Procrastination Stage by Kathleen McAnear Smith

Procrastination Stage

 

Personally, I believe in spending at least a little time in the beautiful Procrastination Stage of writing. 

I’ve been working at this all summer, and quite thankful that I still have the rest of August to put off writing that is gathering like a summer storm in my mind. 

From my Procrastination Summer, I share below the keys to this stage:



1.   Know you are being called to write something. Make a deliberate choice to not do it. In my case, I know Father God has graciously called me to write my first novel.  I use this time to argue, which puts off writing for at least a month. It goes like this:

 “Lord, really!?” 

“But I’ll put half the family in this novel and then they won’t speak to me.”

“I’ve always written ……..” (fill in your own blank and count that as your day’s writing).

Pray, “Lord, I’ll just wait on You (do say this in your most Holy prayer voice), to give me the story line”. This prayer is most effective when you know He’s already, deep within you, given you the storyline. You may extend this time with repentance. Seriously, it is useful to ask Him why you aren’t quite ready to write.

2.     2. Decide on a very necessary project that must be completed before you do anything else. In my case it is sorting and clearing the loft which has three countries worth of treasures from living overseas. I have been procrastinating on my procrastination project, and now I have a ritual of taking my morning coffee up in the attic in the heat of this summer. “Reminds me of teaching school in Jamaica”, I tell myself as I reflect on paperwork and old photos and even letters saved by my mother. The lovely outcome of this is the peace I feel at becoming quite organised. I also needed to visit our local tearoom and show community support. Lockdown can be hectic.

3.     3. Pray for a sign that will snap you out of this stage. It’s the only way to move forward, but I do feel embarrassed about this as I wonder if it isn’t the ultimate procrastination tactic. It’s easy to convince myself of “no sign? No work.”

This Procrastination Stage could become a way of starting every writing project. I love the laying about, orqdering books, getting the lounge chair out on the patio. It’s quite a summer holiday. Yet, something did come over me the other day and for some unknown reason I did #3. Silly me! The very next day I saw a notice on the ACW FB page about a first time novel prize. Well that woke me up! Apparently it had been posted before but my head was so far down into #2 (see above) that I missed it. Surely it’s a sign that I’m just about ready to begin the Preparation Stage, but I’ll do my best to linger in #2 until the end of August. Doesn’t seem right to start work before September, though I can’t think why. 

 

Love and blessings to anyone considering the great Procrastination Stage. All tips for loving this stage and not feeling guilty gratefully accepted in the comments below. Kathleen McAnear Smith has written three non-fiction books and is procrastinating about/ for her first novel. She is missing her grandchildren terribly. She loves to ride pillion on her husband’s motorbike. 


Comments

  1. I have this off to a fine art. I find procrastinating by sitting at my computer and writing something else to be great for procrastination as well. Buying new notebooks is another fab procrastination method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love the time spent buying new notebooks! Thank you Wendy for that timely reminder.

      Delete
  2. As always I am going to sound controversial: what is this 'procrastination'? So many in ACW are so happy to be writers, it's strange they also suffer from putting it off! Don't shoot the messenger, but it's a thought - isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I truly admire your controversy. I am going to spend some time pondering this. I LOVE being a writer, so why do I do this? Seriously good question.

      Delete
  3. Funny and true as always, Kathleen! Never did my house look so tidy or my drawers so well organised as when I had an essay due, back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! Organising is key to procrastination. We can justify putting this first, and I wonder if it is also perhaps a way to then justify NOT cleaning/organising when I’m deep into writing? Thank you Ruth.

      Delete
    2. I think you may have hit on something here, Kathleen. Can we find anything in the Bible to back up the actual spiritual need to procrastinate? There must be something. "And lo, she travelled to the attic in which she found the truth she sought." Or something like that. Maybe in Proverbs? It adds such an air of authority to one's meanderings.

      Delete
    3. Really, Ruth Leigh! "The Bible is not a text book for life..."!! Just joking - or not? "Personally a degree of organisation/cleanliness/etc of the home or other place of work assists the writer in feeling confident to spend time in the world of fiction..."(noe who wrote that? No, not Tolkien, and not HilaryMantel...

      Delete
  4. 'No sign, no work.'!! We go to such lengths!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s wonderful to be recognised among the super-spiritual. Oh wow you made me laugh! I am so delighted that I am now heading back up to the attic. Thanks Fran. :)

      Delete
  5. Heading to bed, but so far Ruth all I could think of was forty years wondering/wandering around the desert on what could have been an eleven day trip to the promised land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing, Kathleen. I looked! Hey ho.

      Delete

Post a Comment