White Horse



Image by Dorota Kudyba from Pixabay

I’ve been too tired and burned out to write anything much this past year. It's not surprising. How can the global trauma we’ve all been through NOT have affected our souls and spirits, and our desire and capacity to create?

Not only have I struggled to write anything, I’ve found it hard to READ anything. I thought I would get through tons of books during lockdown. In truth, I’ve only managed to read one book all the way through, and that was a children’s classic, The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge, which won the Carnegie Medal in 1946.

For those of you who’ve not read it, this is a gorgeous Gothic romance: the enchanting tale of Maria Merryweather, a feisty young Victorian orphan who together with her doting governess Miss Heliotrope and spaniel Wiggins, come under the guardianship of Maria’s cousin, Sir Benjamin Merryweather, the lord of Moonacre Manor. Maria soon learns that the mystical estate of Moonacre hides dark secrets and seems to be under a curse: the secret to unlocking those secrets and breaking the curse is Maria herself, the new incarnation of the fabled Moon Princess.

Goudge weaves timeless tropes and colourful characters into her story, not least the quasi-magical animals who seem to have interior lives of their own: Wrolf the dog who might be a lion, Periwinkle the pony, Serena the hare. The mysterious little white horse Maria glimpses in the moonlight lies at the heart of the mystery.

This was classic comfort reading – some elements of the writing are old-fashioned, but the lyricism of Goudge’s prose and the magical rhythm of the story carried me along.

Goudge’s deep-rooted Christian faith is a subtle presence in the story, expressed in the preaching of the ancient parson of Silverydew, the angelic singing of the villagers, the chiming of the ancient church bells, the devotion of the village children to the statues of the Lady and the Child, and the reclaiming of Paradise Hill from the spiritual darkness that has plagued Moonacre for so long. These spiritual elements are handled with a light touch: like those other famous Christian fantasy writers, JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis, Elizabeth Goudge understood the healing power of fairytales and how fictional magic can portray deliverance and redemption. It’s no surprise that The Little White Horse was a big childhood favourite of JK Rowling’s, who herself employs some biblical motifs in the final instalment of the Harry Potter saga.

Fantasy and magical realism are very much my thing (not the only things I’m into, but very definitely a thing). They may not be your thing. Which of course is fine.

So what do you, as a writer, enjoy reading? I take it that we all read the kind of books in the same genre as we aspire to write in. But I’m also guessing that we read other genres as well, because it’s good to read widely … that, too, stretches us as writers and opens up other, different, worlds, whether fiction or non-fiction.

We should all write the kind of books we ourselves want to read.

So, in these turbulent times, follow the mysterious white horse of your imagination to realms that have yet to be discovered … by both you and your readers.



I am an administrator for the education and learning office of the United Reformed Church and a lay preacher in the Church of England. I wrote a devotional for the anthology ‘Light for the Writer’s Soul’, published by Media Associates International, and my short story ‘Magnificat’ appears in the ACW Christmas Anthology ‘Merry Christmas Everyone’.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this post, Philippa. The Little White Horse is one of my favourite books. Towers in the Mist (also by Elizabeth Goudge) is one of the books I reread during lockdown. Her books for adults are worth reading too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Island Magic is a Goudge favourite of mine. It's quite dark in places, and I loved the characters.

      Delete
  2. I too lived in a state of suspended animation, creatively speaking, for more or less all the lockdowns and associated turbulence, despite having, inevitably, more time on my hands. It seems to have affected people very differently. Having completed a project since, I am now reading like a woman possessed, my latest discovery being Francis Spufford whose 'Golden Hill' I enjoyed hugely. He is a Christian, and while there is little that is overt it shone through somehow. Thanks for this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Spufford's 'Unapologetic'. I've yet to read any of his fiction.

      Glad to hear you've got some of your creative energy back!

      Delete
    2. I am reading 'Unapologetic' at the moment. The other fiction of his I read recently was 'Perpetual light,' also enjoyable.

      Delete
  3. I agree that lockdown has been a bit dispiriting. I've managed to keep reading though. I loved Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens and I discovered the wonderful 'My Cousin Rachel' by Daphne du Maurier. I'm sad there isn't time to read every book I want to read, and more and more appealing books keep on being published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'My Cousin Rachel' is one of Daphne du Maurier's best novels, and possibly my favourite!

      I've fallen out of love with the contemporary novel scene though... so few books seem to hold my attention these days. :(

      Delete
  4. 'We should all write the kind of books we ourselves want to read.' So, so true! My favourite kind of fiction is about people finding a sense of belonging and community in surprising situations. Inevitably, that is the main premise of my novel (published next year). I'm really enjoying Ann Patchett's Bel Canto atm which is about a group of ex-pats who find strength in community in a very unusual situation. I love the sound of The Little White House and confess to having never read Elizabeth Goudge. Thank you for this inspiring post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read most Goudge but never this one! Reading is the way I keep myself sane (a long-held habit) but since I started writing fiction, I've had less time for it. I love Francis Spufford too - such great name checks in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three cheers from another big Goudge fan. Confession: I once stole a Goudge book from a pub - it was The Herb of Grace, which I wanted to re-read, and it was in one of those job lots bought to decorate shelves in a pub. I knew no one would miss it, and to ask the barmaid would be too complicated, so I just slipped it in my bag. When I got home and opened it, I found the author's dedication in the front and it was 'For Veronica'!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment