Celebrating the Scrumdiddlyumptious Roald Dahl

Picture from the Evening Standard

 Wow! My first ACW blogging birthday! It's not always been easy knowing what to write about, but boy has it been fun! Updating fairy tales, long sentences, finding light in horror and the joy of words that dance on your tongue are just a few of the topics that I've covered over these past 12 months.  

My first post focussed on the classic children's author and illustrator  Beatrix Potter, so one year on, I've chosen another children's author, and one of my all time favourite writers - Roald Dahl. 

In my eyes, he's an absolute genius who captures our hearts and imaginations with his characters. From Mathilda to Charlie and the Chocolate factory, The BFG to Fantastic Mr Fox, it's hard to choose my favourite but I think I'd have to go for Danny, The Champion of the World. I love the relationship that Danny has with his father and the gentleness of the book. 

Yet Dahl also excels in the macabre. A woman who murders her husband with a leg of lamb and then roasts it, to a pig who eats it's farmer - delicious! 

Knowing this makes me feel a little better, as over the month of October, my writing took a darker tone. As regular readers know, I frequently write very short stories on Twitter, and in the month of October there was the option of an additional prompt word from a host called vss murder. 

Now at that very word, some of you may be raising an eyebrow. 'Murder? It's not really going to bring much light or hope is it?'

No, it's not, but what's odd is that I wrote some of my best very short stories with my nasty 93 old protagonist. I wanted to have some limits, so I went as OTT and non-realistic as I could. She didn't even have a name,  she was just known as 'Mother' and was an absolute fiend when it came to thinking up ways of killing her fellow care home residents. 

I was honestly amazed at the ideas that my imagination came up with. It's as if there's a little person in my head who's given two words, and then goes and opens various drawers and cupboards to find those special ingredients that I need for my story. 

When it comes to ideas for thinking of a story, Roald gives a wonderful example in The Roald Dahl Treasury. He tells of how most of his stories 'begin with a gem of an idea' but he once had no idea whatsoever, just three characters - a Giraffe, a Pelican and a Monkey. That was all, and for 'seven months, he wrote and discarded, wrote and discarded' till he came up with The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me. 

The Roald Dahl Treasury really is a book of delights, which you can just open up any page and be lost in wonder for ages. Having said that, I've discovered a story of Roald's that I haven't read before, and I believe could be a good sequel to this post. The Minpins. It has a 'a forest of sin, the Devil and magic. What could be better for an ACW blog post? 

I'd love to hear which is your favourite Roald Dahl story! Let me know in the comments or on Facebook. 

And if I've intrigued you about 'Mother and her murderous antics' then you can read more on Twitter, but I must warn you, they are very dark.... 


Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on 
Twitter here. 



 


Comments

  1. Happy Blogger Birthday! It's great to have your posts and I've (evidently) been enjoying them for a whole year!! Yes, I too, am a fan of Dahl (Roald not the spicy variety - actually, come to think of it, I love all dahls) and it's incredibly difficult to pick out one favourite book. Danny, Champion of the World is a close one but I also love reading BFG aloud. It's like embracing a whole new language: "The matter with human beans...is that they is absolutely refusing to believe anything unless they is actually seeing it right in front of their own schnozzles." (quote from BFG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Nikki, that's very kind of you :) I love that quote you shared because it seems to me like a perfect example of faith.

      Delete
  2. I love the story 'Esiotrot' and there's a super film version too. I remember watching those 'Tales of the Unexpected' when I was younger (teenager?) and the way he introduced them was part of the whole thrill, in that darkened library with his gloomy face close-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read the whole story, though Eva and I watched the film version a couple of Christmases ago. Absolutely loved it! Jacobi and Dench were marvellous. I remember the theme tune to 'Tales of the Unexpected' but I don't think I've ever seen an episode. I'll have to look them up on YouTube.

      Delete
  3. Happy first blogging birthday, fellow newbie! I forgot all about mine. For me, it's a memory of having "James and the Giant Peach" read aloud to us by Miss Escott in Class 6 at primary school. I was gripped. If I had a favourite, it would be one of his dark tales for adults, not sure which one. I shall have to re-read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fascinating post, Martin. I haven't read all the Roald Dahl books, but apart from the Willie Wonka ones, which are very famous, The BFG and Matilda are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. We love Matilda in our house, and have watched the film many times. Fantastic casting.

      Delete
  5. I concur that Danny Champion of the World is a classic. I read it once as a child and then again a couple of years ago to my son, after you gave the book to us as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Martin. Danny's my favourite too - I once read it to a class who got so engrossed in it that the school council rep wanted to ask for pheasant for Christmas dinner. Other children pointed out this was a wish unlikely to be granted but I encouraged the child to go for it. We didn't get it but Maple Class will forever be known as the class which asked for pheasant at Christmas. Thank you for the happy memory. And yes, Dahl's ability to show both darkness and light is no doubt what endears him to children and adults alike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant story, Rebecca! A wonderful memory that you helped to create for those children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, Martin and a very Happy Birthday to you! I think my favourite is James and the Giant Peach too. I loved reading it aloud to children and one of my favourite parts was just the bit where they lie on the ground and talk about what they can see in the clouds - animals, people etc. I think it was that book? I remember how pleased I was when I first read that. I thought I was the only one who did it! Great piece. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Deborah, that's very kind 😊 For me, it's the very start of James and the Giant Peach that I love. Orphaned because of an escaped rhino, and those hideous Aunts. Wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment