The Elusive One Per Cent

 

As Thomas Edison famously almost said, Writing is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. If that’s so, then why is it that finding inspiration often feels like the hardest part of any writing project? Who knew a blank page could be so intimidating? And even writing on a given theme still requires the inspiration of a new angle or a hook to draw the reader in.

 

If you’re one of those annoying fortunate people who never struggle with inspiration, please feel free to ignore the rest of this post and return to your current masterpiece (although if you’re willing to spare a couple of minutes to post your tips in the comments, that would be greatly appreciated).

 

For the rest of us mere mortals, here are a few suggestions on finding that elusive inspiration:

 

Read, read and read some more. Immersing yourself in other people’s words can kick-start your own creative juices.

 

Link-up with other writers. Admittedly, this has been harder to manage in Covid times, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. Join a writing group, attend a writers’ event, engage with social media.

 

‘Interview’ your characters or an imaginary reader
. What conflicts are they wrestling with? What are their aspirations? What would your intended audience like to know more about? Top tip: if you’re doing this in a public place, it may be best to keep the conversation in your head…

 

Make use of competition prompts or writing exercises to generate new ideas. Working on a seemingly random idea might lead to something bigger – and even if it doesn’t, it’s a great way to develop your writing skills.

 

Do something different. Yes, really! Go for a run walk, potter in the garden, listen to some music. Sometimes inspiration just needs a bit of time to bubble away in the background. Think of it as a timid hedgehog – it’ll only venture out into the open when it thinks you’re not looking.

 

What about you? Is inspiration something that comes easily – and if not, where do you find it?



Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and is married with three grown-up children. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona also writes regularly for Together magazine.

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. Great post! Love the idea of interviewing your characters. I think that when inspiration is there it's all giddy and exciting but when it runs out it's so intimidating and scary. Good tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I had endless conversations with my main character on my commute to work when I was writing my "Diary" - not sure what other road-users thought!

      Delete
  2. This is great, Fiona! This bit made me LOL - 'If you’re one of those annoying fortunate people...' and this usually works for me - 'Yes, really! Go for a run walk...' Thank you for this helpful list of suggestions. (the crossings out didn't copy and paste!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't struggle with getting the initial ideas for stories - stories are everywhere after all - and I usually have more ideas for stories than I can work on at one time. It's the nitty gritty of the ideas for details that is soooo hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point - sometimes I start something based on a flash of inspiration, but then it all fizzles out after a few paragraphs.

      Delete
  4. You haven't added 'Forget it and watch The Antiques Roadshow (again)' but I'm sure you meant to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another excellent tip to add to the list! - although personally, I prefer "Homes Under the Hammer"!

      Delete
  5. Give up halfway through a really difficult assignment and watch The Crown while eating chocolate. I did that yesterday. Then I went and hung the washing out and, as per your last tip, Fiona, it worked. Something got written. Not brilliant, but hopefully good enough. It's fabulous when you're inspired, but when everything is dry as dust, not so much. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have read my mind! (Scary thought.) The Crown and chocolate sounds like an excellent strategy.

      Delete
    2. Or just write anyway, even if it seems like sheer drivel! Sometimes I find a good idea comes after I start writing.
      Now if anyone has any advice on where to find discipline...

      Delete
    3. I think that's good advice - I sometimes set a timer for 30 minutes to try get myself going.

      Delete
  6. I find this A to Z challenge has really got me writing again. I stopped because I couldn't think of anything to say. I have a finished novel, but now I am procrastinating about trying to self publish. Sign of lack of confidence I fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joining in with a challenge is a good incentive - helps one be disciplined, too. Hope you pluck up the courage to publish your novel!

      Delete

Post a Comment