Things that make writers laugh


If there is one aspect of leading such an ACW-affiliated writing group that takes a massively disproportionate time of time to prepare... it's the ice breaker! If you're not careful you can spend hours and hours choosing the perfect way to metaphorically hit ice with a hammer. So when I do stumble across something, I save it in a little folder on my computer so I can whip it out later like a pro.

(In fact, I've never figured out if I should open our group in prayer first and then break the ice or the other way around? Comments please!)

So far I have found inspiration on social media, googling and (surprise, surprise) the occasional book.

Social Media

Following the hashtag #memesforwriters on Instagram can either leave you in stitches or lost down a rabbit role for so long you lose track of what's really funny anymore. In fact, in the search to find an example to post here I just wasted about 10 minutes of my life till I found one that made me laugh out loud. 

(credit to @saltsagebooks who stole it from @Writers_write)


The ACW Facebook Page is a treasure trove for such things. Here's a couple of examples (forgive me I didn't save the original post but just the photo that was posted):


And also...



Googling

There are a few 'joke' websites with writing related jokes but please make sure you read them aloud to yourself first instead of just assuming they'll all be funny. 

For example.... 

I once asked this literary agent what writing paid the best, and he said, ‘ransom notes’.

(Funny)

A writer died and was given the option of going to heaven or hell. She decided to check out each place first. As the writer descended into the fiery pits, she saw row upon row of writers chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they were repeatedly whipped with thorny lashes. “Oh my,” said the writer. “Let me see heaven now.” A few moments later, as she ascended into heaven, she saw rows of writers, chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they, too, were whipped with thorny lashes. “Wait a minute,” said the writer. “This is just as bad as hell!” “Oh no, it’s not,” replied an unseen voice. “Here, your work gets published.”

(Not Funny)

I copied these jokes from a website who pinched them from a twitter thread which makes me wonder: who are the very few funny writers who are generating these ice-breakers that the rest of us just regurgitate over and over and over? 

If you are a writer of both original and funny work then you have my deepest respect and please share your social media channel so I can follow you. And remember to always embed your name or social media handle into the actual meme itself so that you will always get the credit. 


Books

I have this hilarious book called Bold's Fold by Darren which is a series of comics and diary entries about the life of a charismatic church leader. It expertly walks the line of laughing at oneself without offending or being too corny. I love it so much!

If you find a book that is funny, original and (for bonus points) Christian themed... buy it and never lend it! It will give you years worth of ice-breakers not just for your writing group, but for you too. 


Finally

If you have any other go-to places for ice-breakers for an ACW-affiliated writers' group then please do share. You will save this group leader hours and hours of time. Thank you and God bless you. 



Joanne Gilchrist is mother of 3 and runs the charity, Ruach Resources, which is the home of God for Kids app and the Animals of Eden Valley children's books. She also wrote the autobiographical "Looking for Love", "Next Steps to Following Jesus" for children and freelances for the SunScool app.


Comments

  1. Lovely post Joanne, thanks. It felt great to read a piece so humorous. The one that you labelled 'not funny' really cracked me up more than the funny one. You have just given me a good idea. I do not make humour consciously but I find that people just laugh at what I say and do[but I don't see why]. For example, I recently told my daughter that if I next went on a hols, I would take along with me all the books I had not yet read in my library. To her that was soooo hilarious! So some people's idea of funny might not tickle others.
    I also think it's a marvellous idea to break the ice after an opening prayer. I always look forward to Joel Osteen. He starts with an ice breaker[Joke] before he prays and preaches. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s funny that you laughed at the ‘not funny’ joke! It’s a good reminder that humour can be so subjective. Thanks for the Joel Osteen tip too… that’s helpful.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for so many jokes packed into one blog! I loved it! I laughed out loud several times. like Sophia, I also found the second joke very funny. As you know, I write funny (such a relief to be able to make jokes after years of serious freelance writing) and I am everywhere at @ruthleighwrites. But I'm sure you know that. Personally, I'd break the ice first then pray. Just my thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I definitely follow your stuff and love it. x

      Delete

Post a Comment