FINDING OUT WHO WE ARE

 I recently attended a talk by American life coach and minister Dr. Johnny Parker who sent me to Viacharacter.org, a website that assesses your character strengths for free. These are my results.



Viacharacter says that knowing and using your character strengths can help you in life. Dr. Johnny is all for this self-knowledge. He cites the example of biblical David who turned down King Saul’s offer of his own armour to face Goliath, because "he was more of a slingshot kind of a guy."

If we would like the self-knowledge of David, we can start by asking ourselves these questions through journaling, in prayer or perhaps on a long walk:

What is my story?

Who am I?

What do I want?

Why do I want it?

Dr. Johnny’s steps to take us to a place of self-knowledge form the word RISE. You can download them here. 

R is for Robust—knowing our personal strengths from answering the questions above, we can ask ourselves how best we can be intentional about using them. 

This brings to mind the parable of the talents. Two of the three recipients of monetary talents were fruitful with what they were given, because they understood how to put their assets to good use.  

Surely finding and using our God-given talents is  the most satisfying thing we can do with our life?

The I in RISE stands for Impact. Dr. Johnny here invites us to ask ourselves heart-centric questions, because we are prone to negative thinking—of the kind, “Who am I to do that?” However, all things are possible through Christ, “who strengthens me,” (Phil.4:13). We look to discern, “What is my unique opportunity?” “What makes this possible?”

S is for Seek and it involves going deeper into our quest for self-knowledge: “Who do I want to become and what is the story I want my life to tell?” We need to remember how the Bible always invites us to be kind to ourselves. Our souls need rest. Jesus invites us to rest in him: “I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light,” (Matt.11:29-30).

We need to work out the things we should stop doing as well as start doing, and those things that we need to continue doing.

The E of RISE stands for Effect. Dr. Johnny suggests writing a letter or a journal entry from the position of having already achieved what we would like to happen. We should ask ourselves how this result came about. What did I do? What made me fruitful? How did this dream come true?

He reminds us that God is, “able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.” (Eph.3:20).

Returning to my self-assessment with Viacharacter.org, I was happy to see that spirituality came out as my Number 1 strength. I was less happy that creativity only came 20th, and was categorized as a ‘lesser strength’.  

Huh! I mean, what kind of a result is that for a writer? I felt like protesting. Then I realised I had only myself to blame. The results came from my own answers…

 


I hope you can come to this event on Thursday. Click here to sign up.

If you can't make it, Email me to receive notifications of future events. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/called-to-write-masterclass-tickets-182081981107.


Comments

  1. Thank you Bobbie. This is an interesting example of a method to acquire self knowledge. Of course these questionnaires always require us to be strictly honest in our replies! I have done the Myers Briggs and the Enneagram and also the Gifting course at our church a few times. Also I've been on retreats where we have mapped our life journey. These are all helpful and sometimes powerful tools in gaining self-knoedge. Also I may add to this list: writing a novel, and then having several objective readers give their feedback!
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bobbie, I hadn't realised the event was 7-8.30pm, I thought it was 2pm until I read this. But in fact, this is a better time for me and I look forward to joining you on this coming Thursday 7 October at 7pm. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila - so glad you can make it. Sorry if there was confusion. It's always difficult to know what time to set things to - it's 2 pm Eastern time, 3 pm where I am in Atlantic Canada and 7 pm in the UK.

      Delete
  3. I will be doing this at once! I wonder what my result will be

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment