Don't give up the day job

I find myself back “tent-making” this week. Some of you may know that I worked as an interior designer and decorator for seven years, before sensing I should lay it down at the start of 2019. I’ve been privileged to have spent most of my time writing since then, but this week I have picked up the paintbrush again in order to help out a friend.


It feels odd not to be writing – not that I’ve entirely abandoned it, of course. My whiteboard in the office still shows some looming deadlines of shorter, commissioned pieces but the magnus opus no longer needs my undivided attention. In fact, said novel – resplendent in its shiny new re-write – is currently being pitched to a publisher, a testing of the waters by my agent. And the parallel is not lost on me: that I am spending time painting a lady’s house because I have finished writing my psychological thriller about an interior designer doing up a lady’s house…

In this brief season of busyness, I have found precious companions via podcasts. When UCB begins to pall, I turn off the radio (trying to avoid smearing paint on the button in the process) and open my iPad. The other day, I listened to tips on marketing, making a financial plan and how best to conduct research. This afternoon, it was homing in on fiction via the wisdom of Joanne Harris. I enjoy her “calling a spade a spade” attitude, stripping away some of the pretension that comes from other established writers. Furthermore, I remain intrigued at knowing she was once the English teacher of one of my piano pupils. She recounted how an older lady on one of her courses was struggling to understand how to create a character, despite her evident skill as a writer. In the end, Joanne suggested that she spent ten minutes fleshing out life from the bland name, John Smith. I loved that, in just a short space of time, this lady had decided not only the general outline of what he looked like and how he lived but had added the curious detail that he went out at the same time each day but no one knew where he went. Well, how many plot possibilities lie in that simple statement!

So, I may not be actually writing at the moment but even my time away from my desk can keep the creative juices flowing. Who knows, I might even benefit from the break.


Jane Walters is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (Jane Clamp, SPCK) and is vice-chair of ACW. Her current novel, The Updoing of Marjorie Taylor is in the process of finding a publisher through Intersaga Literary Agency.

www.janewyattwalters.com

Comments

  1. I absolutely love the title of your novel and the sound of it. All power to its elbow in the pitching! And I so agree with you on Joanne Harris - she doesn't mess about and she's generous with her frank advice, too. I subscribe to her Youtube channel and it's invaluable for an inspiration-boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m mildly afraid that the title is the book’s best feature 😕. I’ve subscribed, too. She talks a lot of sense.

      Delete
  2. I certainly need to do other things than just write, Jane, not sure I'm as disciplined as you listening to podcasts and writterley information. My indulgence then tends to be Audible. I know though that I couldn't work each day for 8 hours like Jeffrey Archer (heard on SoA) who works for 8 hours a day in two hour stints. For one thing, even doing this university course at present and spending long hours at the computer, I'm finding that my shoulders etc ache a lot. I'm too old for long sustained hours at the computer. Not sure how Jeffrey Archer manages at 80!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aching neck is my bag. Ageing isn’t for cissies, as my mum would say.

      Delete
  3. It is difficult to get a balance between writing and tent-making. My regular paid job is so mentally exhausting but it takes me an hour and a half after I get in to just work out how to cook a meal. By the time I've cooked and eaten I have an hour left of my day and by then I am just too physically exhausted to do anything else. This means out of necessity I have had to put writing on hold completely.

    I am now seeking to work part-time at work which I am hoping will give me the mental space to start writing again. I know what you mean by ideas coming when you're doing something else . I have definitely found that and i think i'm working part-time might be a good balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your exhaustion, Lynda, and I have to admit to subsisting on ready meals just lately. I simply haven’t got the energy to cook.

      Delete
  4. I love this, what a fabulous way to think and move things forward. I agree, podcasts are awesome, although I may be a tad biased 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you did feature on my playlist the other day!!

      Delete
  5. I love this Jane. A break from writing is so helpful and as I always say, life is copy. I also love the sound of your novel. And I like your snappy haircut too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hair is less snappy these days but I like to preserve the memory 😂

      Delete
  6. I also love the sound of your book, Jane! Great piece and so true that time doing other things once the MO is (largely) finished, gives space to receive writingy things rather than give them. Go, You! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment