'What kind of writer are you?' by Deborah Jenkins

                                                     

Do you ever ask yourself this question? I do, at times. What kind of writer am I? I want to be easy-going, humble, generous, welcoming constructive criticism, delighting in the success of others. In reality, most of the time I manage to be some of these. I am not so good at others. Occasionally, I go to bed with an intense dislike for myself because I failed to be that writer.

There are people in ACW, and in the writing community at large, who seem to me to embody many if not all of the great qualities above. I call them 'open hearted writers'. They are just so good at talking about writing naturally, encouraging others, receiving advice gladly, championing fellow writers, giving of their time.

Of course the public face never tells the whole story. Who hasn't rolled their eyes when receiving negative feedback or felt a twinge of jealousy observing another's success? We are human after all. But what I find intriguing is that when we choose to act in the opposite spirit to the 'natural' one, those feelings fade. We find ourselves genuinely grateful for the criticism, delighted for the other's success. That is the kind of writer, the kind of person I want to be, all of the time, not just on good days. I've made progress over the years but I'm not there yet. How about you?

Well, for a bit of thought provoking reflection, and some fun, I've devised a quiz for us. Let me know how you get on...

What kind of writer are you? 

1. You post a paragraph from your current WIP on a writers' forum with some punctuation queries. You get some helpful responses. However, a number of people pick up on things you didn't ask about - commenting on the use of vocabulary and word play. Do you: 

a) Ignore them. You didn't ask for said advice. They can go jump

b) Thank everybody for their comments and look carefully again at your piece, making all the changes you agree with

c) Feel annoyed at their audacity and eat a family sized bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk


2. Someone has posted a plea for help with an area of writing you've had success with. No one has commented and you are too busy to help. Do you: 

a) Wish you could help but you can't. Shrug your shoulders regretfully, and forget it

b) Explain you could offer advice but suggest a future date when you're not so busy

c) Apologise that you're too busy to help but tag a few people who might. Then feel guilty (they're probably busy too). Go back and delete the comment, praying no one's seen


3. At an on-line writing event, someone half your age, with less writing experience, shares his experience of writing a successful book. Do you:

a) Google his book immediately and miss the rest of the talk, reading a sample

b) Take assiduous notes, grateful for the things you can learn from him.

c) Write in the chat to a friend 'HOW CAN SOMEONE SO YOUNG KNOW ALL THIS?!' realising, a second too late, you've sent it to everyone


4. You've sent your work of genius to several beta readers who promised to get back to you in a month. Two of them have now apologised and said it will now two months. Do you:

a) Email back saying thanks but no thanks. 

b) Decide to use the time profitably to research agents and publishers

c) Craft a grudgingly patient reply and delete them from your Christmas list


5) Someone you know is offered the publishing deal of her dreams. And yours. Do you:

a) Pretend it hasn't happened and disengage. Too painful

b) Congratulate her warmly, promote her book when you can, and let her success motivate you in your writing

c) Give up writing. Take up jiu jitsu instead


So what kind of writer are you?

Mostly a) - You're not perfect, you're a human being. There will be days like this. Try again tomorrow

Mostly b) - You're not perfect, you're a human being. There will be days like this. Try again tomorrow

Mostly c) - You're not perfect, you're a human being. There will be days like this. Try again tomorrow


What kinds of writers are we? Human ones, attempting to follow our calling in a difficult and unpredictable profession, while juggling jobs, families, health issues, complex lives. Perhaps we should cut ourselves some slack. The truth is, everyone's making it up as they go along and we're all trying to avoid different stages of the dance with fear. Will anyone PUBLISH my book? Will anyone READ my book? What if everyone HATES my book? How am I ever going to write ANOTHER book? 

But we have God and each other. We are part of a bigger picture and we are never alone.

Whatever kind of writer you are today, take heart. We can do this...

