Did You Know I Met Moses?


I saw a joke on the ACW Facebook where three people were advertising their books, the first two stated proudly they’d thoroughly immersed themselves in their subject, experiencing everything first-hand before writing their books while the third person, who’d written a murder mystery, looked rather bemused. It made me chuckle but it got me thinking.


Is writing more authentic if we, as writers, experience what we’re writing about? Should we stick to only what we know or can we simply learn everything from Google? I mean, it’s so easy now to research anything these days!


Do writers even have a choice? Once writers get a name for themselves they can often be commissioned to write on subjects they know little about which they accept because they need to put bread on the table. I remember a good few years ago listening to a very talented author speaking about their books; meaty, cleverly written, very grown-up, knowledgeable books. This author was passionate about their subject. However, they had also been commissioned to write a series of books for girls about ponies which they were not excited about but needed to earn a living. I wonder if those pony books were actually much more difficult to write because that author had to research and write something they didn’t really care about?


I’m not criticising this author, far from it. In fact, I admire them for taking on something so topsy-turvy to their usual genre and style and, like I said, one needs to pay the bills.


So, do we have to commit murder to write a good crime novel? Do we have to have an affair in Italy before we create an Italian lover? Do we need to time travel back 4000 years to write about the plight of the Israelites?




As a reader, I would say yes. The author is taking me on a journey I haven’t been on before and they’re my guide. They describe Moses as though they’ve met him, the Italian lover as though this was indeed their own love, and the murderer? Personally, I’d rather not go there but yes, the murderer needs to be genuine.


As a writer, I would say, of course not! But enough research, imagination and passion can make our writing brilliant enough to fool our readers into believing we’ve been through it all! Did you know I first met Moses time when he came to our village? Dust clung to his hair and robes, grime smeared his dark weathered skin but his eyes shone like two vibrant stars…  



Comments

  1. I really hope we don’t have to commit murder to write a good crime novel or I’m in serious trouble. Thanks for this; a great start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I hope not! How many murders would that be for you so far, Wendy??

      Delete
  2. I don't think we have to know everything about the world we're writing about. That's probably impossible. But I do think we have to care enough about it to find out from someone who does! I guess that's the value of expert beta-readers who can pull us up on things that don't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true and that's also for things one might not think is important. I remember using the name Botley Town in my book and the Beta reader came up with so many reasons why my fictional town couldn't be called Botley. Apparently she'd been to Botley and my Botley was nothing like her Botley! I thought it was just a good name but there's obviously a lot of passion around Botley!! Xx

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with this, Nikki! As a freelancer, I have to become an expert very quickly on a bewildering range of subjects so that I can do my job. But fiction - well, that's a different matter. Research is key and maybe it's more about the emotions and motivations around the action (murder, affairs, whatever) than it is about experiencing that thing ourselves. I hope so, as otherwise, Wendy, who is a delightful and friendly person, would be someone I'd be very concerned about having a coffee with. "More sugar, Ruth?" as she pours a mysterious white powder over my cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your ending, Nikki. What a wonderful way of describing Moses!

    Yes, I really am hoping, as are all the elderly people in my local vicinity, that I won't have to become an expert on gruesome ways of dispatching them, in order to make Mother's murders all the more convincing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm worried now. Your descriptions are very convincing!!!

      Delete
  5. Where would "having to know" leave fantasy and sci-fi writers?! Hmm... I've written from the viewpoint of a mother dragon - as you do. Have never met one. Never want to meet one. Story stands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point in terms of dragons etc. I write fantasy and I guess it's around the moral dilemmas and experiences I need to use either my own experience or need to draw upon it from another source.

      Delete
  6. Even more difficult for writers of historical fiction. We have not only to visit locations but imagine how they were in the particular period we’re writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really interesting subject for your MTW post, Nikki. Like others have said, I don't think we have to have lived something to make it come across in an authentic way. However, I think if we have, it makes it easier to write about in that way. As setting is important to me, I often set my stories in places I have been to. It just makes it easier to 'see' my characters there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really interesting. The mind is so powerful that it can create by imagination things never experienced but I do agree with you that writing is more authentic and passionate if we ourselves have truly experienced what we write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As said, I don't think it either possible or desirable to have experienced everything we write about, but observation skills and imagination, along with research and interest would have to fill in for the experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment