Fighting Imposter Syndrome

Image by Prashant Sharma from Pixabay



I’m a lay preacher. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received about preaching is that “you can’t preach it if you don’t live it.”

This doesn’t mean that someone who preaches never sins or makes mistakes – of course not. It does mean that as a preacher, you must be completely genuine and transparent before God, and before other people. You must be authentic. If you don’t actually know or experience anything of the love of God, if your life is not rooted in the truth of his Word, if you are not actually trying to live that truth out, how can you share those treasures with other people? How would you dare?

Even so, when I first began preaching, I felt like something of a fraud. Who on earth did I think I was, to be proclaiming God’s word to others, to be telling other Christians what to do and how to live? Was I better and more holy than them? Of course not!

Preaching is a spiritual gift. It didn’t come naturally to me, it was definitely a gift I was given by the Spirit of God. All the grace comes from God. We simply have to be willing to receive that grace and that gift, and humbly acknowledge that everything we are, everything we have, comes from him.

What has this got do with writing? I suspect that quite a lot of writers can suffer from ‘imposter syndrome’. ACW has many writers who have been successful in getting their work into print, whether through a Christian or commercial publisher, or through self-publishing. Hallelujah! Yet even a successful author can suffer from feeling like a fraud, wondering if their next work will be as good, as successful, as well received, as their first. In Christian culture, there can be a tendency to worry whether we’re as ‘spiritual’ and ‘godly’ as other writers. This, of course, is baloney – we are all pilgrims on the same road, we are all beggars who find the same bread – but the enemy of our souls is very good at helping us tie ourselves up in unnecessary knots about it.

As for the countless other writers, like me, who are very far from being ‘established’, but keep on doing what we do … I guess we can suffer from ‘imposter syndrome’ too. I think all of us can, however ‘successful’ (or not) we may be.

The thing is … God gave us all the gift of writing. It doesn’t matter how big an audience we gain (well, OK, not much …) Very few become rich and famous through their writing (alas ...)

So to all of you I say: you are brilliant, you are gifted, and you are NOT an imposter or a fraud. God created us so that we could, in turn, create. Our writing gift is unique to each one of us. May we write to glorify him and to bless others.






I work full time for the United Reformed Church in their central London office (although am working from home at the moment). I’m also a lay minister. I wrote a devotional for the anthology ‘Light for the Writer’s Soul’, published by Media Associates International, and my short story ‘Magnificat’ appears in the ACW Christmas Anthology ‘Merry Christmas Everyone’.

Comments

  1. So encouraging, as always! Imposter syndrome is definitely a thing. I've had it all my life. We were speaking about pitfalls and comparison at home group yesterday. It's so easy to slip into that habit of believing that everyone else is getting it right and you're not. I love your last paragraph. I'll hold on to that! Better get on with writing my own blog for tomorrow (gulp!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think that most folk suffer from imposter syndrome, Ruth - both the shy, unsure ones and the ones who seem all confident and bright on the outside. All my life I've had a feeling of being the 'odd one out' - a bit less so than when I was a child, but that feeling has never quite left. xxx

      Delete
  2. This is so true. I 'went' to a Society of Authors event during Lockdown where several well known authors talked about suffering from this, so it clearly has less to do with being published and more to do with being comfortable in our own skin with the gifts God has given us. As you say, Philippa, for believers, we are free to be whoever we are called to be. We can share our gift with others in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that many famous and successful creatives suffer acutely from imposter syndrome. Thank you, Deborah. And, yes, thank God for the freedom in the Spirit that He gives us.

      Delete
  3. I’m an Authorised Lay Preacher in the CofE and I also occasionally lead services. I feel like an imposter every time I stand up in front of the congregation. Who am I to be telling people what to do? But, actually, I’m not giving out my own advice. I’m exploring what Jesus said in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Have more of this with painting than my writing possibly because painting/drawing has always been who I am stuff, from a small child, forever. This suggests that imposter syndrome is embedded in our "identity", I suspect. Writing is a later thing, and probably a 'gift for a task'. Hum. Only if I counted how many books or my 'ratings onAmazon' I'd know I am indeed an imposter. It may also be something which is underlined by our upbringing... Only putting this forward to help in the dealing with it stuff - of course, God wants us to use our gifts, and use them well... if parents preferred the idea of us becoming 'lawyers and doctors and things' (phrase from old pop song, I forget by whom!) then we can fall into feelings of wrongness, inadequacy, etc... but that could be ... rejecting our gifts! I think you said it, Philippa - already, above!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have massive imposter syndrome, but I don't think I'm good enough....

    Seriously though, IS has a massive impact on so many. With my coaching 'hat' on, this is part of many of my clients stories - which limits their impact in many ways. As others have said, if we work hard at creating a culture that acknowledges gifts (without getting all woo-woo about that), we can all help each other recognise the gifts we have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I needed to hear this as it describes how I was feeling this afternoon as I offered to donate my novels to the library!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment