Grammar tips (I promise it’s not boring), by Nicki Copeland


Words and grammar have always fascinated me. I remember when I was doing my A levels, we studied a new module called ‘Varieties of English’, which looked at different types and genres of writing, how accents and cultures were represented, and so on. I think I was the only one in the class who looked forward to these lessons!

So perhaps it was inevitable that I’d end up working with words and grammar. Being a writer, editor and proofreader allows me to see language from all angles – whether to convey my own message or to help others put across their message in the clearest possible way.

So it’s my copy editor’s hat that I wear today (the one who works on the nitty gritty of the text). In my work, I come across the same issues on a regular basis. So I thought it might be helpful to explore some of these. I hope it will be both interesting (there must be someone else out there…?) and helpful.

I or me?
We all grew up being taught, ‘It’s not John and me; it’s John and I.’ Well, often that’s true, but actually, sometimes ‘John and me’ is correct. I won’t bore you with a long explanation, but the easiest way to work out whether it should be ‘me’ or ‘I’ is to take John out of the picture (sorry, John). So if you would normally say, ‘I am going to the shops,’ if you go with John, you would say, ‘John and I are going to the shops.’ So far so good.

However, if you were to say, ‘She gave some chocolate to John and I,’ that would be incorrect. Again, take John out of the picture (no chocolate for you, John), and you wouldn’t say, ‘She gave some chocolate to I,’ but rather, ‘She gave some chocolate to me.’ Bring John back, and you get, ‘She gave some chocolate to John and me.’

Practice or practise?
Which is the verb and which is the noun? Is there a difference? And does it really matter?

In UK English, ‘practice’ is the noun and ‘practise’ is the verb. (US English is different, but let’s not muddy the waters.) An easy way to remember which is which is to think of ‘advice’ and ‘advise’. ‘Advice’, with a hard S sound, is the noun, and ‘advise’, with a softer S sound is the verb. Apply the same principle to practice/practise, and you’ve got it!

As well as … also
I see this one a lot. Basically, if you say something like, ‘As well as buying chocolate, she also bought cupcakes’ (I like chocolate – can you tell?), you’re repeating yourself. You don’t need ‘also’ because you’ve already said ‘as well as’. Other ways of saying ‘also’ are helpful to avoid repeating the same word – furthermore, moreover, in addition – but we only need one of them in the phrase.

I hope this is helpful. Do let me know in the comments – if so, I’ll bring some more next month!



Nicki Copeland is a freelance writer, speaker, copy editor and proofreader – and loves anything to do with words. She is the author of Losing the Fig Leaf and Less than Ordinary? She is also responsible for the day-to-day running of Instant Apostle publishers. When she has the luxury of some free time, she can invariably be found with a book in one hand and some chocolate in the other. 

Comments

  1. Thanks Nicki!Found the 'also' one very helpful. Are there more grammartips? I was really looking out for unusual tricky and complex ones and examples on tricky ones like advice and advise. God bless you. Love from Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicki, can you also do an article on: effect vs affect, and how to remove all those redundant modifiers: really, rather, very, definitely, somewhat, somehow etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a dyed-in-the-wool grammar/punctuation/spelling nerd myself, I completely concur!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you mentioned 'I and me'. You mentioned 'me' and I am glad.
    I cringe inwardly every time someone uses 'I' when it should be 'me'. Have I overdone the quotes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not boring at all! I love the nitty gritty of language use too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this Nicki - having grown up with two languages, I am also fascinated by the history and varieties of language, and I get very annoyed with people's grammar and spelling mistakes! (I try not to correct them on social media, but it's hard to hold back..). Your explanation of 'John and me' vs 'John and I' is exactly the way I would explain it. I hope next time you'll tackle 'there, their and they're' and apostrophes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, Nicki, you manage to make grammar sound fun. I do feel sorry for poor John though who doesn't get the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not boring at all! If I see the word 'grammar' in the title of a blog post, I'm IN! I love your chocolate-based explanation of the I/me issue. Brilliant way to communicate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, as someone who went to a Grammar School but was taught very little grammar, I soak up any hints I can get. It is helpful to be given easy ways to remember. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So interesting, Nicki! Even as a total grammar nerd, I sometimes struggle with "me" and "I". Will be mentally wrestling the chocolate from poor John from now on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comments. There seems to be sympathy for poor John. Anyone want to give him some of their chocolate? No? Thought not... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was great Nicki! It is the me and I that always stumps me! I also get snarled up with it's and its! Please do more in this vein! Many thanks and happy choccie eating, Tracy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. I love grammar! Thank you Nicki 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a love/hate relationship with grammar. I know it's incredibly important, especially if I want my readers to enjoy and be impacted by my writing, and have a book published one day. But I find it an ongoing struggle. Though, you have given me an idea for my next blog post, so I'm thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Read this on 9th May, and now I have a request. Please could you do an in-depth study of commas and semi-colans? I think usage has changed since I was at school, and I'd like to catch up with current thinking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment