Never Stop Learning by Georgie Tennant

We never stop learning, do we? And when we step out of our comfort zones and venture into new territory as writers, it can be a steep learning curve. Here are some of the things I have learned in the last six months of my writing life:

1. Despite apparently ridiculous delays and waits that test the patience of the saintliest, God always comes though somehow, in His time and His way.

After a frustratingly long wait to see the phonics books I had written, finally printed and in my hand, they arrived in a week where Ofsted was looming at work and life was feeling rather gloomy. They cheered me up beyond reason. “God has made everything beautiful for its own time,” (Ecclesiastes 3:11 NLT).


2. Even if you think you haven’t done much in your writing life, you have probably done a lot more than you give yourself credit for.

When I recently agreed to be the guest speaker at a Zoom writing group and was given an hour, I panicked, thinking I had about ten minutes of material at most. If you don’t keep a “Writing CV” or record of things you have done, start to do so – I guarantee you will find it a big encouragement. As I talked through where my writing life began and how it is developing, it made me feel much more like a “real” writer than I had for a while.

3. Linked to Number 2, above, it is wise to keep everything you ever wrote in a box file - or ten, if you have been prolific.

I don’t do this, and, in scrabbling around in the bottoms of various wardrobes and drawers, looking for things that might help me guest-speak without having to start from scratch with my musings, I heartily wished I had.

4. You can get a mini keyboard that can transform an iPad into a laptop, for writing on the move and when luggage space is tight.

I discovered, to my cost, however, that it is not advisable to type on the aforementioned iPad-turned-laptop in a tiered swimming pool viewing area during a swimming gala. It is not the easiest of things to balance on one’s knee and I’m mortified to say the lady in front of me found herself with an iPad on her head more than once before I retreated, red-faced to a safe distance behind the stands. On balance (no pun intended), it is a useful addition to the busy writer’s life.


5. You don’t have to leap naively into the first contract anyone sends you.

I did. Luckily it has worked out for me. But I have since discovered (aren’t writer friendships a great thing?) that there is something called the Society of Authors, which will help the new and naïve through such things and they even include membership of something called ALCs for the price (this is further alchemy and magic that I understand not, but will be looking into for future projects) - worth looking up if you are similarly inexperienced as I am.

6. Great opportunities really can and do land in your inbox on a dismal, ordinary Monday morning.

In my case, it was the invitation to write more in the phonics series I had written before. Deeming it a little too keen to reply within 17 seconds, I succeeded in waiting 9 minutes, and, by lunchtime, had a project outline, a series of deadlines and the first set of ideas for my stories. This has encouraged me that, even when there appears to be nothing on the horizon, the opposite may, in fact, be true.

7. There is a time and a season for everything and sometimes, this one just isn’t mine and that’s OK.

I would have loved, for example, to have come to the London Writers’ Day – I’m sure I’m not the only one. But time and financial constraints meant that this one wasn’t to be, for me. But I have to trust God that He will put me in the path of the right ones for me at the right time and in the meantime, I will pray a blessing on those who did manage to make it. That way, FOMO * is turned to JOMO 
** as I trust God for the right opportunities for me.


When we are feeling weary and discouraged in our writing lives, its good to reflect on the bigger picture of where we have come from and pray into what God has in store for us, still yet. I love Hebrews 3:4 – “For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.” May he build our writing lives into ones that bring him glory, however hard it can be to see, at times, where the next brick will go.

Do join in the discussion in the comments with anything you have learnt recently about the writing life.

* Fear Of Missing Out
** Joy Of Missing Out



Georgie Tennant is a secondary school English teacher in a Norfolk Comprehensive.  She is married, with two sons, aged 13 and 10 who keep her exceptionally busy. She writes for the ACW ‘Christian Writer’ magazine occasionally, and is a contributor to the ACW-Published ‘New Life: Reflections for Lent,’ and ‘Merry Christmas, Everyone.'  More recently, she has written 5 books in a phonics series, published by BookLife and is in the process of writing 3 more. She writes the ‘Thought for the Week’ for the local newspaper from time to time and also muses about life and loss on her blog: www.somepoemsbygeorgie.blogspot.co.uk




Comments

  1. This is a super post, Georgina! Congratulations on your phonics books.
    I'd have liked to be at the writers' day too, but I did some writing that day - a poem and emails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! Hope to see you at the next one!

      Delete
  2. Love this post, Georgie. By the way, join ALCS immediately or you will miss out on earnings from anyone who photocopies your work anywhere. Also, make sure you register with the British library for PLR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy…I presume, though, if the publisher owns the copyright, the money would be theirs? (Sorry if that’s a daft question!)

      Delete
  3. Great post, and all very wise advice. I laughed at your sentence about trying to wait a respectable amount of time before replying to an email. Those 'pretend you haven't seen' moments are really awkward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran! Ha ha you sound like you have experience of this!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Georgie - and you've reminded me that I really must look into ALCS! I must admit I did have FOMO at the writers day - so I'm changing it to JOMO retrospectively 😜 thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, you really must. It's not complicated - there are plenty of us who've done it who can help you if you need a hand but the website is clear - and although initially it means plugging in all your articles/books etc (from the last 3 years) once it's done it's easy to maintain and money will arrive!

      Delete
    2. Awww it’s hard isn’t it? Hope to see you at another writers’ day, one day!

      Delete
  5. A fabulous post, Georgie full of wise advice. And I SO relate to Number 3! There are various drawers/piles/cupboards where I can find old writing. Really must take your advice. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah - will try to take my own advice too! 😀

      Delete
  6. Definitely always learning, Georgie. My publisher didn't work out for me and I am currently in the process of reversing my contract. I will be doubly careful if there is a next time. Lesson learnt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Sheila! I hope your book finds its true home ❤️

      Delete
  7. Love this post. I have found quite often that when one door closes another one opens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a storming post, Georgie! I knew none of this before I lowered myself into the turbulent waters of publishing. Fran and Wendy provided lifebelts to keep me afloat and many ACW members told me stuff I didn't know, including nearly all of your useful points here. Loving JOMO! I often suffer from FOMO and must try to be more positive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also chortling about you dropping things on the lady in front of you at the swimming gala. I could write a blog about all the awkward events I've been involved in over the years. Blushing just thinking about some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! Ha ha I’d like to read that! 🤣

      Delete
  10. Wow! Great post and thanks for the reminder about a Writing CV!! Need to update mine[if I can find it in my over chocked Word Doc].This so encouraged me and I give thanks to God for where I am at; where I am coming from and where I am going to in my writing with God's divine help. Thank you so much for this post, Georgie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment