Reflecting lament in our writing by Claire Musters



My thoughts have turned once again to lament as today marks the third anniversary of the death of a dear friend from church, who left behind a young family. It was as we journeyed with her, and my mum, through deteriorating health, that lament became a really important part of my life. I realised then that so few in the church background I come from really know how to do it, nor is there much space given over to it in our services either.

I have found that not only my personal life, but my own writing and speaking projects, have reflected this new focus. I have written a devotional on disappointment on loss (half of which was written beside my mum as she took her final journey to be with Jesus) and run a retreat with the aim of helping people walk gently with Jesus through their own painful losses.

 

But this season has been one in which we have all felt the pain of loss keenly, and so, as I came to write this blog, it made me think to myself: I wonder how many of you have found that you are injecting lament into your work in a way that you hadn’t before. As art so often imitates life, is this something we should all be doing in some way?

 

I know there are some among us who write beautifully about the pain and losses we feel in life (Keren, Liz, Tanya and Georgina immediately spring to mind, and their penned thoughts have helped me greatly). But I wonder whether those among us who write fiction or other forms of non-fiction have considered how to reflect our world’s need for lament in this time? Perhaps showing a character experiencing loss and wrestling with grief? Or poets describing the loneliness and isolation the lack of human touch has caused so many?

 

This may well be something that you have all considered over the past year but, if not, I wanted to encourage you to do so. I am convinced that lament is a vital spiritual practice, and yet it is not always widely practised both within and outside of the church. As writers, we have a unique opportunity to help guide those who may not otherwise engage with a simple yet life-changing practice, which will help us process these past 14 months well.


Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, various Cover to Cover and Insight Guide titles. She has also written a devotional on disappointment and loss (available as an eBook or physical book). Grace-Filled Marriage by Claire and Steve Musters was published by Authentic Media on 7 May. Find out more at www.clairemusters.com and https://thebigchurchread.co.uk/grace-filled-marriage/ where you can sign up to receive emails about the reading plan and videos for the Big Church Read, which began on 17 May (but can be utilised anytime). 


Comments

  1. Great post, Claire, thank you. I am not really injecting lament into my books although I agree it may be something that's needed. However, as I write either gritty crime or humorous crime, I'm not sure how appropriate it would be. Thanks for reading it though; it's an important topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Christians often seem unable/unwilling to broach the subject of loss (of any kind, including of employment, and including failure to get a job, have a book accepted, etc), as well as loss of friends and family. Adrian Plass has an insightful (though somehow also amusing, being Adrian) poem about how the bereaved may witness a friend crossing the road so as not to have to talk, and the banal things people can say "he is only in another room' being one.

    Possibly, the subject of loss particularly would relate to those churches which concentrate on up-beat worship, and seeing the positive, and praising God under all circumstances. In the C of E (and Roman Catholic) churches, remembering those who are no longer 'with us here' seems quite well covered, especially as Masses can be said in their remembrance in the Catholic church. Though other losses such as employment, etc are often ignored, or suppressed by the person involved, so as not to 'moan'. Yes, it is important that we acknowledge that Christianity doesn't mean success at and in every circumstance, along with accepting depression, other mental health problems, and long-lasting grief as normal, not a loss of faith (as particularly in churches which underline only the positive about following Christ. 'In the world you will have tribulation... I have overcome the world' can be misinterpreted...) I have (some years ago) suffered long-term grief at losing a supportive friend, who has left a hole in my life, not an unusual occurrence, yet 'but that's 20 years ago' doesn't remove the memories - from anyone - we should always acknowledge that we ourselves, and everyone else, is human, and carries the events of their life alongside their faith.
    Useful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Claire, and thank you for your kindness. I agree completely, we need to find more place for lament and honesty in church and in life in general. I think writing of lament in poetry form can speak greatly to people when they can't seem to find words, but also like you say alluding to it within a novel can be very powerful. Bless you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post, Claire. Liz Carter's 'Treasure in Dark Places' did address this subject well, but you're right, I haven't heard a great deal about this in church. Patrick Regan of Kintsugi Hope, also gave a great online talk about this in 2020's Spring Harvest online. I have also contributed to a book coming out soon to support the NHS with a poem about the issues surrounding meeting up with my adult sons and partners. However, my university is bringing out an anthology soon with the express advice that no one should write anything about the pandemic, although it is on all of our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read your thoughts on lament before and found them interesting and thought-provoking. As you say, it's not something which gets mentioned much, but it should be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment