Writerly Injustice by Emily Owen

Photo credit: www.ahnaziegler.com via unsplash.com

ALT: An ash cross on a person's forehead


Reader, my time has come.

22nd is often a fairly insignificant date, unless it’s your birthday or similar.

Not for me a blog topic pre-chosen, unless of course Christmas Eve Eve Eve ever takes off.

As for Easter, the last time it fell on 22nd was 1984 and the next time will be 2057.

But today, 22nd February 2023, marks the beginning of Lent.

Rejoice with me, I have a pre-chosen topic.


According to Wikipedia (here), three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigour during Lent are:

Prayer (justice toward God)

Fasting (justice toward self)

Almsgiving (justice toward neighbours)

 

What could these three mean if we apply them specifically to writing?


Prayer (Justice towards God):

 All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Psalm 139:16

Bringing Him into our writing. Asking Him to guide us. Trusting His Knowing. Crediting Him with Knowing.

Perhaps we can remember God’s partnership with us with ‘renewed vigour’ this Lent.

 

Fasting (justice towards self):

Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

“No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. 

John 8:10

It’s so easy to beat ourselves up.

I should be doing more/writing more/better/publishing/marketing/etc.

‘Those that condemn us’ can often be voices from within. 

Perhaps we can fast from those voices, with ‘renewed vigour’ this Lent, listening for Jesus’ I don’t condemn you. 

  

Almsgiving (justice towards neighbours):

Encourage one another and build each other up. 

1 Thessalonians 5:11

- Comment on a blog

- Leave a review

- Blog about a book

(Thank you to all who do these things so well and faithfully.)

- Gift/recommend a book

- Tell someone you read their book

Perhaps we can seek - with ‘renewed vigour’ - to be encouragers this Lent.


The German word for Lent is Fastenzeit – fasting time.

May we learn to fast, with renewed vigour, from writerly injustice to our God, and to ourselves, and to our neighbours.

 

 And what does the LORD require of you? 

To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8


Comments

  1. What a beautiful post, Emily! Thanks so much. The scripture verses are apt and brilliantly applied to our writing. Thank you! I thoroughly liked how you applied the 'Fasting' , 'Almsgiving' and 'Prayer' bits ! That is wonderful.
    I say a big AMEN to your blessing for those who encourage others. I will add one more to your list: - Read MTW posts and leave comments.[ Sometimes, even writers of their own posts do not return to read comments!] Lovely post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia.
      And thank you for adding to the blog - brilliant addition. I wonder what more ways there are to encourage each other. Perhaps others will add to our list!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful handling of a pre chosen topic! Thank you. Thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 'ashing' service is a beautiful way to begin Lent (we hope to be going along at 6.00pm) and I hope it will remind me to remember to encourage other writers - in their work... Thanks Emily for taking the challenge of a 'special day' to write your blg around it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire. I hope you were able to get to the service, and it was special.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful! Love your take on this and particularly appreciate your practical suggestions. Thank you Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your angle on this - I like the idea particularly of fasting from all those hurry-hurry-do-more voices. I could do with a bit of silence in that regard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. I think many of us could do with fasting from hurry voices!

      Delete
  6. This is simply superb! I'm reading it at lunchtime as I embark on another round of forced inspiration. Because I don't wait for the muse to find me (haven't got time for that), I cudgel my brains for ideas and beat myself up if they don't come. Great, great ideas and I am so glad that your 22nd slot paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. Gold star for getting the word ‘cudgel’ into a comment, too!

      Delete
  7. This is wonderful, Emily. I didn't know about the emphasis on almsgiving as well as prayer and fasting in Lent. And what a great way of applying all three to writing. I am going to give your suggestions a go this Lent. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your posts, Emily. Regarding the 22nd, do you know that 22 November is St Cecilia's Day - the patron saint of music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. And thank you for the November tip. I didn’t know it, and it appears I have another pre-chosen topic. I had no idea 22nd is so popular! ~Emily

      Delete

Post a Comment