A time of waiting by Claire Musters

 


It seems quite fitting to be writing about waiting, when the season of Advent is nearly upon us. 

 

For many, this year seems to have felt like an unrelenting period of waiting – for the restrictions to be over, for God to break in, for an end to the virus…

 

Last week I caught up with all our worship leaders on zoom and we shared very openly. What we said seemed to be reflective of what I’m hearing from other sources too. Each person was facing very specific, and quite intense, challenges, but also felt almost trapped in a time of waiting.

 

Personally, as someone who is in the process of publication with a traditional publisher, I have experienced what many other authors have too – a book publication date put back due to Covid-19. What is already quite a long process has been elongated even more.

 

I must admit I have looked wistfully at the social media posts from those who have been creating books themselves through self-publishing, as books have appeared quite quickly this year – some written and published during lockdown. What a brilliant achievement for those of you who have done that!

 

While I’ve been waiting, I could have been working on the other books that I know I have inside of me, which my publisher has expressed interest in. However, I’ve realised I’m not ready to write them yet. I have had to learn to be more compassionate with myself as a result, even though my whole being seems to be waiting for something, crouching, unable to produce, and yet beginning to feel pregnant with it all.

 

It is certainly the strangest of times.

 

If, like me, you feel an overwhelming sense of waiting (even amidst some busyness), perhaps asking these questions could be helpful:

 

* What is God saying in this time of waiting? 

* Where is he at work?

* What does he want to teach you and how is he changing you, and perhaps your writing too, through this time of waiting?


Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. Her latest addition to the Insight Guides series, An Insight into Shame, was published in May 2019 and her latest Cover to CoverExodus God’s epic rescue was published in April 2020. She has also written a devotional on disappointment and loss (available as an eBook or physical book) and is writing a book on marriage alongside her husband (due to be published May 2021). She also writes Bible study notes and magazine articles. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. 

 

Comments

  1. This has really hit the spot for me. Wise words. Thank you, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. I identify with this very much. Thank you Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very wise words, Claire. I've spent so much time gazing longingly at others' achievements and wondering if I will ever get there. But that's not what God wants for us. I do know that. Waiting is so hard, especially when you're an impatient type like me. This blog has clarified something for me, though, and I thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Maybe a little compassion is what I need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment