TODAY I AM A PROPER WRITER (3rd and final part)

 Please excuse the indulgence but here I am again with my attempt at Being a Proper Writer. Partly it’s your fault because I had so many responses to my previous posts (https://morethanwriters.blogspot.com/2021/03/today-i-am-proper-writer-part-1.html and https://morethanwriters.blogspot.com/2021/04/today-i-am-proper-writer-part-2-in.html if you haven’t read them). Reflecting on the whole experience has led me to some tentative conclusions that I hope are worth sharing.

How did I get on in writing terms?

On the day, I completed much of my first blog post. Which turned into two. And now three. Blogging is where I feel comfortable, although with book ideas flowing I feel less engaged - like a sail that the wind is starting to blow in a different direction.

I received several compliments for the jacket. I think there is something to be said for clothes putting you in a specific mindset, like a work uniform. So I might try this again.

We did go for that walk around the cemetery. Sorry, Wendy, I didn’t find any character names from gravestones nor poetry inspiration. But we did have an interesting conversation about what might happen after death and a recurring discussion on how a loving God can allow babies to die. (I wish I had better answers to that one).

Book writing is so much harder than I expected. My hat doffs low to those of you who do this regularly.

I didn’t anticipate so little actual writing. But I was encouraged by your reassuring comments that this is not unusual and may even be a helpful part of the process.

I talked all this over with Offspring No. 2, a songwriter, particularly my audience quandary. Research what’s already out there on your topic was the excellent advice. That led to some fascinating discoveries, including ‘Second Coming’ comic, where Jesus comes back to earth, roommates with ‘Sun-Man’, discovers how the gospel has been subverted, and tries to put things right.

I’m still not entirely clear on my audience but the mists are thinning. Not as much as I had expected has been published, most of it aimed at young children. So I think there is a gap about the adult yearning for heroes. I can hear the opening sentences in my head now.

I acknowledge that writing a book needs a more collaborative approach. I’ve missed my local ACW group over the pandemic; it will be good to share again.

Writing a book seems a more evolving than linear process. I need to be expectantly patient.

Also, I have more thinking to do. How realistic are my dreams of writing a book with my current commitments and energy levels? I need to make changes to my routine or accept that these dreams need to be postponed.

However, a couple of months down the line, I’ve started a notebook specifically for this project, jotting down intermittent flashes of inspiration as Eric Morecombe famously put it: “all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order”.

I’m further forward than I was. Who knows how long it will take or whether this book will reach publication?

Ok, yes, One Person knows!

But I’m on the path now. I have a Work In Progress. I am Becoming a Proper Writer. And much of that is thanks to you lovely encouraging people.


Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adults. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at
https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/, has one WIP and more ideas in the pipeline. 


Comments

  1. This all sounds great - keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That journey is so wonderful, terrifying at times, but with God on your side (which He is) you cannot go wrong. How exciting to read about a fellow writer's experience - I feel very excited for you, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz, you are certainly starting at the right point of researching what is out there and where there is an audience. I got that wrong! There are people who read my books and enjoy them and make positive comments .....but there are not very many of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so ahead of me Tish. And your books are wonderful - they definitely deserve a wider audience.

      Delete
  4. Whilst I am disappointed re the lack of names for characters from the gravestones, I am extremely impressed by the topics you did discuss. You re a proper writer and I love the sound of the ideas you are putting out there. Well done for your honesty. It's been great following this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Joining ACW is one of the best things I've done in terms of improving and being more courageous with my writing. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. I love this writing diary, which so many of us can relate to. You sound very thorough to me, Liz, in terms of preparing to write a book. Far more so than I. All power to your writing arm! (and brain) Looking forward to seeing the results...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any preparation is from learning from all of you in ACW, Deborah. Thank you

      Delete

Post a Comment