What is it You’re Writing? by Rebecca Seaton

 

What is it You’re Writing? by Rebecca Seaton


Trying to put it succinctly.

This sometimes feels like the dreaded question. We feel like we’re supposed to have an answer. Not any answer either, but a clear, coherent answer on the nature and progress of our current project: this is often easier said than done!

 

This can come in different forms depending on the audience’s needs and expectations. The ‘elevator pitch’ is a common format: if you were stuck in a lift with someone, could you quickly and simply explain your basic premise? It should be about twenty words. A synopsis is more of a summary and this is probably intended more for a deliberate pitch, for example, when submitting work to an agent. For this, we want a bit more detail, it expands on the basic premise, allowing for themes, main events and principal characters to be highlighted.

 

However, not everything is easily defined. How confident are we with describing the genre of our work or its target audience, especially when not everyone holds the same view of content? What one person considers young adult may be children’s literature to somewhere else; there isn’t always a clear boundary, just as there isn’t always with genres. And what about crossover? Is it a supernatural thriller or a fantasy work with a detective aspect? I’m a great fan of writers like James Oswald who blur the lines of genre but it’s not as easy to sell an unusual concept when you’re new to the game.

 

What it comes down to is what do we want the reader to know? If we know what we want our ideal reader to know about our story when they come to our book launch or see our book in the shops (we hope) then we will have the same words on the tip of our tongue when speaking to an agent or publisher.

 

Plans and ideas evolve so it’s important to review what we’re thinking about our own work as we make progress with it. I’ve recently come to realise that my WIP might be just fantasy rather than YA fantasy and that isn’t a problem, so long as I’m clear about that and why it is. Crucially, know what is the core of the work and what is window dressing when you’re talking about it. The person you’re pitching to needs to know it’s a fantasy trilogy centred on a teenage protagonist with a redemptive story arc; they don’t need to know what colour eyes the different goblins tribes have. If they read that far, they’re already hooked.

 

Be prepared, your opportunity may come when you least expect it. I went to a ‘meet the agent’ event fully prepared to speak about my already published work but found agents more interested in what I was currently working on. Naively, I hadn’t really thought as much about that but was lucky that some of what I said resonated with a couple of agents.

 

Practise on a friend if you can and you’ll be ready for interesting conversations in the future, as well as writing more effectively as you remind yourself of the direction you’re going in.

 

 

#amwriting #amwritingfantasy #ACW                                                           

                                                                                       

Comments

  1. Wow! What a really lovely post! Thanks Rebecca. I was truly blessed by your 4th and 6th paragraphs, especially. I will soon be interviewed by Maressa Mortimer in her blog about my latest book - 'The New Creatures'. This post has clearly defined and patterned my thoughts. I used to struggle about what to say in response to the question you asked. I have never been satisfied with my different responses. But saying what I want my readers to know, nails the question on the head!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Rebecca, I love a good elevator pitch. My problem is that I'm usually working on 2 or 3 WIPs at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rebecca. I am very bad at answering the ‘what are you writing’ question. I’m even bad at describing books I’ve already written! Some great tips in your blog. ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very useful tips, Rebecca. It reminds me to formulate a good elevator pitch well in advance of needing it!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being armed with a concise overview of your work is crucial. One of the benefits of doing events is that you are forced to come up with one when a random stranger wanders over and asks, "So what's your book about?" A great blog, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rebecca, I found this helpful. I have been told my WIP is unclear in its genre because it's a detective / crime novel but doesn't focus enough on police procedure, which the genre conventionally demands, I'm told. For me, the story is as much about what drives the characters themselves outside of their occupations. I'm going to pinch 'redemptive story arc' from you as that fits well, and I hadn't thought of the phrase before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment