When a book chooses you

 

Photo by D A V I D S O N L U N A on Unsplash

It began as just a regular bimble, nothing unusual. 

Then we bumped into a friend from church, who was running, which was unusual for him, especially when he said where he was running to. He was running to Mordor. 

Yes, that really is what he said, and no, he's not been delusional. In fact, I've started running there myself too. Let me explain...

We've taken on a virtual quest through a company called The Conqueror. You can go anywhere. From John O Groats to Kilimanjaro. From the Great Wall of China to The South Downs Way. And you get medals too! An excellent added motivation to exercise. 

And with 1,1067k to go before my next medal, I'm going to need that motivation!

And what else will help with motivation? The book. Of course!

As I began this challenge, I decided it would make total sense to read the novel. I read the Hobbit, a few years ago and it took me ages. It was a bedside book, so I only read a few pages at a time, so I feared this would be the same. It turned out I was wrong. I'm gripped and in awe at the magic of Tolkien's writing, the subtle humour and, slightly stunned at how this book chose me!

I get to page 42, and this is what I read:

So it went on, until his forties were running out, and his fiftieth birthday was drawing near; fifty was a number that he felt was somehow significant (or ominous); it was at any rate at that age that adventure had suddenly befallen Bilbo.

Yes, confession time, I'm turning 50 this year, in November. So you can imagine my surprise when I read those words. I wrote a post in July 2021, about how God can show up in a book when you least expect it. This feels a little more like God gently saying, as he does, how he's involved in every stage of my life, as Psalm 139:5 expresses perfectly You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. 

I don't know what awaits me in the next 24 hours, let alone when I hit this major milestone, but God does, and that's comforting. So as Biblo says 'I'm going on an adventure!' in more ways then one. 

I'd love to hear if a books chosen you, and if you've read a book that matches your age. Let me know in tbe comments or on Facebook. 

And if I've inspired you to also go to Mordor, then let me know and I'll send you the link. I'm sure they'll be further blogs as I get further on my trek and deeper into this tremendous classic!

 

 

Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on Twitter here.

 






Comments

  1. I've never thought of a book choosing me to be honest -but it's an intriguing thought. I'm reading one of my favourite books at the moment, Lorna Sage's memoir Bad Blood. Very sadly, she didn't make it to my age (56) but died in her 40s so there is an extra layer when I read it. As for a book which makes you run- well! Maybe I should look into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never come across that book before. Just looked it up, and she did get to your age, Ruth. She died at 57, one week after winning the Whitbread award for her memoir. I have a feeling there's many books out there that could encourage you to run. May you find the best one, and who knows where you could be this time next year! ;)

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the fan club, hopefully, Martin! I'm not quite sure what the running and the medals is about, but if you reach the intended place, the fiery mountain, and then, you return to the Shire, you will have followed in Frodo's steps. And Sam's - he is an important part of the story. Avoid the movie, while reading, as it (like all movies) makes some changes... This book is definitely a pilgrimage, not just an adventure story. Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare. That's not the first time I've heard it called a pilgrimage. Let's see what other surprises God has planned!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Martin! I caught on the excitement and thrill from you and your friend about Mordor and began to wonder what on earth the hullabaloo was all about. What did he see or get from there? Like you said, you will share more. I consider that a book chooses me when I don't buy it but it gets to my hands to be reviewed, or for beta reading - like that. I choose my books to read. But that was an interesting thought. Looking forward to reading your adventures at Mordor! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia. Normally I choose my books too, but it seems that God had a plan this time, as he always does! Blessings, Martin

      Delete
  4. Natasha Woodcraft9 February 2023 at 20:18

    Oh, fab! This post had me at #lotr 😀 So glad you picked it up, it is superior in almost every way to the Hobbit. The Hobbit is just an amusing little jog in the back garden compared to the marathon to Mordor. Enjoy every second. Then read it every year. It never grows old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha, just shows the power of a good hashtag! 😁 Yes, I'm surprised how different it is to The Hobbit. As with every marathon, I'm sure I'll hit the wall at some point, but hopefully I've be able to make my way over it and reach the end, celebrating.

      Delete
  5. Loved this post Martin and love the idea of a book choosing me and life being full of adventure, whatever my age. But, please forgive me, I've never read Tolkien! I have tried but it's just not my thing. I've always felt obscurely guilty about this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, Deborah, and of course you are forgiven. Think of it like spinach. At least you tried it. I'm sure you've got a favourite novel that isn't my cup of tea at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad The Lord of the Rings has found you. It found me 60 years ago and I’ve read it at least 25 times. You go deeper each time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment