An old-fashioned writer?

 

    I’m often called old-fashioned

    By people in the know.

    They tut and frown and shake their heads,

    And say I’m far too slow.

 

    I’ve never liked technology;

    Computers drive me mad.

    I much prefer the quills they used

    When Shakespeare was a lad.

 



    And if ’twere good enough for him

    Then who’s to say I’m wrong?

    (Though when I write my manuscripts

    It takes me twice as long.)

 

    My writing desk is clutter-free:

    No screen (as you might think).

    A sharpened feather’s all I need –

    With parchment and some ink.

 

    I sometimes dream of stationery

    (As writers often do),

    Of vellum and papyrus marked

    With perfect shades of blue.

 

    And when I find my trusty quill

    Is blunt from over-use.

    I walk down to the riverbank

    And grab the nearest goose.

 

    It’s when submission dates loom near

    I have been known to boast,

    For postal strikes don’t bother me:

    I just use pigeon-post!


Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and writes regularly for Together magazine. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle  in January 2018. Fiona also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. This is brilliant, Fiona. I read it to hubby and we had a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this, Fiona! That comic touch....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Fiona! Really love this poem. Magical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burst out laughing! Thank you so much Fiona. This is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good, Fiona! And oh so nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed that Fiona, great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant, Fiona. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent, Fiona. Refreshing poem. Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a chuckle and this certainly gave me several! I read it ages ago and just realised I didn't comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment