Words of Hope



Tracy Williamson’s post last April really resonated with me. That she had to hear words of hatred, so vitriolic she lost all hope and nearly lost her life, cut me to the core. How can anyone do that to an adult, let alone a child? But it happens. We all know it happens.


A good friend of mine explained why. Cortisol is nature’s built-in alarm system. It's the body’s main stress hormone and works with your brain to control mood, motivation and fear, whereas oxytocin (the happy hormone) is connected to life-affirming activities. Now, this is the interesting bit; the oxytocin is very short-lived and is removed from the bloodstream within around 5 minutes but the cortisol can hang around for hours!!

I have had to heal over the years, recover from words thrust at me like knives, my child-heart alarmed and confused by my disobedience and deception. Like Tracy and many children like us, I found solace in stories and would lose myself in reading and writing them. 

But don’t you find it fascinating that from a dark experience light can cautiously tiptoe out, grow in confidence and shine? I have a heart for children. I see their beauty, their love for life and their fragile vulnerability. Their need for love, acceptance and affirmation. The way they push the boundaries; cheeky with childish arrogance, even defiant yet with one negative word, they will shrivel and hide under a mask of protection. Yes, I have a heart for children and will write a billion words of light for them. Words of encouragement, words of adventure, words of excitement, words of kindness, words of hope. 



Comments

  1. I always vowed I would never work with children because I thought my own horrible experiences as a child would mean I wouldn't be able to take it and would be too upset. I was determined to avoid that. God had other ideas and I became a teacher which has been part of the healing. He was very merciful though and let me be a medical secretary until I was ready ;) which wasn't until my early forties ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still amazes me how God uses the things that most frighten us or have been the most horrendous experiences for good. He somehow turns it all around and our lives are shaped into something we'd never imagined. It's kind of miraculous. Thank you for sharing. Some of this stuff is really painful. Xx

      Delete
    2. I too was greatly healed, over many years, from childhood experiences by working as a primary school teacher, especially when I was a reception/year one teacher in a small country school. As Nikki said in her reply to Fran's comment, 'It's kind of miraculous'. I have a kind and loving Christian husband to thank for my healing too. As well as God, of course.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Veronica for sharing. It's wonderful how we have healed/are still healing and are able to speak openly with each other.

      Delete
  2. I so completely get this Nikki. Being constantly wounded as a child is incredibly damaging. Tracy's blog was so sad and poignant. I felt it. And yes you're right, the bewildered child often escapes into books. Thank you. Thoughtful and timely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ruth, true children escape into books but it's more about how God can make something good come out of something dark. A broken child can become a writer giving hope to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was wonderful, Nikki. Maybe been a wounded child was why I became such a bookworm. I'll send you a message as for the other reason it touched me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin. Books are such a necessary escape!. X

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post, Nikki. I can see how God uses you as a teacher in so many ways. I can relate too, and have similar experiences. Thank you for your honesty x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment