BUSY DOING NOTHING by Liz Manning

 

Since my last episode of depression, I’ve developed the habit of spending a few minutes first thing in my garden. I might wander round and check out the plants growing there. I might watch birds or listen for their song. But mostly I just sit, absorbing the atmosphere, letting my mind and soul soak quietly.

If I miss this habit for a few days, I notice a difference: an increased tendency to stress and anxiety, poorer decision making, less concentration, and more fatigue. Go back to it and I’m restored, reset. It’s been a Godsend in the pressure and constant change of 2020.

In Keren Dibbens Wyatt’s latest book, Recital of Love, stillness is described as ‘a place of discovery…It enables you to notice. There is glory and goodness all around.’

That’s certainly what I’ve found in those morning minutes. I’ve examined the distinct colours of a wood pigeon. I’ve watched the wind wag a long leaf like an angry finger and then twirl it like an orchestral conductor. A late rose carried memories of my mum on its delicate scent.

Not everyone finds it easy to stop and just be. It takes practise and a relaxed discipline to let go of tasks and worries in order to be still. It’s something active not passive.

It reminds me of the song ‘Busy Doing Nothing’. Check out the lyrics.  

On a day off when my husband working, he came down for a coffee and asked if I was having a nice morning doing nothing.

“But I haven’t been doing nothing.” I replied. “I’ve been thinking.”

To be honest, my mind had wandered around several topics and drifted without purpose down several paths of ideas. But letting my thoughts brew in this way felt as much a part of the creative process as physically writing something.

I wonder how much time we allow ourselves to do this as writers and not feel guilty?

And does God set a precedent in this?

I think yes. He rested on the seventh day and maybe He spent that time remembering the fun of creation, contemplating its glory, and letting His thoughts wander over how His world would develop. Not only that but after each bout of creativity, He must have stopped to gaze at the newness in order to pronounce it good.

And what about Jesus?

We know that He took time to get away from the crowds and His disciples to quietly be with His Father. And then there’s those moments when He doodles in the dust, mulling over His answer perhaps, when asked to pass judgement over the woman caught in adultery.  

And how about you?

Do you allow yourself mulling time, space for ideas to quietly brew at the back of your mind?  Do you block out part of your day or week to quietly observe and absorb what’s around you? And do you remember this is all writing?


Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adult sons. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/


Comments

  1. This is a lovely post about an essential practice, Liz - not just for writers but for everyone. Thank you for sharing. May your times of creative daydreaming and aimless wandering continue to keep you well and empower your days. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard, doing nothing. The truth is, I don't we ever really do - as you say, we're thinking, processing, planning and that's vital for a writer. I'm trying hard to do more of this. Today I sat down and read a book, a novel, my first for a while and it felt great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's easier for some (me) and harder for others (my husband - who has been ribbing me constantly since reading this post!). Maybe it's to do with personality types or certainly how we value ourselves and our time.
      But I think creative ideas are like an old fashioned pot of tea: we could agitate them and work at them or we could let them stand and brew for a while until they are ready to pour.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely. I spend so much time busy doing... something, but I'm not sure what! Every morning I do a practice of Morning Pages - where I empty my mind onto paper - 3 whole A4 sheets of it. This frees me up to pray, write and 'do' all the other things on my lists. Another thing came to mind - a short scripture I am learning - "The Lord will fight FOR you, you need only BE STILL" (Exodus 14:14)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Dawn - I think Morning Pages sound similar to what I recommend to my patients to aid sleep. But that's a great idea for the start of the day to clear the clutter and help with perspective and priorities.
      And yes, that scripture - wonderful! Our part and His.
      Thank you

      Delete

Post a Comment