                                                                 

The images above are from Pixabay


Deborah Jenkins is a freelance writer and teacher who has written articles, text books, devotional notes and short stories. She writes regularly for the tes. She has also completed a novella, The Evenness of Things, available as an Amazon e-book. She is currently working on the publication of a novel, Braver, and some children's stories about a cat called Oliver. Deborah loves hats, trees and small children. After years overseas with her family, who are now grown up, she lives in Sussex with her husband, a Baptist minister, and a cat called Oliver
 



Comments

  1. A very honest post and I love your quiz approach! It addresses some important issues for us as a writing community. I have my brochure about local jiu jitsu lessons handy at all times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I am, of course, a black belt in Ju Jitsu. If you believe that you'll believe anything

      Delete
    2. You're even more awesome than I thought, Wendy!

      Delete
  2. Haha. Don't let it tempt you away from writing! Thank you for your comment. Yes, we are all in this boat together, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah, this is brilliant. You have hit the nail on the head. If we are honest, we are all of those at some point or another. Now, if you'll excuse me, where did I put that giant size bar of chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy :) I think you're absolutely right. And sometimes I think it helps to acknowledge these things are there. Haha. Don't eat the whole of that bar at once!

      Delete
  4. Love the quiz, and the answers! We're all very good at hiding our times of being less than we'd like to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica. Yes, I suspect we are all the same in that regard and probably in many others too!

      Delete
  5. Great idea you have here Deborah - as usual, your piece has that little bit different quality. (One thing you left out - a small thing - Is there a dark chocolate alternative on offer, for when the dairy-intolerant feel in need of a sugary snack?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare, that means a lot. Many apologies about the milkist approach to chocolate! Of course, there should always be a dark chocolate alternative on offer. I've been trying to eat more of that lately as I understand it can even be good for one! Thanks again.

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful, Deborah. I recognise all of the above to a greater or lesser degree and would take up jiu jitsu (Brazilian, of course) but am too busy looking for that chocolate bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Yes, I think we must all do. I hope you find the chocolate!

      Delete
  7. Bang on, Deborah! Funny and delicious with a sweet nugget of truth at the centre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post so much! I can so identify with what you're saying - and such a good reminder that we're all human and just trying to forge a path forward in this crazy world of writing. Thank you for this post Deborah! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Liz! It was strange as I had planned to write something completely different but this post came out instead. I was a bit nervous about clicking that Publish button, to be honest, but I'm glad I did. Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that everyone else is admitting to not being a saint either! Actually I love angst-ridden creative people riven with insecurity and jealousy - I enjoy putting them in my novels. It's curiously cathartic for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing is very cathartic, I agree. Looking back, I think I've written some of my best stuff while I was unhappy, actually. It can really help!

      Delete
  11. This is so good Deborah! And you are EXACTLY the type of kind and gracious writer you describe at the start ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lovely to say so. Thank you! ❤️ But I still have a, way to go!

      Delete
  12. This is such a good post and thought provoking. Too be honest, after nearly finishing my creative writing course at university, I have learnt so much. I've certainly learnt to improve by taking all the advice, criticism etc in the aim to improve. In fact, one of the lecturers said that he'd not seen a student often take the advice on board and make the changes in the light of it. I have learnt, as at one time I would have found that process too painful. Always learning, absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a great compliment to you Sheila. Your course sounds terrific. Yes, if we stop wanting to learn, we stop wanting to live, in away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure how you managed to get inside my head - this all sounds scarily familiar! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much, Fiona! It just shows most, or even all, of us are the same on the inside 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant, Deborah, not that I recognise myself in any of these statements!! 🙂 You have really put your finger on the pain points.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Tish! Yes, writing has so many unique challenges. as well as rewards, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great questions. I'm not what I'd like to be, but better than I was. I do 'dance with fear' and that with 2 left feet and I can become very easily discouraged and demoralised, but just as easily encouraged too. Criticism really does contain a LOT of calories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment