What can you hang on a line?

A challenge for you, writers.

Take the idea of 'a line' and riff on it, collecting images and impressions that belong or appear along that line. Here are some options. I'm sure you can think of others. 

A railway line. 

A line of script

The front line

A telephone line 

A bee line

A picket line

A blood line

A red line

A production line

A double yellow line

A line in the sand

A firing line

The line of duty

A chorus line 


Form your ideas together and see what happens. Perhaps it will prompt you to write a longer piece.

I wrote about a washing line. In the end, I think I was telling a story about a family, but I didn't realise it at the time. 





Washing line 

White sheets, flirting with the whip

of an autumn breeze. 

A yellow dress, its skirts wide, 

reaches up then settles, 

as though recalling the dance.

Three black socks, and we all know why.

A child's apron, wrong without

flour accidents and chocolate smears. 

Small tartan pyjamas, mischievous 

at play in the November air. 

Washcloths, two frayed, one new - 

squares pegged close like three quiet windows

until a quick gust makes them unruly curtains.

A man's black shirt, sober against the rest,

like a warning or rebuke. 


Please do share your writing in the comments. I'd love to see people's different 'takes' on this exercise! 




Fran is a writer and English teacher from Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, in England. Her latest book was published by SPCK in May and is a funny teacher-memoir about all kinds of misbehaviour, a subject with which she is familiar. It's called 'Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?' You can find out more about Fran and her work by visiting her website

Comments

  1. From images yesterday as non essential shops reopened, A Haiku:

    Two metres apart
    In line anticipating
    Primark reopens

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! My favourite line is the one about the squares like quiet windows. Lovely. Wish I'd thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure that line worked so I'm glad it worked for you!

      Delete
  3. A chilly night in the community hall,
    Valiant ladies, headscarves knotted, handbags at dawn.
    "We've got a lot of work to do". It's Beryl, Chair and general All Round Good Egg.
    "Ready for your big number, Joyce?"

    Sighs all round. Why did she get the part?
    Look at those legs. We'll be a laughing stock.
    But off she goes. Doughty. Sturdy.
    Calves pasty white under the lights.

    "Five six seven eight!"

    "Come on, babe, why don't we paint the town?
    And all that jazz
    I'm gonna rouge my knees and roll my stockings down
    And all that jazz."

    More mutterings. Don't roll them down. Please.
    And the less said about her knees the better.
    Shuffling and creaking as the ladies get into formation.
    A chorus line. Only three more rehearsals to go.

    "Five six seven eight ...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, this is fantastic! Wow! So much life and humour and feeling. So, you're a poet as well as everything else. I can't keep up!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fran! I loved your poem and your prompt. No idea where Joyce and her pasty legs came from!

      Delete
  4. Brilliant, I love it. What a fantastic exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. It appeals to me as a good way to inspire a longer piece of writing. The poem is brilliant. It conveys so much about the family. My favourite is the yellow dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sheila. I think I like the mischievous pyjamas best!

      Delete
  6. Just catching up. Fantastic as always - and so useful. Must have a go. Thanks again Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Eileen. I hope you enjoy having a crack at it!

      Delete

Post a Comment