Bah humbug!


One of the traditions we have in our house is watching the Muppet Christmas carol on Christmas Eve. I adore the muppets and this film is a real delight. From Michael Caine's pitch perfect performance to the memorable songs and the singing vegetables, it's an absolute joy.  

In December 2010, I decided to read the book. Partly so I could enjoy the original story but also so I could say that I'd read a work by Charles Dickens.

I'm glad I did as it's an absolute delight. Reading it again as I write this post, I come across wonderful lines such as...  

'Scrooge! A squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner!' and 'Even the blind men's dogs appeared to know him; and when they saw him coming on, would tug their owners into doorways and up courts;

And who knows what tiny seeds of faith could be sown by a viewer hearing Tiny Tim's hope that by seeing him on Christmas Day, people may remember who made lame beggars walk, and blind men see

But it's the ending that speaks to me the most. The sheer joy Scrooge shares of having this second chance. Realising that he hasn't died after all. Reading it for the first time, I could only think of how, in a small way, it mirrored how delighted I felt when I came to faith. I didn't leap around the room and make a Laocoön of myself - what a wonderful word - but instead I felt this immense glow, like after drinking the most scrumptious hot chocolate, knowing that I was loved by Jesus. 

Of course there is another well known phrase that The Christmas Carol, or rather Scrooge is known for, and that is the deliciously mean expression Bah! Humbug! which is also how our miniature Schnauzer, Charlie, chooses to express his displeasure with a few other dogs. Both of his Hoo-parents love books so of course he can't just bark! 

Do you have a favourite book by Dickens? Or a classic Christmas story that you love to return to each year? Let me know in the comments or on Facebook.

Christmas will be rather different for us all this year. How ever you celebrate it, I hope you have much to be thankful for and that you'll know the truth of these words uttered by Tiny Tim, 'God Bless us, Every One!'



Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on Twitter here. 



Comments

  1. Great post Martin - so much to enjoy and learn from the classics. We listened to an audio version of Christmas Carol in the car and the time sped by (although the American accent of the author was a bit disconcerting at times for Victorian England).
    My favourite Dickens is A Tale of Two Cities. I love the characters, the poetry and depth of the opening lines, the drama of the ending, a story of redemption (doesn't Dickens like those?) as well as hope and self sacrifice. But also it lacks the'padding' that I sometimes think he used to eke out some stories I presume because of the episodic way they were published.
    Now I'm thinking about my favourite Christmas stories... Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Liz. I can imagine an American accent been irritating whilst listening to this classic on an audio book. I heard part of 'A Tale of Two Cities' on R4 once. It was a modern version set in London and Aleppo. Really engaging.

      Delete
  2. A wonderful post, Martin! I love the Muppet Christmas Carol too - we all do and I'm going to take up your idea and suggest we all watch it on Christmas Eve. Thanks for that! I also love rereading old favourites at Christmas - my Rosamunde Pilcher books of short stories, one or two of which are about Christmas, a wonderful book put together by Emma Thompson and Greg Wise called Last Christmas (with different people's memories of Christmases) and a book of short stories by Rachel Joyce (of Harold Fry fame) called A Snow Garden. Your post has put me in the mood to reread some of these. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Deborah, that's very kind. As Joanna points out later, it cries out to be watched on Christmas Eve because of that lovely song. I'm a big fan of Rachel Joyce so I'll have to check out 'A Snow Garden' and 'Last Christmas' sounds good too. Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. I've taught A Christmas Carol several times to GCSE students - it's on the syllabus (and a teacher favourite, it being so short ....). I'm always struck by how funny it is although this is more in the first half than the second as the mood darkens. I love Dickens' sense of humour. I think my favourite moment is when Scrooge doesn't believe in Marley's Ghost when it appears so Marley whips the rag off that is holding his jaw together and his chin falls to his chest. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine teachers having a lot of fun with this, if it's taught well. I'd have liked to have been in your class. It's funny but I've never noticed that line before. I'll have to look out for it. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. My brother also insets that the only time to watch this movie is on Christmas Eve - because of the "One more sleep till Christmas" song.
    Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brother is quite right, it's the perfect day to watch this film! The best song in the film in the film too. Thank you, Joanne :)

      Delete
  5. I really love Dickens - but weirdly, not "A Tale of Two Cities." When I was doing my Dickens unit during my degree, we discovered that all the Dickens nerds in the class (of whom I was most certainly one) loathed ATOTC but loved the others, the ATOTC fans didn't like the rest of his oeuvre! Very strange. I don't think I've got a Christmas film or book, but maybe this is the year to start. Agree with Fran. A Christmas Carol has some cracking lines in it. Also some delightfully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, I should certainly check out more of his novels. Though I also believe the man himself was quite some character, especially how he treat his wife.

      Delete
    2. An utter swine. I wrote a poem about his wife, once. Claire Tomalin's "The Invisible Woman" is an excellent, well-researched read, as is "Katey" by Lucinda Hawksley (great great grand daughter I think).

      Delete
  6. Love this blogpost! We watched A Christmas Carol recently and we’re surprised at how much we enjoyed it. Maturity is gaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen! It gets better with repeated viewing. An absolute classic in my eyes.

      Delete
  7. Great post, Martin! My son is doing A Christmas Carol at school at the moment, so we're all feeling quite Christmassy! I've also been watching Bleak House on BBC iPlayer! I fully recommend it! My favourite Christmas read? Definitely The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. For many years as a child until well into my teens I would read all seven CSLewis books at Christmas time. It became a tradition. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment