Find Your Own Hole

How do you fit a square peg in a round hole? Well, I could get all mathematical on you (stop groaning at the back) and explain that as long as the diagonal of the square is shorter than the diameter of the circle, then it’s not a problem.  


However, this misses the point of the phrase. Square pegs are not designed to fit comfortably in round (or hexagonal, or triangular) holes. They tend to look a little awkward, too. And yet the pressure of familial expectations, social media ideals or (tragically) rigid church structures mean that many of us spend far too much time trying to force ourselves into a space that was never intended for us, often bruising ourselves in the process. 

 

This way of thinking can damage our writing selves, too. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with wanting to write a bestseller (I can dream) or at least see our words in print. But if we spend too much time fixating on becoming the next Tolkien or (insert your writer of choice here) then it’s likely we’re trying to force our hexagonal self into a square hole. Being inspired by another writer is fine, but aiming to become their carbon-copy will leave you feeling faded and smudged around the edges. Similarly, while I’m all for getting advice from other writers, treating their words of wisdom as a magical formula that guarantees success will almost certainly end in disappointment.

 

I love the fact that ACW represents such a wide variety of writers; journalists, songwriters, poets, letter-writers, bloggers, novelists and so on. Some write full-time, many fit it in around regular employment, and others snatch odd moments in the midst of caring for small children. To borrow from Paul’s analogy, the writing body is made up of many parts, all of which matter. Writing takes many forms, and God is less impressed by six-figure advances than the rest of us. What counts in His kingdom is being faithful to the vision He has given us, whether that’s writing something for the church magazine that will encourage another believer or seeing our novel in the local bookshop.

 

So, can I encourage you to learn to be comfortable in your own writing ‘hole’? As Oscar Wilde might have said, ‘Be your writing-self; everybody else is already taken.’

 


Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and writes regularly for Together magazine. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona also works part-time for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. Very comforting advice. not forgetting that some of us tend to change shape and/or holes as we go along. but with God the view is always encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica - sometimes it feels hard to adapt to changes, too.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful reminder to be true to ourselves! The trap of comparison can rob us of so much ... Even the joy of writing. Thanks for this, Fiona. It's great to celebrate the diverse group that we are in ACW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy - I love being part of such a varied group!

      Delete
  3. Oscar Wilde - the man who said the things you wish you'd thought of yourself. Although, having said that, I'm doing EXACTLY what this post warns against!! There's no hope for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice, and jolly hard to take! A good reminder though which I will continue to apply to my life. Must stop trying to be what I'm not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I need to remind myself of quite regularly!

      Delete
  5. This really blessed and encouraged me. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. Thank you for this post. I feel I’m slowly crawling out of the hole of bereavement- and I’m determined to be just me when I’m totally out! Whatever shape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Fiona, this is wonderfully encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep going - even when the others don't actually like what we write... or they get what we're saying wrong... or we get what they're saying wrong... listen, appreciate, (or not): Abide in the vine... we are all branches...(twigs, leaves...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the analogy of the vine, too - thanks, Clare.

      Delete
  9. You can never be too unique! Thanks for reminding us of that, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an apposite post for our time Fiona. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a left-hander (with a pretty dysfunctional left hand) I am always trying to find a way round the things that lie in front of me, so the 'dare to be different' mindset is not one that worries me most of the time. Every so often, however, and even in the world of writers or at the interface of writing and Christian faith, I sense a definite sense of 'if only ...' rising up. It's great therefore to be reminded that 'being faithful to the vision' is ultimately what counts. Thank you, Fiona. And thank you too, Veronica, for reminding us that change is a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get bogged down by the "if only" mindset. Interesting how your left-handedness has helped you think of new ways around challenges.

      Delete
  12. Also just because one writing route fails, it doesn't mean others will. That's how I found flash fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point - sometimes we get so wedded to one genre that we miss the opportunities offered by another.

      Delete
  13. So true we can end up in a tangled mess copying others or striving to be like them . I've been there ! As an adoptee always trying to find where I fit has been a very bruising journey . God has carried me through it with great mercy and grace .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Fiona. I'm delighted and surprised that people aren't horrified that I'm writing about a elderly lady who commits murders, so your post was immensely helpful. I'm glad you didn't get to mathematical ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment