Speed Writing Time Again? by SC Skillman

The first time I ever heard of Nanowrimo I was completely baffled.


 

This weird name meant National Novel Writing Month.  How on earth could anybody possibly write a novel in less than a month? Years ago, I heard that Barbara Cartland used to produce novels in that kind of time-frame - but that, I later learned, was because she dictated them to a secretary whilst engulfed in pink feather boas and pink satin, lounging on a pink velvet chaise longue, sipping pink gin (or rose wine, or whatever tipple she liked to accompany her latest romantic literary outpouring).

Later, I did gain some insight into this curious phenomenon called Nanowrimo. Then, finally, I had a go myself.

I completed the first draft of my novel Director's Cut (as yet unpublished) and also drafted the sequel to that, Standing Ovation, during a later Nanowrimo. I may even complete it during this year's Nanowrimo challenge

nanowrimo-2016-participantHere is an article I wrote when I was 3 weeks into the 2011 challenge, when I wrote the first draft of my second novel A Passionate Spirit. I hope some of you who are setting out on this challenge today will find it a source of inspiration.

The task is: write a novel of at least 50,000 words in a month; and by the word “novel” we must mean, of course, “the first draft of a novel.”

Here are three tips to have that completed first draft of a novel in a month:

1) Do your preparation work before the month begins. Ideas will have been hatching in your mind for the last couple of years, perhaps; and now you have a ground plan. You have created a one-sentence storyline, and expanded it to a blurb and a synopsis and perhaps you have drawn up a list of scenes for your novel. Not everybody needs to have done this before they begin writing the novel. Some like to plunge into the writing with two or three characters and a conflict in mind, and let the story emerge. But I had already been thinking about my characters for a year or so before beginning my novel. And I know from experience what it’s like to allow your characters to take over. Characters will do that anyway, even if you have a plan. But I now believe having a plan is a very good way to start, even if the plan is radically changed by the time you’ve finished your first draft.

2) Begin writing, and don’t go back to edit. Control your desire to look over previous chapters and assess or improve them. This needs great discipline. Just keep writing even if you suspect what you are writing is rubbish, because you are going to go back over your manuscript anyway after the month is up and use it as the basis for your second draft.

3) Don’t fall into the trap of slacking or subsiding or falling away because your novel feels as if it’s sinking in the middle. Introduce something crazy or bizarre that occurs to you; just follow that instinct, introduce it into your plot, set your characters the task of dealing with it and keep on writing.

Those who find their minds go blank at the prospect of producing a full-length work of the imagination should remember this one thing: creating a first draft of fiction requires only motivation and courage. It requires you to forget everything negative you ever believed of yourself, and to believe in whatever ideas come to you, believe in them enough to incorporate them in your first draft. When you read your manuscript through in a month’s time, you may be amazed at what you came up with apparently “out of nowhere.”

(n.b. an earlier version of this article provided the basis for a chapter of my book: Perilous Path: a writer’s journey)


SC Skillman writes psychological,paranormal,and mystery fiction and non-fiction.

Her new book Paranormal Warwickshire is published by Amberley Publishing on 15th November 2020 and is widely available online and through all good bookshops.

Comments

  1. Katherine Blessan4 November 2020 at 11:06

    Thanks Sheila, I needed your spurring on at this time as I'm just starting out on Nanowrimo myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did do NaNoWriMo once and it was so helpful. I got most of a novel written (as you say, in first draft form!) I did wonder about it this year but I get arthritis in my knuckles now if I do that much typing so quickly so I don't think I could keep up the pace. Of course, if I'd been Barbara Cartland with her boas and her gin, as you amusingly describe, the knuckles could go hang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never done NaNoWriMo and I don't know if I ever will. But never say never. If I did do it, I would need to buy myself a boa for sure (although not pink - teal would be better), rent a chaise longue and sip sherry. I hope that this would be enough to open the floodgates. Maybe next year. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read. I’m really enjoying doing NaNo at the mo. But then it is only day 4 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all. I signed up to nanowrimo this year and so far I've clocked up 300 words! Just give me that secretary, that chaise longue, that boa and the pink gin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. I have my pink boa at the ready and a crystal port glass at hand ready to be topped up at will

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment