Celebrating National Make-a-Friend Day and the Blessings of Friendship by Peculiar Medinus

Mom's Funeral: Flanked by Friends
Mom's Funeral - Flanked by Friends

Today is a day of appreciation! It's National Make a Friend Day, an occasion to recognise the tremendous blessings that come with friendship. For me, this day holds special significance as it marks not only the celebration of camaraderie and companionship but also the birthday of one of two friends who expended countless hours in prayer with me during the difficulties I faced due to my mother’s passing away. The prayers that came really helped me hold on to faith. It kept me going in moments when I felt weak or hopeless about the situation at hand. As I settled down to write this blog, I remembered the many blessings friendship has earned me.

Friendship has many definitions, but it is the lubricant of all relationships. Families, co-workers, and acquaintances cannot thrive without friendship. My sweet mother was laid to rest on February 4th, and I am still in awe of the support I got from family and friends alike. During the difficult time in my life, friendships were rekindled. I had a happy reunion with old friends who left families and businesses to join me and celebrate my mother’s life. I found comfort in the fact that I was surrounded by love and support. Friends from near and far reached out to me with kind words and gestures. A childhood friend who couldn’t attend owing to proximity had a family representative and surprised me with souvenirs. In times of sorrow and loss, the power of friendship can be truly remarkable. I found solace in my friends when I least expected it. Truly, there is no bond quite like friendship during trying moments in our lives.

My lounge was completely transformed. It looked like a flower shop and card factory during mom’s first

Mom's Funeral - In Traditional Attire

service of songs. A profusion of colourful bouquets and heartfelt cards were everywhere—some sent through the mail and others brought in person by many loving friends who wanted me to know how much I was supported during a difficult time. The warm words expressed in these precious notes provided strength and comfort that will never be forgotten.

My church service group members were also extremely supportive. Knowing that people were praying for me on a daily basis gave me strength when I felt like giving up. I will not leave out members of ACW. I am thankful for prayers from the prayer room, cards from group members, and endorsements as I write a memoir in my mom’s memory. Their unwavering love has been instrumental in this journey!

Losing someone you love is never easy; however, having such an incredible network of support around you is invaluable and can make all the difference! The past few months have been tough, but they have also reminded me of how important it is to have people around you who will lift your spirit even when times are hard and painful memories resurface. I am eternally grateful for every single person who has extended their love to me and family members.

Having supportive friends is essential no matter what life brings—through good times and bad. They are valuable throughout all stages of life, whether we are going through struggles or simply enjoying life together by sharing meals, playing games, going on vacations, or just hanging out! Friends also provide us with honest feedback when we need it most, which helps us grow as individuals; they provide camaraderie when facing challenging times; they give us comfort when we're feeling down; they offer advice when we need it; they push us to try new things; and, most importantly, they provide a shoulder to lean on at all moments with infinite love. Friends truly offer the best support system we could ask for!

The truth is that good friendships are hard to come by these days because everyone is so busy juggling work, school, family commitments…the list goes on! In our fast-paced lives, it has become increasingly difficult to form deep friendships—yet these relationships are some of life’s greatest treasures! National Make a Friend Day is the perfect opportunity to pause and appreciate those meaningful connections we all can make. Today, let's celebrate by investing in new friendships or simply showing appreciation for existing ones because friends give us energy, knowledge, and joy that help brighten any day. Let's take some time out for ourselves and make an effort to cultivate meaningful friendships with those around us because, at the end of the day, friendship truly is one of life’s greatest gifts! Happy National Make-a-Friend Day!

 


Comments

  1. Rest well our dear mother, we will miss you greatly. To dear sister/friend stay strong and safe in the hollow of His hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you for sharing writing about your experience. An encouraging read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad my blog post inspired you.

      Delete
  3. Your mum is with the Father now out of pain, and suffering and is resting in his loving arms.
    May God continue to give you and your beautiful family peace and fortitude.
    God bless you and your family.
    Much love
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carol. This is amazing. Thanks for your love and prayers.

      Delete
  4. My Condolences, the memory of the just is blessed. Thank God for the great support system you were blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Peculiar. Friendship is a gift and a blessing from God. I praise God for the gift of friendship you have enjoyed and still enjoying. The lovely pics are testimonies. May your mother's soul rest in perfect peace. Amen. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophia, thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back. We thank God for everything. May God be with you and your family always. God bless you Sis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite an inspiring write up, friends are treasures indeed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment