Cuddly Hug Letters by Nikki E Salt





Every month, just before I write my ACW blog post, I pray for inspiration. Not because I'm super holy (far from it!) but because the date springs upon me like a thief in the night! My first reaction is 'Oh bum, it's that time again!' (By the way, according to my son, God doesn't mind the word 'bum') and I turn to the Almighty and ask Him if there is anything particular He'd like me to write. This morning the idea just popped into my head: I would write about handwritten letters.

I mull this over as I orchestrate the brush-your-teeth-and-get-ready-for-school symphony. It was during the Weetabix movement when my brain tuned into the background noise of the radio and I heard the words 'writing letters'. I only caught the end of the interview with Matthew Mills eloquently waxing lyrical about how handwritten letters are particularly important during this Covid season. the words I registered were as follows: "Receiving a handwritten letter at this time is like receiving a handshake." 


Somewhat justified in my selection of topic, I decided to share these wise words but with the addition of my own two-penny-worth. Would I liken the receipt of a handwritten letter to a mere handshake? Oh, no! I would liken it to a full-on, sincere, cuddly hug. Putting a pen to paper means so much more than a text or even an email. Doesn't a handwritten note give you a warm, fuzzy feeling? 

The writer has taken the time to select notepaper, pick up a pen, and write a personal message just for me! No copying and pasting an email that has been amended for each person, not one of those round-robin letters that creates a feeling of inferiority, and certainly not a paltry "Happy Christmas love Tom, Dick and Harry!" I mean whole, lovingly-put-together sentences, complete with punctuation and perhaps a few kisses at the end. 

Yes, it takes time that most of us haven't got and one can never find a pen easily these days but I challenge you as I challenge myself, shall we handcraft a few lines for a loved one, a friend or even a semi-stranger, this Christmas? Let's give some unsuspecting person a handcrafted written, cuddly hug.



Comments

  1. I love that analogy, Nikki. Thank you. I also like your description of your morning which made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Wendy! That's a typical morning in my house!

      Delete
  2. I like the fact that you said "bum." Always a great start to a blog. Fresh from my own icy school run x 2 this was a lovely blog to read. And yes, a handwritten missive is always delightful. Good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree! Do you know about this campaign for handwritten letters? There's a website - it costs £5 to join and the woman who began it (Dinah) has got attention from all kinds of big names. I joined yesterday. Funny coincidence, reading your blog today! http://thehandwrittenletterappreciationsociety.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so strange! I'll check out the website! Thanks, Fran.

      Delete
  4. I love this ! Handwritten letters are so special these days. I used to do it all the time. And I'm sure many of us can say the same. I will put into practice your suggestion at the first opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, I love receiving handwritten letters too. It becoming a bit of a dying art. I still have a few friends that write by hand. I also have drawers full of letters from my late grandma. So precious to see her handwriting.

      Delete
  5. Such a great post and a good reminder to take the time to write proper letters from time to time. Currently doing Christmas cards with a printed round-robin (a sad necessity in view of crazy Decembers in the manse!) and feeling very guilty for all the handwritten messages I'm NOT writing! Perhaps I could assuage my guilt by sending one hand written letter - hug to one person this Christmas! Thanks Nikki. Thought provoking, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debbie, this isn't meant to make you feel guilty! And round robins are fine!!! Xxx

      Delete
  6. Awww, this was lovely, and yes, what your son said gave me a great big smile! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. This is the time of year that I do write to everyone in my address book that I shall not see over December. It takes a while to do it and to send a personal message to each person and to fully remember myself to them and them to me... I was happy to put 45 envelopes in the post box a week ago and to pray that each of those messages and blessings is received and touches the spot for which it was intended. I only do it at Christmas, but every year. (I still have a box of letters I have received over my life too - a box of treasure spanning nearly 50 years of friendships! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment