, the best writing will mean editing and re-editing, researching and planning, drafting and redrafting, reading and rereading. Then if it all fails, starting over again. Don't send off or publish anything, for anyone, that is less than the absolute best it can be

I only say these things because I have done them all, as some of the emails painfully reminded me.

So, I deleted 2 years worth of emails, and some with large attachments, but I still have 81% left. So Gmail, EXPLAIN THAT ONE TO ME!

I feel some bad behaviour coming on...



Deborah Jenkins is the author of textbooks, educational articles and a novella ,The Evenness of Things, available in paperback and as a kindle e-book.

Her novel, Braver, will be published in the summer of 2022 by Fairlight Books.

Deborah wonders aloud about the crazy, inspiring and inappropriate, on her blog, stillwonderinghere.net




Comments

  1. There is a strangely enjoyable vibe to deleting huge chunks of old emails. I do it from time to time when I get the shouty red messages. My favourite being the passive aggressive "Do you really want to save this?" Yes, Gmail, I do, thank you very much! Great post with some corking advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that. I find it terrifying. What if there's a vital contact/bit of info I might need one day in 2035? You just never know... Thanks Buddy x

      Delete
  2. I've been deleting hundreds of unread emails recently too! I got on top of it when I found out that storing emails is environmentally unfriendly! What isn't??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I had no idea. Maybe that will inspire me more than anything to delete as I go!

      Delete
  3. Lots of good advice here. It can be comforting to hang on to those old messages, but sometimes they just have to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a kind of safety mechanism for me. I did once delete a whole load and then realised I needed the email ad of an old employer that it wouldn't be easy to get another way. One out of several thousand emails though. I need to get some perspective! Thank you Veronica.

      Delete
  4. I totally get this! I was looking through old 'submitting to agents/publishers' emails too and thinking, 'ARRGH! What were you DOING?' I'm not even sure I've improved that much either although I no longer say, 'Take me on, or your name is mud on Twitter.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I no longer beg! Someone ought to write a code of conduct for writers. I mean, I think that is one. It's just unspoken. Thanks, Buddy.

      Delete
  5. Oh Deborah, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! My emails also go back to 2016 and some even before that. It is a laborious job sifting through them and deleting isn't it but in the end, enormously satisfying. Computer housework.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of it being computer housework! Sheila, you are definitely not the only one. Sad to say, I find nothing satisfying about it though. Its terrifying! What if I really need something one day that I've deleted? I hate housework too, but at least I do find a clean house satisfying. Ah well. Thanks for commenting 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you, Deborah. Some good tips and reminders there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment