In which Jane gives herself a talking to, by Jane Walters

I learned something new in a sermon the other week. Actually, it wasn’t so much a new thing as something-I-should-probably-have-realised-a-long-time-ago. In fact, I shan’t even mention it here because ALL of you will have known it already. The fresh revelation has the power to change my life significantly if I let it but, until that happens, I thought I would write about some of my reactions.


Those of you who read my blog monthly will know that my writing has been going through a Doldrums experience of late. It’s not that I’m not writing but that there isn’t enough wind in my sails right now. In and of itself, that should be fine – I mean, us writers aren’t machines! – but it’s the questions that spring from such seasons that cause the problems. One that I struggle to bat away with any sense of conviction is, ‘Why should I be writing when there are so many books out there already?’ Closely followed by, ‘What can I possibly add to the pile? (Subtext, ‘when I’m only me.’)

So, I’m writing this blog in order to give myself a talking-to, and anyone to whom this applies is welcome to eavesdrop…

Yes, there are a great many books out there. (I seem to have most of them in my house…) But cultural wisdom changes. Fresh wine is needed. Fresh yeast. Pick your analogy and run with it, so long as you remember the “fresh” bit.

Yes, you may question your ability to reach the entire world with your message. That’s realistic. But never under-estimate the impact that the right word can bring to a situation – even when you’ve never heard of the speaker/writer. Remember that light-bulb moment in the sermon? Probably only 60 people heard that. Maybe you were the only one who caught it. Are you saying it wasn’t worth the speaker bothering?

‘I’m only me.’ Hmm, that’s a harder nut to crack, isn’t it? But what are you saying there? Are you questioning the impact and influence that one person can make? Are you telling Mother Teresa she shouldn't have tried?

Listen. We all have our moments of blinding clarity and of profound silliness. Doubts have to be acknowledged otherwise we never quite press through them into deeper belief. Even when the winds of inspiration have dropped, you’re still afloat, still bobbing along upheld by God’s everlasting arms. So, keep thinking, keep jotting those thoughts down, keep being alert to the voice of God.

*and breathe.

*and keep going.


Jane Walters is vice-chair of ACW and runs two local groups in Norfolk. She leads writing retreats further afield - it's not too late to book in for October or November. Go to www.janewyattwalters.com for more info.

 

Comments

  1. A friend and I were talking about John 15 yesterday and she mentioned how during the winter season, all of the energy is going to strengthening the root... Might be helpful for us in reshaping what feels like a fallow time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, 60 people hearing a sermon. Hope the same point applies when the congregation just squeaks into double figures! I think I recall an anecdote about a preacher his entire life only really impacting on one person - but that person was David Livingstone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'What can I add to the pile?' is a ubiquitous and understandable thought, and I often think it myself, but if every writer had obeyed that instinct, our bookshelves would be empty, we'd have nothing to read, and we'd have to DUST those empty shelves. Think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of doubts needing acknowledgement so that we can break through to deeper belief. I needed to hear that this morning, thanks Jane! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this. Just the encouragement needed. I love the idea of bringing something 'fresh'. I'd go with fresh bread, having just baked some... it always tastes better, even if it is the very same ingredients as old bread. That my words might not actually contain anything new, but might be able to bring it in a fresh way to someone is a lovely way of thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Joy. Your encouragement means a lot x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reminder that we are unique! We have a unique perspective. Thank you for this timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for drawing that out of it, Kathleen. There's power in that uniqueness, if we dare to embrace it.

      Delete
  8. I can so identify with this, Jane. Every time I get a slight wif of inspiration, I have the 90 books up in one of our bedrooms to remind me that the fresh wine there went rancid and then I think why write another to have another 90/100 books in a different bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard, yes. Don't be discouraged, Sheila. I pray fresh wine for you x

      Delete
  9. Never a truer word. You must keep writing Jane! As must we all, however paltry our attempts at portraying truths sometimes seem. I read this wonderful prayer in my Pete Greig notes this morning: 'God I pray for teachers, preachers, filmmakers, writers. Would You school them in the art of storytelling? May they, as St. Augustine said, ‘place salt on people’s lips’ and stir up holy hunger for the mysteries of Your kingdom.' Amen, and for us all, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallelujah! What a prayer. Thanks, Deborah x

      Delete
  10. A really encouraging message. Thank you, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essentially our need and our compulsion to write will carry us through. If readers weren't always looking for something new literary agents would be a dying race..What a thought!

      Delete
    2. 'Compulsion to write' - yes, it is, most certainly! Thanks for commenting, Sheila.

      Delete
  11. Keep writing! The profound silliness is a welcome visitor to any writer's desk. I sometimes make the mistake of reading a Great Work of Literature and berating myself for being too shallow and light hearted. But I suppose we all have our place in the canon. And as Fran says, if there weren't books on the shelves we'd have to dust them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. Shallow and light-hearted still has heart in it :)

      Delete
  12. How encouraging! Thank you Jane. As long as God is upholding us all, we can definitely achieve our dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Sophia. Thank God He is in all and through all.

      Delete

Post a Comment