Dragon Eggs and Goblin Dust by Nikki Salt




What inspired you to write when you were a child? Has it changed much today? Was it a particular type of music, film or book that sparked your imagination? Or perhaps a special place; tucked behind the rhododendrons or hidden in the crook of an old oak tree? When I was a child, I'd curl up into the dog basket (with the dog) and lose myself in Noel Streatfeild, Enid Blyton, Susan Coolidge, KM Peyton, to name just a few, and pretend to be an author (and sometimes a poet) and fill exercise book after exercise book. 

As most of you know, I teach a bunch of ten-year-olds and I'm always looking for ways to encourage those small, developing brains to reach a little further into their imaginations and pull out dazzling ideas. Many in the class are competent readers and writers, falling into the magical chasms of other-worlds and other-shoes, temporarily forgetting their own lives and living another, growing their imaginations, creativeness and originality like artistic beansprouts. But, sitting among these flowering beanstalks are my little anemones that hide in the shade and are in danger of suffocating. I decided these six little plants needed a little goblin dust and some dragon eggs.

I take them out of the noisy, over-heated classroom and into the woods where we 'stumble' upon a nest of colourful eggs. The children are excited, picking them up, feeling them, marvelling at the bright colours, and seeing their own names printed on the back. These eggs become the stimulus for all sorts of tales from lonely dragons leaving the eggs behind before dying painful deaths to witches who have stolen and hidden the eggs to use for their spells. One child says her precious egg will hatch out out an enormous ladybird, another thinks hers contain fairy-twins, one boy thinks his eggs will hatch out an alien who looks like a green tomato. No account is wrong, nothing is pronounced silly, no one is rejected, everyone has their own story to tell.

We take the eggs back into the classroom and collect words. Single adjectives are listed which are turned into simple phrases, similes appear, and even the odd metaphor. With a little praise and encouragement, confidence grows and the children blossom into writers.



Don't you think it's the same with adult writers? At times, we doubt our ability, we make the mistake of comparing ourselves with others, believing our characters are inferior, our plots weak. We can be choked by pressures and stifled by responsibilities. But, just like those little anemones hidden in the shade of life, sometimes, all we need is a little goblin dust and some dragon eggs. 






Comments

  1. Awwww what a wonderful post Nikki. I can just imagine you sparking wonder into these little people ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As a fellow teacher, you know how rewarding it can be!

      Delete
  2. This is inspiring. One of the best posts I’ve read on nurturing children’s love of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. That means a lot coming from you. xxx

      Delete
  3. Wow. How fortunate those little people are to have you in their lives, Nikki. I absolutely loved this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feeling's mutual, Ruth. I'm so fortunate to have them in mine!!

      Delete
  4. I wish I'd had you as my primary school teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I wish I'd had you as my pupil! I could boast to all my friends about you!!!

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant lesson! Well done Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this post, Nikki, but even more I like what you did for those 'anemones'. I wonder if you could give me some advice. I live in a little village in Switzerland and have started reading English books out loud for children who are interested in hearing more of the spoken language. This year most are from the 3rd class (9-year-olds here), who have just started learning English as their second language. I've tried Haffertee – too difficult. I've tried the Ladybird Key Words books – boring. Enid Blyton tends to be too dated. Some just about cope with Paddington Bear. Do you know of any books with something of an exciting storyline but VERY SIMPLE language: no idioms, slang etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greyowl, Im so glad you're reading lots aloud. This is often an underrated practice. I still read to my twelve year old son who is more than capable of reading to himself!

      I'm a firm believer in picture books to get children excited, especially teaching English as a second language. Any of the Jackie Morris books are great for this including her new books written with Robert Macfarlane; The Lost Words and The Lost Spells. I read a lot of funny poetry to my class (a year older than yours?) Their favourite is Brian Patten's "The Trouble with My Brother" lots of lovely, simple repetitive language. You'll find the same with Pie Corbett and Michael Rosen. As for novels: Michael Morpurgo doesn't use slang or poor grammar - he has written many books for all ages. My other favourites are Emma Carroll, Abi Elphinstone (She has written picture books too - The Snow Dragon) and Hilary McKay. Good luck! Let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful. The joy of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was lovely, Nikki, especially the title and how you brought your post full circle. Eva and I are listening to Michael Morpurgo's Desert Island discs at the moment, what an amazing inspiration that man is. I believe you've sprinkled quite a bit of magic dust in your pupil's lives too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment