Remaining resolute in hope by Claire Musters


Since the kids broke up for the summer holidays we have been gradually working our way through purchasing the list of uniform and equipment our son will require when he starts secondary school in September. On the list were four different types of footwear – when I questioned whether the boys would be doing all the contact sports that required three of those items I was told they hoped that each year group would indeed be able to do them, and so I was asked to ensure he had everything. 

Last week was a difficult one for me; I think not having much time to process what I had been doing the week before (sorting through mum’s clothes and other personal items) has taken its toll, as I seem to cry at the drop of the hat currently. However, I also had conversations with publishers about the many changes that have had to be made in the light of the pandemic. Changes that will probably affect me, both as an author but also a freelance editor.

 

As I was preparing for yet another shopping trip with my son, I began to think about the fact that we are buying items for him with the hope that he will get enough use out of them before he grows out of them! And, as writers, however difficult the publishing climate gets and, whether or not we in fact publish our work, we write out of hope too. Hope that our words will make it ‘out there’ but, even more than that, that our writing will touch others.

 

I have wrestled with deep and difficult emotions in recent days and there have been moments when I have felt like I wanted to give up. And yet I know, deep down, that the hope birthed in me won’t allow me to. I write because I feel called to and I know you do too. So can I encourage you – if you feel down or like giving up, either take a break or force yourself to simply sit down and write: do whatever you know will keep that hope inside of you resolute and strong.


Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. Her latest addition to the Insight Guides series, An Insight into Shame, was published in May 2019 and her latest Cover to CoverExodus God’s epic rescue was published in April 2020. She has also written a devotional on disappointment and loss (available as an eBook or physical book) and is writing a book on marriage alongside her husband (due to be published May 2021). She also writes Bible study notes and magazine articles. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. 

Comments

  1. This is good advice - as a freelance writer/journalist you have to 'keep going' and it sounds as if, even when it is hard, you're managing this. Your comments on children's books appear in Together magazine... etc. It's a bit different for those of us who write fiction, of course - the stories have to be created in our heads - and I've heard people say that the pandemic has stopped them in their tracks. I kind of hope too many aren't writing stories set in these times - we're not yet far away enough to assess it usefully - I am in 2007 in my series and glad of that, though it makes you think how we all wandered through life not prepared for an unimaginable future -which is, of course, what the future always is... I just hope people keep buying books - ironically, thy have been during 'lockdown' while at the same time, the publishing industry has been hit by drops in sales (in other areas such as journals, school text books, college books, etc) I do so hope it won't lead to electronic only! As we know, though, God does not change, and that encourages us to get to know the real God, not the one we may've thought he is... Keep going! The shoe thing sounds horrible - so expensive - I remember it - now they buy their own shoes and some for their offspring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, thank you for this. It can, indeed, be difficult at the moment, yet we do have hope

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment