Pointing your lap in the right direction! by Jane Walters

I want to talk about opportunity this month, since it applies to every aspect of writing, from getting the chance to do any, to what to do with it when you’ve managed it. I want to share a little from my own experience of how opportunities can be created. Of course, some invitations and openings do sometimes land in your lap from nowhere but, the vast majority of the time, you have to at least have your lap pointing in the right direction. It’s not a pretty picture, but you get the idea.

My biggest break in writing came almost out of the blue. I was the “plus one” at a Christmas meal, not really knowing anyone but thrilled at the simple chance to dress up and leave the house. I enjoyed the convivial atmosphere and told anyone with the misfortune of coming near me the tale of how I’d just been on a writing retreat and how it had changed my life. Simple party banter. However, someone overheard me that night and, within eight weeks, I had secured a regular monthly slot on our local BBC radio station. All because I said yes to going to a “do.”

My new-found love of radio led me to make regular appearances on Premier Radio. How? Like this: I sent a tweet to them saying, almost literally, “Hello. I do some stuff on BBC Radio Norfolk, can I do some for you?” To my surprise – and possibly theirs – they replied almost straightaway. Affirmatively. I didn’t even know how Twitter worked.

When my book was published in 2018, I was doing the round of interviews, one of which was at UCB. After we’d done the recording, I was about to be shown out when, with a thumping heart, I asked if I could write anything for them. Within an hour, I was in a meeting with the station producer who signed me up for their hourly God Spots, even suggesting a set of topics.

Before you respond with, “well, it’s alright for you, but…” I want to interrupt with the fact that I was excruciatingly shy as a child – terrified of an audience, of standing out in any way. As an adult I still get flutters. But here’s the thing: we’ve only got one life. If, like me, you want to spend that life being a writer, it may be time to take some risks. Look for opportunities, constantly. Where there don’t seem to be any, think how you can create them. See who you can hook up with – ACW is a great starting point! For example, I got an agent because a friend in ACW introduced me to her.

So, here’s the recommendation:

Shoulders back.

Deep breath.

Ask for what you want.

Say yes to what is offered.

Let the adventure begin!



Jane Walters is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (Jane Clamp, SPCK). She writes short reflections for radio, Bible commentaries for BRF and is a signed novelist at Intersaga Literary Agency. In non-pandemic seasons, she leads writing retreats for aspiring writers.


 

Comments

  1. Brilliant advice, Jane. You absolutely do need to point your lap in the right direction and have confidence in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...which you have in spades and never fail to share it. God bless you xx

      Delete
  2. I heard this described the other day as 'stick your elbows out and make space for yourself.' I think it's good advice but it goes against the grain, doesn't it, to muscle in there and say, 'Hey, why shouldn't I do this? If not me, someone else will get the slot. They can only say no.' But, boy, it takes boldness, as you so eloquently describe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it took boldness, yes, but actually what is there to lose? The answer "no" isn't the end of the world and it's great to have tried. I've found, though, that the answer is "yes" surprisingly often...

      Delete
  3. Timely words, Jane. And why ever not? I am going to take your advice, even though (and don't tell anyone) I am clad in my pjs, dressing gown and a pair of gold sparkly flip flops, having just done 2 school runs. We do need to be bold, but it's hard. Shoulders back - I'll let you know how I get on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Positive as ever, Ruth, hurrah! Do let me know the results, yes!

      Delete
  4. The confidence has to be, that your work is worth it. Not you: your work! And, your presentation of self.
    A couple of points (if we know, we can do it, if we don't know we may fail):
    I did a couple of radio things on Oxfordshire Radio. The first was with an experienced friend - she appears regularly on Radio Gloucester., talking about books & reading. I followed her lead, I H ad read a few times elsewhere, and it went well. The second came from this: it was for a Christmas slot, and there were 4 of us. Sadly it failed horribly - 2 of the readers had pieces far too long and not practised enough. If we are to put ourselves forward, we need that professional touch: practice, practice, practice - timing yourself. I think also the staff at the station were at fault - they should have both given specific time/length of readings, and they should have specified what kind of reading - these weren't either upbeat or comic - what they got was serious, and it didn't work. We need to ask if they don't say. On local radio you can find yourself working for an intern or inexperienced person, they may not yet know what advice/direction .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very cringe-worthy, Clare! When things have gone not-so-well on radio, I just tell myself there was probably only an old couple and their dog listening anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, Jane, and something we all need to be bolder about. Thanks for the encouragement x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your honesty and humility, Jane. You're fab. I often hear you on UCB and think, Oh that's my friend Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very helpful and timely, Jane. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment