A Glimmer of Hope



On this Good Friday as we look and reflect on the scene of the cross, amid the unspeakable pain, and suffering, we can see a glimpse of a new beginning. Even in the darkest time, if we search for it, there can be a glimmer of hope.

“Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:21

At Calvary most of Jesus’ followers had fled in fear there only remained one or two of those who loved Him the most, standing by, watching helplessly.

But in the horror of those final moments, there was forged an unlikely alliance. Two men, from opposing parties, suddenly stepped out of the shadows. They had enquired, they had expressed an interest, and they had responded to Jesus’ teachings. But the potential cost of being known as a follower of Jesus, had kept their faith hidden, a secret to most.

Their conflicting views, their former political differences, are set aside, in their horror at the current events. Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus finally realised that the opinions of those who they had held high and feared losing the respect of, no longer mattered. The actions of the Sanhedrin, chief priests, and authorities, in seeking the death of an innocent man, had diminished them, their approval was no longer of any value.

Now we see Joseph and Nicodemus, who previously had held back from openly supporting Jesus during his public ministry, brought to the fore. They were in a position where they could, possibly, do something for him at his death, when they had been unwilling or unable to do anything during his life.

 A new era was to begin and was being demonstrated at Jesus’ death.

A Sadducee, a wealthy member of the Sanhedrin, one of the elite, with influence and political power working with a Pharisee, a man of the people. One was of the Temple party, focusing solely on the Torah and the Priesthood, the other was of the synagogue party who emphasised their own interpretation of Scripture and oral tradition. One more of a political group and the other a hyper religious group. Suddenly they demonstrated a new unity, working together, bound by a common cause.

“And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” John 12:32

Jesus predicted that His death would break down all barriers. That it would be through a new unity, and love for one another, that the whole world would recognise his disciples.

Joseph of Arimathea, a Sadducee, gained an audience with Pilate and boldly requested Jesus’ body for burial. He was able to do what a fisherman could not, which was to gain access to the highest authority in the land.

A man with political influence and a man who had influence over the people – united together. They were being beautifully woven by God, to set the scene for the evidence of the resurrection.

When Pilate granted Joseph’s request, Nicodemus accompanied him and validated what he was doing – the testimony of two witnesses was required. They publicly took Jesus’ body from the cross, cleaned it, anointed it with oil, and wrapped it in new linen. They then placed his body in a new tomb, which belonged to Joseph and was close by in a garden. Finally brought to a place of peace and tranquillity, they honoured Jesus at his death, with a burial not amongst criminals but with the rich.

For them personally, there was a new beginning, and unknowingly their actions pointed to a new beginning for all.  Jesus had shared with Nicodemus what was to come, and what was now being fulfilled.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

Writers are more familiar than most with the sadness of an ending, even when it is of their own creation. But as we reflect today that this end was in fact a glorious new beginning, we can have hope to seek the fresh and the new in every day. It is there just waiting to be revealed – can you see it?

 

I blog at https://limitless-horizon.com. My inspiration comes from the beauty of the coastline in Wales, where I can look out in faith at the wide-open space of God’s grace. Competing for my time are a part-time civil service job, local church activities, my family and assorted animals – but not necessarily in that order.

 

Comments

  1. Thank you for these encouraging words on a dark day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is good to hear it brought a little encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Growing awareness of Nicodemus this Lent. Thank you for this post. Hope to read more of your work, opening Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know much of this and found it so interesting. Thank you Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth, I love digging into some of the familiar stories - because there is so much unsaid that is lost in time and cultural differences.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this interesting post, Sharon. I didn't know that Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea were from different groups. I did know of two other 'enemies', who became friends because of the events of Easter - Pilate and Herod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is an interesting contrast too. Thank you, will store that one up for another time.

      Delete
    2. Replying to Susan re Pilate and Herod - someone in a sermon we heard this week pointed out something to add to that - Pilate and Caiaphas (the high priest), wiley as each other, had both been in the job a good while for servants of Rome, pleasing the occupiers (Pilate as their employee, Caiaphas as a collaborator making sure of keeping up the Temple activities while remaining the right side of the Emperor). Within 3 years of the Crucifixion of Jesus, both lost their jobs... and of course Herod died, as well...

      Delete
  5. An excellent study. Let’s hope a similar alliance of opposing groups will bring about justice in our world today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited. I can't believe it! LORD JUMA your love spell casting really worked! My ex-husband is back after he left me and the kids, he sent me an SMS last night, wanting us to get back together again...and here we are! Yes, I’m extremely happy that we are living together again.

    My name is TRIANA ANDERSON from CANADA, My husband and I have been married for about 6yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone else. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cared about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested LORD JUMA can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and I did it and he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family and I are living together happily again. LORD JUMA is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. If you have any problem contact him and I guarantee you that he will help you.
    Here’s his contact: Email him at: mercyfullsolutionhome@yahoo.com or mercyfullsolutionhome@gmail.com add him up on whatsApp @ +1 (859)-203-2241 Via is website:: http://mercifulsolutionhome.website2.me/ his blog page https://mercyfullsolutionhome.blogspot.com or https://trianasson.blogspot.com  
    https://www.facebook.com/Urgentlovespellcaster

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment