Journaling Life's Journey by Nikki Salt


“I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train.” Oscar Wilde

 

Do you journal? What does your journal look like? When do you journal? Why do you journal? A few lines or a mini-saga?

 

Journaling has always been a part of my life and (I’m relieved to say) I share this rather self-indulgent habit with many others. Morning is my time, with a strong cup of coffee (my regular diet these days) sat in my favourite chair overlooking the beautiful, golden countryside or bleak wasteland (one's point of view of my view is very weather dependent) or simply sat in bed. My current journal is hard-backed, maroon red with thick creamy pages (good quality paper inspires me) lined delicately for my large, rounded writing.

Like many journalers, (I share this pastime with an assortment of people: Darwin, Einstein, Frida Kahlo, Thomas Edison, Virginia Woolf, Marco polo – to name but a few) I use journaling to sort through life, unscramble thoughts, record the good times and make sense of the not so good. Gratitude becomes my medicine and I find in the darkest moments of my life, a spoonful of gratitude goes a long way to restore and nourish. Journaling for me is like therapy. A time of cleansing and sorting.  

 

One of my greatest pleasures in life is starting a new journal. The first page is always the neatest, carefully written, even the ink colour is judiciously considered but as one flicks through the pages, my writing is varied, to say the least, some words are small, raw and painful while others are rushed and joyful, eager to get back to the day ahead. From my darkest, angry thoughts to inconsequential twittering, it’s all in there: a collection of emotions, a compendium of observations, a book of life.

 

“In the diary you find proof that in situations which today would seem unbearable, you lived, looked around and wrote down observations…” Franz Kafka

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I really admire you for finding time to do this. I've journalled at a few points in my life but mainly when I was a lot younger. I think I see my blog as a kind of journal, where I occasionally throw some of my thoughts and perspectives. But, of course, they're only the thoughts and perspectives suitable for public consumption ... and I only do it every week or fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I couldn't share some of my journal writings!!! I guess I've always done it and use it to process. Btw just finished your book - loved it! Will write a review!

      Delete
  2. Yes! I do this too (although sporadically these days which is interesting as I managed it most days when the children were small). I love the way you describe the impact the diary-writing can have on us. This describes it perfectly: '...some words are small, raw and painful while others are rushed and joyful, eager to get back to the day ahead. From my darkest, angry thoughts to inconsequential twittering, it’s all in there: a collection of emotions, a compendium of observations, a book of life.' I have just started a new one too. Oh, the joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Gratitude becomes my medicine and I find in the darkest moments of my life, a spoonful of gratitude goes a long way to restore and nourish." This really touched me, Nikki. I have never journalled and probably never will, but like Fran, I think my blog is my way of doing it. I know myself too well. I just don't have the self-discipline to do it, but I admire those who do. I love the sound of your journal with the thick paper. I would love to think of myself starting a new journal with crisp new leaves, gazing out of the window for inspiration, but in reality, I am far more likely to be hunched over my laptop propped up in bed. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Thank you for this lovely start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Though I must admit I write my novel in bed!! It's the best place for inspiration! The journaling is really for processing thoughts - in my case. X

      Delete
  4. Very encouraging piectNikki. I am presuming the journal picture is from Pixabay or similar, or do you journal in French? 😊I am trying to journal more regularly, thanks for the reminder of a spoonful of gratitude which I plan to mix in from today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I'm half French but that is not my journal!! Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. How true. I’ve been sitting up in my attic/loft reading through journals from the past.. I may be here awhile. No ironing. Dinner? Maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fabulous past time but unproductive in terms of housework!! I love going over old diaries and remembering the little things that I'd totally forgotten!

      Delete
  6. This was lovely, Nikki. I've done it in the past but I'm not very good at discpling my self to do it, plus my handwriting is awful. I've got one from twenty years ago, which is interesting to say the least.

    A spoonful of gratitude is far, far better for us, then a spoonful of sugar ;) and like, Deborah, I found this line really powerful. 'Some words are small, raw and painful while others are rushed and joyful' Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept a daily diary when a teenager but 'got up and made my bed' soon became a little boring to write every day, so I now keep a journal/prayer diary when I have something I need or want to say. I did keep a daily journal though during the first two and a half months of the lockdown. Great writing occupation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment