A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING by Joy Margetts

 


Let me begin by saying what an absolute privilege it is to be able to write this, my first blog for More Than Writers. I only joined ACW at the beginning of the year, but to be honest it already feels like I’ve been here years! I have loved reading the MTW blog from the moment I started receiving the links – thank you for the encouragement, creativity and laughs.

When I found the ACW it was as if I had found the ‘long lost family’, that I didn’t even know I had. I have always loved writing, and have written in many forms over the years. It was only when I unexpectedly became a published Christian fiction writer that I discovered the ACW. I didn’t know any other Christian writers, and it was heaven sent provision to find people who understood the language peculiar to writers. Who understood the frustrations of getting words onto the page, the ins and outs of editing, publishing and marketing.

From my first nervous attendance at WORDY CHAT, friendships have formed which have kept me motivated, encouraged and challenged. I am thankful too because whenever I have ‘bitten the bullet’ and reached out to people via the ACW Facebook page, never once have I been fobbed off. Every response has come with kindness, and a genuine desire to help me out. I have also made some lifelong friends, friends who I can share with, pray with and laugh with. Thanks to the ACW.

So I wanted this first blog to be really superb, to blow you away with my wittiness, use of language, or profundity. So much so that I have put off writing it so many times that it is now getting a little too near publication date for my comfort (I am not a ‘pantster’ by nature…) I have decided rather to be me! I think it will be ok.

God speaks to me in so many different ways, so I’ll share just one little thought.

I recently did my first real life in person book signing. It was a great experience, and you can read my light hearted account of it here…https://authorselectric.blogspot.com/2021/10/book-signings-dos-and-donts-by-joy.html

I was wondering why people like a signed book? I understand why you might want a first edition signed by a famous author – to maybe make millions from it in the future. But why do people want me, an unknown, to sign my debut book? I think it is because it makes it personal. By signing a book and putting a short message in it, I am making a connection, giving a bit of myself to the reader, and that is precious.

Then I thought about my favourite book, the one written by the breath of God Himself. How lovely would it be to be able to get Him to sign it, with a personal handwritten message just for me? I wonder what He would say, how He would sign His name? So I thought about it a bit more. Then I realised that His signature is already on every page, and His message to me is personal and precious…It says?... ‘I LOVE YOU’



Joy Margetts has loved writing for as long as she can remember. A retired nurse, mother of two, and a new grandparent, she also has a lifelong interest in history, and loves the Word of God. She makes her home on the beautiful North Wales coast.

Her debut novel 'The Healing', a work of historic fiction, was published by Instant Apostle on 19 March 2021. Joy has also self published a short novella, 'The Beloved' as both a companion to 'The Healing', and as an easy to read standalone story, which is available on Amazon Kindle.

More information on Joy and her writing, and her personal blog, can be found here www.joymargetts.com

Comments

  1. What a lovely debut post, Joy! There are jokes about signed copies of the Bible, but you hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of owning a signed copy kind of says 'I have met the author!" to anyone the book's owner might lend the book. Your idea about the Bible is lovely. (Has anyone experience of lending, or being lent, a Bible?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great line if you were to lend someone a Bible... 'I have met the author'!

      Delete
  3. I love coming across signed copies of books in charity shops - that always feels like twice the bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you really only join ACW at the beginning of this year? Surely not! This is a fab piece, so very you and so readable. Love it. Welcome to the blog! Now off to read your AE one. From which I will learn as I've never done a real live book signing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it might have been December! That first WORDY CHAT was on New years day! What an extraordinary year it has been! Thank you xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your debut blog post Joy! I'm glad Fran likes coming across signed books in secondhand bookshops etc because that makes me feel better about the idea of people donating my signed books to charity! I understand readers do love signed books and my 2 local independent bookshops make a big thing of it and have special labels for signed books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I guess signed copies do get passed on but hopefully not too often

      Delete
  6. Welcome!! My first time was last month! I too cannot believe that you only joined this year and it's like it was ages ago!! Lovely post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so kind! I feel like I've been in the ACW family forever!

      Delete

Post a Comment